Edit Halion Sonic Program with Halion 4

I appreciate the effort.

I’m a bit disappointed with the copyright interpretation. That’s an extremely conservative reading of copyright. You might as well cripple all the effects and filters as well. It is the same reading of the rules. So, I can’t use the tool that is for the job to alter the sound, but I can do whatever I want with it externally? That makes no sense at all.

@Marcus, there is also question about update from @Cantankerous.

I know that Steinberg is very strict to information. But, please, it is possible to tell us if HALion 5 is in Steinberg kitchen and there is chance to be released this year? Or we need wait for next release cycle. I assume that priority in VSTi is on Grove

:bulb: Some of us have limited budgets for “Sound toys” and we need to adjust it very carefully. This kind of information and feedback is very important for me. Of course I love surprises but sometimes you need to rely on something stable…

Thanks Tomas

Hi guys,

I am very sorry and if I could I would open everything for editing…but I can not.

Cheers,

Marcus

It’s ok Marcus, you tried and we appreciate the communication. Halion 4 is still great in its own right, but luckily I rely on it more for my own samples and not the included ones and I don’t use the flexphraser at all, probably never will if it is so closed up. There are still many, many things that could be incorporated into Halion to make it even better and I am hoping for some additions that will help ease the pain of its shortcomings.

Marcus, I know you are just passing on info. I do appreciate it. I know you would if you could. I even understand the “reasoning” behind the information. I just don’t agree with it. This is just a tiny example of why copyrights are a broken misused thing these days. I mean think about it … you write content for a SAMPLER/ROMPLER, but for some reason you don’t want the people using the SAMPLER/ROMPLER from messing with the content? You’ve basically turned the H4 into a $400 mp3 player. Again, I know it isn’t you and in a way, not even Steinbergs for the decision. It is the overly latigious industry that music has become.

@Marcus - And question about updates?

At the end of the day copyrights are protected, but some potential customers stay away because those who heavily rely on (re)sampling, layering and mangling sounds, have very good and proven alternatives for years.

After the Wizoo debacle (also legal issues) I gave Steinberg the benefit of the doubt by early investing in Halion Sonic and Halion 4, mainly because of the good integration with Cubase. And I have to say, the integration is fantastic and I’ve learned it can really speed up your work when you can drag and drop directly from a Cubase project to your sample player (it feels like sampling 2.0 :wink:).

But for me, Halion 4 doesn’t come close to the sample player from Berlin I already own. And unfortunately I can’t drag and drop from Cubase’s project window to that one. Logical choice, change sequencer.

Customer gone, less business for copyright owners, but… copyrights protected!

When people ask to ‘open up the flexphraser’ I don’t think they’re saying ‘let me build an entire track by drag and dropping the phrases into my DAW in loop library-style’ , far from it. What I think people would like is more the ability to introduce useful, relevant musical variations into the phrases somehow, either by editing them, or ideally even being able to roll your own - within an editor in the HAL GUI perhaps, or by import of MIDI data, or some other method. Simply being able to do this would actually make the flexphraser, well…more flexible :wink:

Being able to work with it like the arps in say an M3 would be very nice … :slight_smile:

We are talking about the 148 GM- Set/ Layers, which are just some presets of over 2000 for all Sets.
The rest is and was FULLY editable.

Cheers,

Marcus

Yeah, I understand… I’m more worried about the continued misuse and “interpretation” of copyright, more than this particular set of sounds. Sorry, if my response seemed over the top.

EDIT: And in no way do I direct any frustration at you! I’m glad you guys are actually trying to discuss some of these touchier areas. Just remember that touchy subjects get touchy replies :smiley: Also forums aren’t the easiest method by which to impart subtleties or nuances … my posts tend to sound angry for some reason and I’m not an angry guy :laughing:

Hi JMCecil,

“no wories mate” and I always try to focus the “User” in me as well…
:wink:

Cheers,

Marcus

I always had a love hate with Steinberg Instruments …
Look at Dark planet as it’s own plugin you can’t drag it’s slice beats
to midi track . you would haft to use HS for this and any Editing of instruments
you need H4… and even that is locked up… :cry:
Hyper Sonic had more Editing capabilities you could mix and match Drums
and build a kit of your own. Im am so turned off by steinberg policies on there
Instruments :imp: I went to Native Instruments… and never look back
I still use HS as a default and will keep it’s vesion current.
but I will never buy another Steinberg VSTI, just burned to many times

I’m not happy about this restriction either, but it’s far from being a show stopper for me. I find Halion 4 a utterly creative tool that is fun to work with in any session for many reasons as is. My personal view after owing both Kontakt 4 and Motus Mach2 is that Halions library is the best and the most interesting factory library I’ve seen in a sampler, even with the mentioned limitation. That doesn’t mean I am happy with all 1600(?) factory presets, just that Halions competion are not any better in this filed. Again, my personal view.

Though, to be clear, Hypersonic wasn’t a SB instrument - it was only branded by SB; the actual product was nothing to do with them. Thus, difficult to use it to ‘bash’ on SB per se

Among the things Halion is good at is sampling. Just mentioning it… :wink:

errr … Halion doesn’t sample at all

Is the sky actually blue?

sometimes :slight_smile:

but seriously, Halion has no capability to sample. It is an editor not a sampler. (unless I’m missing where all the audio capture functionality is, which is possible)

What you say is of course entirely correct. However, I’ve accepted and adopted the term sampler when talking about ROMplers in the same way I’ve accepted that people are using the term project studio in spite of the owner lacking both real projects and a studio :slight_smile:

I haven’t :smiley: I still choose to live in reality. I don’t believe that everyone should get a trophy at grammar school sporting events either. Supporting a delusional view of the world is silly at best and extremely harmful at worst (proliferation of pseudo science, scoffing at scholarly pursuits as an unnecessary waste of time and elitist etc…). If we would simply call things what they are, we would be a lot better off.