Recommend a compatible audio interface (2 in 4 out)

I too like the Alesis unit it keeps the components to a minimum. I am hoping someone will develop a “snap-on” set of microphones and that’s it…As said, the technology is new and it devlops rapidly.

Thanks Stevo, the Alisis looks great! And has the right spec for what I’d like to do. my concerns now are if I’m going to have load each project as and when how long will that take and will the processor on the iPad 4 cope ok?
Richard

EDIT: I’ve just had a look online and it seems the alesis that you mentioned would only work with iPads that have the 30 pin dock connector, does anybody know of a solution for this? Or have alesis released a newer model supporting the lightening connector?

That’s a good point Richard. The latest iPad with the lightning connector isn’t supported yet. I guess it will be in development if the original iO Dock has been a good seller, but I haven’t seen any reports to support this thought.
There are some other interfaces that you could consider, check the ones stated on the Steinberg website under Cubasis. The Alesis solution is nice and neat though with everything in the one box, so to speak.

Maybe try posting a separate question about load time of a project as current users must be able to give a general idea. I would be interested in knowing this as well since I plan to load projects for live work like yourself.

I still haven’t found a working solution to my issue yet either. Need to keep looking I suppose.

I won’t be buying Cubasis either until I know there is a working solution.

Cheers

Stevo…

Thanks Stevo!

I have a couple of issues at the moment. 1, the available hardware seems to be designed for the earlier iPads, Cubasis as yet doesn’t have program change so I would have to manually change patches between each songs.
I’m going to take your advice and start a new thread. thanks fella and good luck with your search. Is your act covers act or originals?

Regards

Richard.

Hello everyone!
Decided to check out cubasis… Very cool.
May I recommend somewhat of a sleeper in the iOS world-
The Akai EIE. 4 in 4 out, 1 midi din I/o, and a USB hub built in to connect midi controllers.
Runs at 44.1/16 bit which is perfect for cubasis. Works with lightning adapter too.

This is from last summer, but still relevant!
Glad to be here! :smiley:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will be checking that out.
Couple of questions for you dubhausdisco

1. Are you able to specify which outputs your tracks send to? For example, Stereo track 1 in Auria to outputs 1&2 of the Akai and stereo track 2 in Auria to outputs 3&4 of the Akai.
  2. Have you tried Cubasis yet and if so, does question 1 work in Cubasis?
    This is what I would expect to happen with Cubasis, but since it lacks some other standard things like midi program change and tempo/time signature control, I would rather ask the question.

Thanks

Stevo…

Hey Richard,
Check out the Akai that dubhausdisco recommended. May be a solution for us both.
In answer to your question - I do both, but the covers band is the one requiring the backing.

Later

Stevo…

Stevo1080,
I will check it out with cubasis, just downloaded last night.
What you are asking works with Auria, and any other app that supports multiple audio outs.
Also I forgot to mention it has inserts on the inputs, (nice feature), and one of those input/output monitor mixers built in.
Very flexible unit, and built like a tank!

Thanks for the info dubhausdisco. Look forward to your report on how it goes with Cubasis.
Looks like a nice little unit and not too expensive either. Could be the solution I am looking for.
Just need a bit more from Cubasis now and I can stop hauling my Fantom G to gigs along with a drumkit :slight_smile:

Thanks again

Stevo…

After a brief overview of the app and the manual, there doesn’t appear to be any way to access any outputs of the sound card other than 1/2. Looks like just a software issue, as other apps are able to do it. If anyone else has different info please let me know.
Having a great time with the app so far!
Steinberg- bring back the “true tape” or whatever that input saturation effect was back in the day!

Thanks! :smiley:

Thanks for the test and overview dubhausdisco. That’s a real shame about the unsupported multiple outs. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
One of the audio interfaces that is recommended on the Steinberg site is the RME Fireface and this has 6 or 8 outputs.
I would imagine that all of the outputs work from Cubasis with it or it would be worthless shelling out £800 for.
So, as you say, probably a software issue. Don’t know if Steinberg have to explicitly code for each supported audio interface or something.

Looks like the keyboard stays until there is a Cubasis that works with a reasonably priced audio interface with multiple outs. Or maybe Auria will beat Steinberg to it and implement a full midi spec, in which case I know where my money is going since it already supports the Akai…

Cheers for your help.

Stevo…

Well, I can’t say for sure it doesn’t work… But I’ve checked all of the usual places in the app but I will keep looking.
I would imagine either cubasis supports multiple outs or it doesn’t, the core audio device shouldn’t matter much.
Ill get back to ya

Hi Stevo,

yay the EIE looks great!.. thanks for the info Dubhousdisco! Be really cool if the 4 out can work! If Steinberg gets midi and Tempo Track then I’m sorted! …Stevo is there a work around for you if you trigger an external sound module for the metronome you need?

Richard

Funnily enough Richard, I was thinking the same thing and I have a Roland sound canvas and a Korg O5R/W kicking about that I don’t use. They are both half rack and would fit beside something like the Akai EIE.
Would also provide me with a headphone out and do away with the headphone amp I currently use.

I may wait a while to see what developments there are in the app world before committing since I have a working, all be it rather heavy, solution with the keyboard. I will be keeping an eye on what’s happening in the forum too.

Cheers

Stevo…

If it means something, I got a response form Alesis about their ioDock and its’ lightening plug versus the older connection. Their rep said they are currently finishing manuals for new product introduced at NAMM but their ios line is expanding . Just not yet ready to divulge what it might be ???

Thanks for the info. All information kindly accepted. :smiley:
Wonder when the thing will hit the stores though…

Cheers

Stevo…

Presonus VSl series are iPad compatible (2inn/2out - 4in/4out - 18 in/18 out)
RME too but more expensive !

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Stevo…

@dubhausdisco

Can you post and let us know if multi channel input/output is now available on the Akai EIE/IO since the Cubasis 1.2 update?
Much appreciated.

Cheers

Stevo… :smiley:

Lightning to 30-pin adapter. Look at the link!