Upgrading PC

Guys,
In a few months I’ll be spending some money to upgrade my Q6600 (4 gb) PC.

I have a few questions and I’m hoping someone here will have some wisdom to share. Is AMD (say the 8350) a stable system or can I expect lots of crashes with it? I’ve always used intel but I’ve built a few AMD’s in the past for friends who wanted to save some money.

When I did build them, they seemed to work ok, but of course all I did was install the OS and perform updates. I never tried installing a DAW or any other hard working software like Sony Vegas on such a system.

Sure would appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Auggy

If you can be 100% certain that all the software and hardware you’ll be using on that PC now and in the future will work with an AMD CPU then go ahead and save a few $$$.

I think that with Intel you can be pretty sure…but not so with other CPUs.

Groovin,
Thanks for the response. That makes me worry a bit. Have you had bad experiences with AMD?

Does anyone have any insight on the AMD FX 8350? I’d like to know if this would be a good choice in comparison to an i7.

Can’t speak to your question as I am an Intel user but I did want to say that I love your user name… My favorite Star Wars satire included this character…

LOL Cpechet,
Isn’t that actor hilarious when he looks at the camera and rolls his eyes because of something Fluke says! LOL!

It’s the best… Honestly, whenever I see anything even remotely associated with the SW franchise I think of it… Can’t help myself… Wish they would do an updated version about Lucas selling the SW assets to Disney for 4bb… Now THAT’s worth a good eye-roll !!

I think stability wise AMD are just as reliable as Intel, that’s not an issue. What is an issue is whether or not AMD is really cheaper than Intel.
See this topic: clicky.

Make sure you read the gearslutz link JSChild posted in his last reply as well.

I would expect such incompatibilities are caused by the firewire chip used on the motherboard, not by the make of the CPU.
Of course a different CPU needs a different motherboard, but I don’t believe all AMD socket motherboards have bad firewire chips :stuck_out_tongue:

At least my own AMD systems (several) have been very good for DAW-use, too. Especially the current 6-core workstation. Will probably move to FX8350 or some later version some day, but so far my 6-core can easily handle everything I need to do. No compatibility etc. issues. Those were, as someone said, the curses of ancient VIA and other exotic chipsets, and a thing of a past now.