2:15 Minutes to Open Project?

Btw, I submitted specific times comparing 6.5 to 7 for several kinds of projects to Helge. No word back yet. All of the test projects take 5 times longer to load and close in v7. It also takes longer to launch and close the apps themselves (with no projects).

What are your full system specs? (OS, SSD etc)
Did you originally create this in 32bit and are now opening in 64bit?
The e-license update is supposed to help with load times, have you tried that?
What is Largeish? 25, 40, 120 Tracks?

More info is needed form people with this problem in order to deduce and figure out why some do and some don’t

For me, I see the load issue even with the simplest task of opening a template project to start, 24 empty tracks, no plugins, no instruments. 16 vst input connections and 16 vst outputs. When I begin the empty project, you see the loading tracks scroll across. It gets to loading mixconsole and slows down incredibly as it loads all inputs, tracks, outputs etc. This is extremely slow with 7.01 (64 and 32bit). Not bad with 7.0 (64 and 32 bit). On 6.5, which is loaded on the same computer it is very fast. So for my situation, on the same system Cubase loads fine with 6.5, a little slower with 7.0 but really slow with 7.01. What else I see is if I go to device setup in 7.0, make any changes or even press cancel it takes a full minute for the device setup options to close. 6.5 is fine.

Glad to oblige. :

My system specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
RAM: 16GB
6.5: 64-bit
7.0.1: 64-bit
Sound Card: RME Multiface (Driver v3.31)

All projects originally created in 64-bit.

eLicenser updated. No difference.

Small project = 1 instrument
Large = 5 MIDI tracks and 20 audio tracks

Still waiting to hear back from Helge.

I’d say that’s a medium project :slight_smile:

So far for me, the 3 things I’d look at 1st are the Drive configs, The SC/Midi Driver and if AMD is playing well with C7. i.e. the settings within Cubase…

QQ, Your Hard Drives, HDD or SSD and is everything on 1 drive or spread out?

I appreciate your feedback. I have 4 drives: 1 each for OS, Programs, Data and Projects. As for the driver config, I was having no problems with 6.5. Can’t imagine what it would be about the configs that C7 does not like.

Also worth noting: as of last night there was an updated RME driver (talk about timing!). After updating, the C7 load/close times are unchanged.

What internal Cubase settings would you suggest I look at? I wonder if Lapicide is also using an AMD CPU?

45 seconds here.

Longer than 6.5 yes. :cry:

I am using Intel Xeon.
MickGael, do you have 6.5 on the same system? I do and 6.5 is fine. So I wonder what changed. When opening 7.0 I don’t see the “loading mixconsole” window , but with 7.01 I do see the “loading mixconsole” window especially all the inputs and outputs which go really slow when starting a project or opening an existing one.

Yep, I still have 6.5 installed (working flawlessly), and I wonder the very same thing. I’m not in love with 7 generally, but these load/close times are crazy. Interesting catch on the “loading mixconsole”!

Still no word back from Helge, I’m afraid. I wish a Mod would at least chime in.

same problem here,

7.0 was fine but the 7.01 update screwed it up. Takes about 1 sec to load each input channel/track.

Sure as hell hope that the imminent update fixes this. It has long since become very tiresome. :slight_smile:

Same feeling here, I have been holding off on reinstalling from scratch, trying different video cards troubleshooting etc. hoping the issue will somehow for some reason improve with the update. Once I have some spare time I’ll update, see what happens and go from there.

Curious to see if you experience any improvements in 7.0.2. I’m not. :frowning:

Tried deleting your preferences?

just installed 7.02 and no change in load times. :cry:

hmm, which preferences?

Question for Mick…

Are these projects imported from 6.x?

If so I am going to suggest that you uninstall/re-install from scratch… OR… don’t bother trying to import. I say that well aware how often various numbskulls immediately jump to that as the cure for anything from acne to cancer.

However, I have had numerous (minor) ‘flakeys’ with Cubase 7 and -almost- all of them have to do with either
a) importing 6.0 CPRs
b) importing settings from 6.0

As vague and pseudo-science as this will sound, my strong feeling is that C7 has a -lot- of little changes to various file structures and just doesn’t handle ‘confusion’ with certain elements of older CPRs and 6.x settings.

My issues have been with: MixConsole UI bugs. Retrospective Record periodically dying, Key Commands disappearing. Many program preferences being ‘forgotten’. Generic Remote settings not working.

None of those problems seem to occur when I start with a ‘fresh’ project.

—JC

I tried renaming the defaults.xml, but this didn’t seem to help load times.
I imported lots of the preference files from 6.5, but load times in 7.00 were fine.
Loading projects are slow no matter if they are a new 7 project or a 6.x or even nuendo 2.x.
7.02 did speed up the closing of preferences and device manager, from like 10 sec to 3-5. Still seems slow though.

Im on a i7 @ 4.0G with win7-64/cubase32/vst’s on SSD.

Just out of curiosity: Why not run Cubase 64?

—JC

some older vst’s i use r not compatible, as well as compatibility for opening older projects that use non compatible vst64 plugs. I do mostly mixing/tracking so no real need for the extra memory of the 64bit.