64 BG RAM, Win 7 & Pagefile size

Well, if I do this (leave settings as is), the pagefile is 20 gigs, which I think is excessive.

there is 2 ways to do this RIGHT
let windows manage or set it manually to 65536 (the amount of ram you have)
anything else is WRONG.

did you do the disable hibernate? that would have cleared a huge amount of space? (this is just ssds) although you can do it for standard drives.

Then they must be wrong at Microsoft.

does MS build systems for audio?
thats what i thought…

HAHAHAH lmao its for server 2008 let me know when you find it for win7

I plan on adding more drives of course. But for now, I only fired up the new system and installed the OS. When I ran into this problem, I wanted to tackle it first, before moving on to installing any other hardware, software, etc. I appreciate all the input. I also saw the the Microsoft recommendations when researching but I also thought to myself, “Server 2008? WTF?” It’s 2013!

JCschild: When you say to set it to 65536, do you mean set both the minimum AND max to this number? Thanks.

JCschild: When you say to set it to 65536, do you mean set both the minimum AND max to this number? Thanks.

yes.
honestly just let windows manage. this is what we do for audio for video we set min/max to the actual amount.
used to do this for audio as well but not needed anymore

again did you do the disable hibernate? guessing not as you have posted a big thank you by now…

and yes 3 drives are need if doing any samples however nothing that comes with C7 is what i consider samples.

Thanks. No, haven’t done it yet as the computer is at a friend’s house. Thought I’d let him play with it as he’s a 3D animator and he was thinking of upgrading as well. I’ll post back for sure.

Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 are both build on Windows NT 6.1.

well ive just tried your turn off the hibernate and it’s just increased the size of the windows files from 73gig to 81gig and now im running a 128gig ssd in the red ,now how do you turn the hiberate on , if i try it in the cmd it comes up with an error file saying disk not large enough , every thing was fine before and the page file was on a separate partition but now … im running in the red , could you tell me how to over come this please as your advise for decreasing the page file size increased the size of the os .

sorry ive jumped in on this and i should of left the drive well alone as now im running red :imp:

you help would be appreciated now

NO no comment on this ? uummmm well for anyone that has a 128 ssd drive for your OS make sure you have a backup or clone of your drive before you try this as i could potentially be a major PITA as ive just found out and a system restore will not cure the problem

There is no way I would ever let Windows decide the size of my pagefile, that’s far too generic! If MS really new best how to configure this they would not have provided an option to change it. Set it to 1GB and that will be more than enough, in fact Windows will hardly be using it with the amount of Ram you have installed.

you have not turned it off correctly or something… i do this daily its one of the last “tweaks” we do and i watch the size shrink. do you have UAC off?

for yrs i wold have agreed with you and we did manually set it
for audio there is absolutely no reason to NOT let windows 7 manage it choses the right max to begin with…

of course what do i know…

if it aint broke…

however 32-bit OS the recommendation was 1.5 X RAM min and max

yes im running as admin , i just thought id try your advise as my drive had rather a large windows 7 install . Your right if “it aint broke” . i did follow your instructions to the letter in cmd type :powercfg.exe /hibernate off and click enter .Ive sorted it out now ,put the drive back to the original state but lowered the pagefile as for my 16 gig of ram it was a 16gig page file .

anyway all sorted now :wink: believe me i wouldn’t of tried something like that if i didn’t have a clone :smiley:

cheers
john

why not ive got to get them somehow , lifes for experimenting ,hence i didn’t mind mucking up a perfectly good daw to try something new :wink:

OK, got my computer back. I see a 50 gig hiberfil.sys file and a 66 gig pagefile.sys even after turning off hibernation and rebooting.

1. Can I delete these files?

2. What is a hiberfil.sys file?

I feel that 66 gigs for a pageile is too large. I will not have room to install all my other software.

UPDATE: When I disabled Hibernation in Windows power management, it did not turn it off and the hiberfil.sys was still there. Once I did it through the command prompt (run as admin) it disabled it and deleted the hiberfil.sys file.

The pagefile is still there but at least I have more free space ( 88 gigs free out of 167)

It seems no mater what I change the virual memory min/max to, it stays the same (around 66 gigs). Even when I disable it, the file is still there and I am not able to delete it.

Sunshy

See if this will work. I haven’t tried it yet as I am at work but found it googling around. According to what I am reading the file should delete on its own if hibernation is turned off correctly. Open a command prompt as administrator (runs as…) and type: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Let us know!