Audiobus vs Virtual Midi

Audiobus vs Virtual Midi

Postby SuStudio » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 pm

iKMultimedia has a new e-piano app out that sounded great at NAMM last month. Unfortunately it doesn't support Audiobus but it does support Virtual Midi. Can you still use this in Cubasis?
Cubase 6.5 & 7.5 - Cubasis & ICPro
Macbook Pro 2.66 i7 - OS 10.8.5 8GB Ram - Dual internal drives
NI Audio6, Novation SLMKII, True P-Solo, Numerous VSTi & plug-ins.
SuStudio

Re: Audiobus vs Virtual Midi

Postby PhilW » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm

You can record in the IK app and then copy and paste the audio to Cubasis. And you can use Virtual Midi to drive the app from Cubasis. Audiobus makes the process more seamless (effectively replacing the copy and paste steps and ensuring that everything stays in sync) but there are still ways to use other apps like iLectric that are not (yet?) on the bus.
PhilW

Postby SuStudio » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks Phil! Not sure why the iK guys missed the Audiobus support and, unfortunately, I wasn't using Cubasis at the time I saw them at NAMM...otherwise I would have heckled them during the demo ;-)

Does virtual MIDI paint an audio track like Audiobus does or is it just MIDI info like recording directly to VSTi's from within Cubasis?

Thanks again!
SuStudio

Postby PhilW » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Virtual Midi is just Midi data but it allows you to control one app from another within the same device without any Midi cables etc. So you can control Sampletank from Cubasis or play Thumbjam from Geo Synth for example. I understand that Ik is working on adding Audiobus to the Sampletank app, that will probably be the first. My view is that we are rapidly reaching the stage that any serious music app is going to have to have Audiobus before people will even consider getting it. No AB, No Sale!
PhilW

Postby SuStudio » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Ok, understood and I agree completely about the lack of AB resulting in lack of interest from consumers. Thanks for the great info Phil!
SuStudio

Postby Akamarko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Ik Multimedia has mentioned on their Facebook page that Audiobus support is coming. Unfortunately it also sounded like it is 2 updates away since they were already working on other features before they even considered Audiobus. This goes for SampleTank. ilectric Piano, iGrand etc.

But you never know, they may surprise us.
iPad 2, iPhone 5, Mac Mini
iRig Keys, iRig Mic, iRig guitar, You Rock Guitar (midi guitar) Mobile In Guitar, GarageBand, Alchemy, Sunrizer, Cubasis, Music Studio, Amplitube, Mobile POD, MultiTrack, bs-16i, SampleTank, AudioBus, AmpKit, JamUp XT, G2M
Epiphone Les Paul Special GT
Music For iPad
Akamarko

Postby Trussrod » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 am

SuStudio wrote:iKMultimedia has a new e-piano app out that sounded great at NAMM last month. Unfortunately it doesn't support Audiobus but it does support Virtual Midi. Can you still use this in Cubasis?

Until IKM support Audiobus here is a workaround - I made a little tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIXYQcFI8VU
"Komm wir essen Opa." Satzzeichen retten Leben.
Trussrod

Postby knuckle47 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 am

I see an opportunity for a whole new series of how to videos.... Great explanation and excellent work.
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Return to Cubasis