Poll: Is Cubasis your first DAW?

Hi there.
I have a tascam 2488, could it be considered as a DAW?

I am using cubase7
I started using cubase in version 5.
It’s really wonderful DAW.
However the bugs in Cubasis make me disappointed.
Moreover, there is not enough function in Cubasis that I desire.

No. My first DAW was Twelve Tone Systems’ Master Track Pro (a billion years ago). It was MIDI only no audio, it’s now Sonar. Went from it to Logic until they dropped the PC version. Been using Cubase since - now with Cubase 7.

My interest in Cubasis is strickly as a sketch pad that I can use from the comfort of the hamock at the cottage or travelling, etc. and be able to get ideas back into my desktop to expand upon

Cheers
Denis

I’ve used a ton of DAWs, on Windows (98, 2000, XP, and 7), OS X, and iOS.

Windows: Cool Edit Pro/Audition, Acid Pro, Tracktion, Reaper, Studio One
OS X: Logic, GarageBand, Reaper, Studio One
iOS: GarageBand, Auria, Multitrack DAW, and now Cubasis

On iOS, Cubasis is definitely the best so far. Best layout, easiest to use, yet very powerful, particularly with the Audiobus implementation.

I used DAWs since the early days in 1996 with a “DAW” that would allow audio multitrack but without monitoring. Then at one point I saw that modern DAWs with their tons of features actually killed my creativity instead of boosting it, as I would start looking at songs in a modular way, working my way through the process of songwriting in a “part-to-part” manner rather than finishing the structure on my acoustic guitar first, long before even thinking of recording. I then tweaked so many good songs to death that at one point I just turned away from all that and bought a TASCAM 2488 NEO, a digital 24-Track recorder. This thing still allowed copy/paste operations, but due to a small screen this was a PITA forcing me to play everything right without many backdoors that would let me sneak through. This really boosted my overall creativity and helped me regain my musical skills that had suffered during the past years of beeing a “piont-and-click” musician.

Cubasis and a few MIDI toys are a perfect addition to this, allowing me to work out a song structure and - thanks to great tools as the Apogee Mic, Jam and DUO and iRig Keys - I can now even prepare a whole lot on my iPad and transfer these tracks to the NEO. Still a lot of “hand made” music without sacrificing too much on the quality side.

Hi, this is my first post.

Let me explain a little.
Anyone reading this? Congratulations,you are now reading about the most incompetent moron ever to have bought a DAW.
I actually own Reaper, Cubase a5, Mixcraft Music Daw etc etc. and you know what?.. They all might as well be written in Greek …( obviously the Greek versions are of course).
I am a singer period. I thought it would be a good idea to get some tracks down with a couple of guitar buddies…they abandoned the good ship DAW ages ago.
We recorded the guitar parts on CD and I said I would import said track to Cubase or Cubasis.
I never figured it out…I gave up after a week. It wouldn’t transfer .
After slinging my Ipad 4 into the corner of the room I have decided to go back to my simple multitracker.
Cubasis does look nice though.
After I have visited the doctor I might try again but my head hurts so much.
I congratulate you all for being so clever …could it be that I’m in my 60’s methinks?

By for now

Brainiac,

It must be the 60’s…I think you took many of the thoughts I have had over the last 8 years as a Cubase user. I am turning 60, my first computer was a Vic 20 in 1983. As a super user, I can hold my own on many computer applications but Midi and recording have made me nuts too many times. I am a guitar player for over 50 years and thought that since I had few others to “jam” with, I would put down some tracks and sit back and listen. That took a few years of trial and error to get right and that is only the same as reel to reel recording.

Just recently discovered applying effects to my recorded audio. Surprised the hell out of me with time stretch. Seems like I may never get fully going in Cubase or Cubasis without enrolling in a a basic course . YouTube helps somewhat but it ain’t like hands on doing it with a bit of guidance

I have 8 years invested in Cubase and $o many upgrade$. In spite of the lackluster recordings void of drums, and other great stuff I read about here, it still puts a smile on my face to hear back what I put down with the hope of enhancing it even further for “posterity” once I figure out some of those other greats like media bay and some of the other parts.

Since I have a few more opportunities to record live these days, I decided to go with Cubasis and thought of using it as a compact recorder for live audio. I have it now about 10 days and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I’ve seen some great reading and listened to some really nice recordings. If I had to make a living out of it like some here, I’d surely starve. But I just cannot get passed the idea of the machine creating the backup tracks for me. I tend to be stuck thinking I am the audio source for every instrument. While I can play several, I cannot get them all in a room…oops, studio with my computer and mics.

Yup, some here are remarkably clever. I’m only hoping by being exposed to it, some might just rub off. :smiley: don’t give up yet

@knuckle47

Honestly, I think you should be looking at buying a used Tascam 2488 NEO and a few mics. To record live jam sessions, there still is no better thing than that IMHO.

Agreed , but funny you say that. I did have a 16 channelTascam porta studio and it was quite nice. I still have a few reel to reel decks I cant just throw out. It just seems that as time passes and things change, updating is supposed to take you to the new and improved.

My first motorcycles were kick start…updates brought me to a push button electric starter. New AND improved
I guess I just believed that it would be the same for recording too. Time to start recognizing MY limitations

Sorry to hear you are frustrated. Lucky for you tho you’ve decided to join in on the Cubasis forums. I encourage you to ask for help in these discussions to get you over the learning curve.

Hi again,

I suppose knuckle47 and me ought to form an old gits Cubase club!..that would be fun
I was what I call dyslexic at maths when I was at school so I suppose that doesn’t help,and the fact that I’m a singer and not a musician - that’ll ruffle a few feathers…only kidding.
It does seem that compared to say, a digital multitracker that the quote “sledgehammer to crack a nut” seems to appear in ones head when attempting this DAW milarky - don’t know if that’s how you spell milarky.
I do know that it is more confusing the more DAWS you have,.indeed I have noticed that when one DAW closes…
Couldn’t help that.
There are no easy DAWS for us old codgers though that’s for certain.
D you know how many attempts I had at registering my Ci2 ? I gave up on that one too…lucky that I’ve still got about 235 logins left before I’m forced to .Ive worked it out that if I use my Ci2 just once a week I’ll be in my late 60’s before I have to register…by then I’ll probably not know what planet I’m on anyway!

It’s a larf though in it…NO

New inspiration ! I saw a man on the nightly news last night that had a problem he had hidden for 89 years… He never learned to read. He had many honors and achievements but could not even read what they were for. So , you know, a librarian taught him how to read. His last comment in that story. " do it now, you ain’t learn in’ nuthin’ in the box"

Well gee, that’s good enough for me

Hello,

my DAW-History:
(Windows) Logic > Cubase SX (changed to MAC) > Cubase until 5.5 > Reaper + Logic

This “DAW’s” i’m using on iPad:
MultitrackDAW, Beatmaker 2, Auria, Cubasis

my best results using:
WNA Genome for Midi-Sequencing + MultitrackDAW for recording 24Bit from Audiobus synths and samplers
(sometimes Midi-Master-Clock from MoDrum, because it has the most stable Midi-Clock of all iPad-Apps)
…and finnishing the Tracks in Auria

BUT, the Cubasis Interface looks more perfect than Beatmaker 2 or Auria to me and i hope Cubasis will record 24Bit-Depth, send Midi-Master-Clock and can record and send all Midi-Controller-Data including Poly-Aftertouch (as Genome does) soon…

Here a little live session video i’ve made:

(Apps: Audiobus, Caelestis, PeterVogelCMI, Figure, LiveFX, Audioshare and “mastering” in Auria)

Cheers from Hamburg
Bianca (Ungifted)

I took Audio Engineering in college in the last couple of years for four semesters. We used ProTools, but I don’t have the money to really invest into something that expensive, especially with the upgrades and me having a Mac. I also felt like using my MacBook Pro to do animation, Adobe stuff like After Effects/Photoshop, coding, AND music production was going to have a bad effect in my hardware too.

I’ve also used GarageBand, Logic, and some others. I didn’t find Logic very good compared to ProTools. It was like relearning how to use a DAW.

Cubasis works very well on my iPad Mini, and I plan to get a MIDI interface to use with it. It’s great for my personal use. Probably will buy Audiobus later on too so I can use Figure and some other apps I have.

My first daw was reason 2.5 and if propellerheads are going to release a reason (with audio recording) for ios it would be tempting:)
I always liked cubase, but somehow i never managed it to work properly on my pc, mostly because my pc was the central computer in the house used by multiple persons, so it simply wasnt stable enough with al that adaware and stuf the others installed. Also i im not rich, i dont have a creditcard so i was never able to buy a decent asio card.
Atill i always wanted to work with synths like the arturia moog modular v or the ems synthi a vst’s wicht i am missing in reason…

I also tried the free LMMS, both on windows and linux
Propellerheads rebirth, on pc and ios.

I bought practically al the major daws for ios
Nanostudio, very nice with its very good sounding 16 virtual analog eden synthesizers. Amazing that it runs fine on an ipad 1! If i had a wicht than it would be something like the eden synthesizer internally in cubasis. Audiobus is nice but all the other synts take singlehanded more recources as all the 16 different ede synthesizers together.

I recorded this track with the korg ims20 synth trough audiobus into cubasis.( live, so i could tweak the sounds during recording) - YouTube
and i had to redo the take 5 times because of audio drop outs during recording, luckily i could cut and paste very nicely in the song in cubase , so i just took the loops where the drop outs where out of the mix and actually left one in (at the last third of the song because that one accidentally souded cool :slight_smile:

With build in synths you would not have that problem…

I also have beatmaker2 and tabletop.

Although i made songs with them all i decieded to concentrate on cubasis because of its better workflow and the hope that all those issues as automation, clock and internal synths wil come at the end, but is fyou want to make me realy happy than it would be this version of cubasis for windows 8 touch pc’s

Imagine a 20 inch 10 point touchscreen with a i7 processor where your onscreen keyboard, your mixer and your buttons are all life size. That would be awesome…
Although i wold prefer it if apple would make a 20 inch i7 ipad:)

Sorry to hijack this post, but it is for a good (Cubasis) reason.
iOS MARS has the poll going for the best DAW on iOS going now:

http://main.iosmars.com

Please vote :slight_smile:

Proud owner of Cubasis with its cutting edge 1990’s workflow. :wink: Cubase was my first all in one (midi/audio) workstation back when. When Ableton brought out Live, it was an opportunity to expand my approach. Now on the iPad, which is itself a kind of DAW with the help of Audiobus, there are a lot of alternatives to the traditional multitrack workflow as well. Anyway, Cubasis is smooth and enjoyable experience for linear multitrack work, and i think they’ve done a good job translating to the touch screen. I just hope they keep an open mind to possibilities and not lock in to their comfort zone too much, but it is their thing.

Well, since this is my very first post on the Steinburg forum ever I feel I must clarify my answer as yes Cubasis is my first DAW. It is my first computer based DAW but only if you follow that criteria. For years I’ve used my Yamaha AW16G and still do. My reasons being as I have a great distrust in “Swiss Army Knife” systems. I prefer a hammer to only be a hammer and a screwdriver to only be a screwdriver. With my AW16G I wasn’t ever bothered with updates, new apps, new software etc. These are things that I find tend to distract very many musicians from actually creating music. It’s about the limitations.
Unfortunately, one of the limitations finally caught up to me. The AW16G is so old that it doesn’t have USB. AND! It doesn’t tell you when the hard drive is getting close to full.
Without USB, in order to get a song onto my computer, (my wife’s) :wink: , I had to burn a CD first. Plus, one day while recording my friend a message came up telling me that I didn’t have enough space to save what we had recorded. :blush:
I also do a lot of recording on my Korg Kronos but it only has 2 inputs plus USB. When I record I sometimes using a few more than 2 ins.

My one major concern is that I too will get caught up in the vortex of apps and other things.

So now, here I am. I’ve bought a 4th gen iPad with 128 gig, a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and I’m going to get Cubasis as soon as my wife stops playing games on MY iPad!
I play guitar and bass. Oh yeah, and sing!

Pleased to meet you all

Jeremykeys

Jumped ship from Cakewalk (when it was still called that) to Cubase many years ago. Been doodling with music on and of, making music for a couple of years then nada for a couple of years then back into it again. Dunno why really. Circumstances around you in life I guess. Anyway, still got a non up to date Cubase DAW, and iOS got me back into messing around with music again with Auria and all the cheap synths. Now I’ve finally bought Cubasis (as a long time Cubase user I would have gotten it day 1 if I didn’t already have a an iOS DAW). Looking forward to see Cubasis grow, still a bit wobbly on its legs but nothing future updates will sort out eh? :slight_smile:

/ChrisG

I started with FL Studio.Then dabbled with Studio One and now using Cubase 7 and Cubasis.