Cubasis and Nanokey Problem

I plugged my Nanokey 2 in to play and record different Audiobus Synths through Cubasis but it’s not working.
Nanokey works with the INTERNAL instruments of Cubasis and the apps (Animoog,Sunrizer,NLog etc…)respond to the Cubasis keyboard or pads but no luck with NK and Apps.Of course i selected the correct Midi in and outputs.in fact i tried every possible combination and otherwise the apps wouldn’t work woth the internal keyboard as well.nanokey is also visible in Cubasis as an own In/Output .Any suggestions?

Anyone?

Guess it’s a Cubasis related bug.Nk works with all apps and with cubase internal instruments but not with other apps through cubasis.

Unfortunately do i not own other Class Compliant Midi Keyboards to test.Maybe soembody else could give it a try?Would be interesting to see if it’s only with NK or other keyboards as well.

Hello,

i tried to create a similar setup here. I connected a Yamaha Motif using the Camera Connection Kit to an iPad 3 and it works as I would expect. I just recorded a track using Korgs iPolysix from within Cubasis.

However, I don’t have a Korg Nanokey here to test. We will discuss this problem and see whether it might be related to your keyboard.

Kind regards,
Frieder

Hi Frieder,thanks for your response!

And sorry,i forgot to add something important:i guess what you experience is that many(most?)synths apps have all available Midi inputs"on"by default.So you are not playing them through Cubasis,they will always play no matter what channel or midi output you select in Cubasis.Try it with sunrizer,go to the midi settings and you will see all available inputs are active (Nanokey,Cubasis and Seesion 1 in my case).Deactivate your keyboard input and try it again.You should not be able to hear a sound then.Although it’s still possible to use cubasis internal keys and sunrizer will respond to the recorded midi notes (that you recorded with your external keyboard!)as well.

A small workaround could be to record your desired notes (from sunrizer etc.)and change the midi channel in cubasis and sunrizer to a different one.The Nanokey sends midi by default on channel 1 only (same like most other keyboards i guess).But it wouldn’t be the most comfortable solution :wink:

Hello,

thanks for the clarification.

What you are experiencing is intended. This topic was already raised regarding triggering of external sound modules (see Midi out to sound module - Cubasis - Steinberg Forums). Cubasis does not automatically forward what it receives at its MIDI-IN to its MIDI-OUT at the moment. You can find more details in the manual in the section about the inspector.

As you explained, the workaround would be to record your MIDI events first.

Kind regards,
Frieder

Thanks for the update and the link.Well,i’m quite shocked that such a basic function is missing.Especially in an app with"Cubas…is"in its name :wink: Doesn’t make any sense to me.I don’t think that it’s hard to implement,a lot of (much cheaper)apps already have this feature.But it seems i’m not the only one wishing this so i’ll just wait for an update then.

Hello,

you are absolutely right. At the moment, we hope to be able to include this feature in the 1.2 update.

Kind regards,
Frieder