anti-static

I’m optimizing my studio environment to protect equipment from dust etc.

I have a good air purifier that uses ionization. However, this only addresses the reduction of dust etc. in the air but cannot inhibit electronic equipment from attracting and holding dust etc. I figure there has to be a product that reduces static.

The studio size containing most equipment is approx. 20 x 30. Any suggestions?

I realize that this isn’t a usual question but certainly those of you who are professionals must have something to maximize the longevity of equipment. I appreciate any help. ~ thanks

Dust Rag, Very funny Steve :laughing: Actually, I do wipe down all of my equipment and cover almost daily OCD :unamused: . Next day as much dust as before. Although, my ionization air filter is making a difference on the amount of dust. My main concern is optical disc drives. I’m fearful of using any kind of aerosol removers - duh not good for optical r/w. I figure that addition of creating a low static room would be extremely helpful. The more I can do the better. My studio is a separate room and is heated via a Rinnai with a good filter. So there are no ducts. I live in the mountains where it is cool all summer so windows do get open which really doesn’t create more dust, just adds fine dirt particles. Maybe I should work in the vacuum of deep space and musical frontier ha ha.

Did some research yesterday and found a couple of suggestions.
Of course, use a good cloth.
Of course, use spray.
A humidifier is suggested. I don’t think I want to use on in my studio though.
Two best bets are:

1. Use a good air purifier of which I already have. Flair is the brand I use can also sanitize. However, both features
    cannot be used at the same time. The model I use works via ionization and believe me it works. The filter collects a
    lot of dust but even more so, I can tell as soon as I enter a room where one is use as I can breathe far more easily than
    any other space. Another plus, is that the Flair purifier does not take up much space. You can find the on Amazon
    with the following link:
    Amazon.com : flair air purifier If this doesn’t work, go to Amazon and type in flair under the category “Home and Kitchen.”
  2. An item that I find of interest are anti static mats which can be placed beneath electronic equipment. I haven’t
    found any one who has used this product but looks interesting to me. I plan to buy one and see how well it works.
    This are made by Ted Pella Inc.
    The following is the link to the product: Anti-Static and Static Control Products

Interesting. I bought dust covers for my dust-sensitive equipment. Now this is a Dutch shop, but I’m sure you can find something similar where you live. They make dustcovers by hand for every product you can think of, and you can also give them dimensions. They’ve lasted me a good while now, and they’re cheap too!

The website is really ancient, and so is their billing system, but it works :slight_smile:. (they actually send the product through mail with the receipt, you have to pay after receiving the product. WIN!
Good customer service too, had a problem with 1 cover and they sent me a new one for free 2 days later.

http://www.compu-cap.nl/shop.phtml

Thanks for reading into these further.

I did some more research and find that form me all I need are filters for fans. I already have a filter built into the doors of my rack computer purchased from Sweetwater. It’s made of a foam material.I can easily remove the top to my rack computer via 3 screws and spray away with compressed air. In fact, I leave the 3 screw off so I can easily slide the top off. I clean this once a month.

What I found in my research for making ones own fan filters was quite interesting and some totally outrageous :unamused:
The ones I like can be made from dryer sheets or out of vacuum cleaner dust filter. I’m going to try using a dryer sheet first fitting it loosely on the outside of my fans as I think the vacuum filers seem like they might be too dense causing heat built up. Although users believe otherwise.

A highly recommended and best hailed option seems to be polyurethane foam. I doubt that I can find such a product easily, nor in the size/amount needed (what to do with so much access?). It is also pricey.

I’m most concerned about my Vinpower Sharkcopier 15 CD/DVD Duplicator. There are several companies that make a special dust cover/filter that will encase an entire computer with no need to remove it while in use. Their prices aren’t too bad. I think I’m going to contact one of the companies (after further research for a quality one) to custom fit the duplicator.

I will still use my Fair air filter and will add a second one during summer as windows will be open. I live in the mountains where it’s relatively warm and cools down at night making using an air conditioner a $$$ grabber.
I know I said - was against use of humidifier in original or previous post, but I’ll try using one. But, will keep it far away from equipment and not pointed at it either. I have a remote temp/humidity “thermometer” to keep track of humidity levels.

This should be it for me regarding anti-static which turned into a dust filter thread. I will happily take any further suggestions or judgments as to what I’ve chosen to do in my studio.

Here I go again,

I looked into humidity levels for the dry months of winter, especially up here in the mountains where it is cold throughout the winter and in home humidity drops to 20%. - Certainly lends to static electricity. I learned that the average humidity among electronics is 50% to 80%. I think 40% to 45% is sufficient.

More on the dust is that most good computer manufactures protect circuit boards with some type of protective coating against dust. However, this does not address my main concern which is the optical drive. Principally, the optical drive of my 15 disc duplicator. The best best is to e-mail Vinpower and find out.

Best of luck to you all and thanks for interacting with me. I’m going to enjoy this forum experience. :stuck_out_tongue: