Cubasis 1.2 available!

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby Svenne » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:54 am

"Easy on the negativity". Well, take it easy on the fanatism.

Cubasis has the potential to become a very valuable tool or remain an (expensive) toy. Without support for 24-bit or 32-bit FP audio, it is unfortunately firmly anchored in the toy department. This is not negativism, it is realism.

The 16-bit audio is simply of too poor quality to be used in a professional project. It's like going back to using cassettes for demos. I'm sure that there isn't an engineer around that haven't agonized over demo-performances that couldn't be used because of poor technical quality and that couldn't be reproduced.

Cubasis would be an excellent alternative to a powerbook running Cubase LE. But with only support for 16-bit audio, it is unfortunately useless for this purpose.
Cubase 7.5.30 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Cubasis 1.8.2, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 (Mavericks), MR 816x, iPad Air (128GB)
Svenne
Member
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby Prime Aspect » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:49 pm

I would argue that without support for meter and tempo track, it is even more firmly in the "toy" department than without 24+ bit audio support. As it stands now, I can sketch out some compositional ideas, but everything becomes a throwaway once I get home and can work on a real Cubase. Cubase's heart is as a sequencing tool, not as an audio multitracking tool, and right now we've got a heart with only two chambers out of four.
(how's that for stretching the metaphor?)

I bought Cubasis even though I don't own an iPad (have one for work) --my top two priorities future updates would be:
Windows RT version
Meter & tempo track
Prime Aspect
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:25 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby crohde » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 am

Hello guys,

Thank you for your honest feedback. :)
We are musicians too and use our products intensively at work and at home. Of course there was a ton of feature that we would have wanted to include from the first release. But if we would have tried implementing everything for v.1.0 Cubasis wouldn't be in your hands for at least one or two years.
Best regards,

Carlos Mendoza Rohde - Product Marketing Manager Cubase & Apps
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook
User avatar
crohde
Moderator
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:03 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby Akamarko » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Even if 24bit is introduced into Cubasis, the end user should have a choice between bit rate. we already have a few forum discussions from Cubasis users who are trying to conserve disk space on their iPads. Desktop HD's are easily changed out to affordable sizes in the terabytes where we are stuck with the limitations on the ipad.

Although 24 bit is disirable for pro audio recording, 16 bit is not a deal breaker or a toy. Thousands of successful commercial projects have been recorded on 16 bit equipment. Besides, quality content recorded on 16 bit technology will always triumph over poor quality content recorded on 24 bit equipment.

Still, I agree that 24 bit would be a welcome addition but even if all DAWS on the iPad were 24 bit, there are still thousands of professional and amateur recordist out there that consider the ipad a toy, period! The debate is endless. Lol :D
iPad 2, iPhone 5, Mac Mini
iRig Keys, iRig Mic, iRig guitar, You Rock Guitar (midi guitar) Mobile In Guitar, GarageBand, Alchemy, Sunrizer, Cubasis, Music Studio, Amplitube, Mobile POD, MultiTrack, bs-16i, SampleTank, AudioBus, AmpKit, JamUp XT, G2M
Epiphone Les Paul Special GT
Music For iPad
Akamarko
Junior Member
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:25 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby Raphie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:21 pm

24 bits is NOT an issue IT IS a sketch toy, using the included samples/instruments, fx
or rendering other instruments via audiobus. It not a full flegded DAW, neither does it need to be.
http://www.analoguemastering.com
Now supporting VST Connect Pro!
User avatar
Raphie
Member
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby Crabman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Svenne wrote:
I suggest that you take a look at your priorities, and move this to the top of the list (heartsurgery or not). Does anyone record in 16-bit anymore? I haven't done so for over a decade!

It's a great pity that an excellent product like Cubasis is rendered useless by this flaw. This is a showstopper for me, and I won't touch it until you solve this major flaw. I can assure you that you are loosing a lot of sales, while your customers are sitting around, waiting (and getting annoyed)!


boink

http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/a ... index.html

yeah,really useless to work in 16Bit...
iPad Mini Retina - iOS 7.1.2 - Cubasis 1.8.2
Crabman
Junior Member
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:54 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby Svenne » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 am

Raphie wrote:24 bits is NOT an issue IT IS a sketch toy, using the included samples/instruments, fx
or rendering other instruments via audiobus. It not a full flegded DAW, neither does it need to be.

It's not a question about it being a full fledged DAW. It's a question about if the (sketch) recordings are of sufficient technical quality to be used as the basis of further recording. 16-bit IS NOT!

Crabman, we're talking about recording here, not mixing. Even with digital, there is a slight deterioration of the source material every time you do something to it (mixing, adding FX, adding EQ, etc), except perhaps is you work in 32-bit FP which, I believe, is Cubase's internal bit-depth. That is why nobody, but ignorant amateurs, records in 16-bit any more. If you record in 16-bit, you can expect your final result to be equivalent to 14 or even 12 bit.

24-bit or 32-bit FP is necessary if the recordings made in Cubasis are to be used in a professional Cubase project!

Mixing to 16-bit is fine (mixing to 14 or 12-bit is not) since that is the bit-depth of most consumer formats (there are of cause others).
Cubase 7.5.30 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Cubasis 1.8.2, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 (Mavericks), MR 816x, iPad Air (128GB)
Svenne
Member
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby atlatnesiti » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Hey Svenne, can you put the sock in it please. Everyone here is really tired of your constant ranting about 24 bit crap.
Real musicians don't care and can produce meaningful music with bunch of kitchen utensils and four track tape recorder. Looks to me like all you do is analyse and dissect instead of create. Have you even created anything worthy yet? There are more important things in music production than your beloved 24 bit sample rate.
iMac i7 2.8GHz 16GB RAM, OS X.10.10, iPad Air 2 128GB LTE, iPad Air 128GB LTE, iOS 8.1, Quartet, M-Audio Axiom PRO 49, Cubase 7.5, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live Suite 9, Reason 8, Tracktion 5, WaveLab Elements 8, various iOS Apps, VSTi's, AU's and hardware synths...
User avatar
atlatnesiti
Junior Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby fusionsynth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:11 pm

atlatnesiti wrote:Hey Svenne, can you put the sock in it please. Everyone here is really tired of your constant ranting about 24 bit crap.
Real musicians don't care and can produce meaningful music with bunch of kitchen utensils and four track tape recorder. Looks to me like all you do is analyse and dissect instead of create. Have you even created anything worthy yet? There are more important things in music production than your beloved 24 bit sample rate.



a very big +1!
fusionsynth
New Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby Raphie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Really?!? if you use one of the suplied instruments or samples youré already working with 16 bit content
you would import a mixdown in cubase, but a project, whixh you can them mixdown in Cubase in 24bit or 32bit float.

It is being ignorant pushing for 24bit for this app and the workflow it supports, it's a nice to have, not a dealbreaker
it's a TOY a taster of cubase and some sampled down HalionSonic content
if you want to be taken seriously, start complaining about the single or 2 slider FX tools not offering enough flexibillity, but 24bit summing come freaking on.

Svenne wrote:
Raphie wrote:24 bits is NOT an issue IT IS a sketch toy, using the included samples/instruments, fx
or rendering other instruments via audiobus. It not a full flegded DAW, neither does it need to be.

It's not a question about it being a full fledged DAW. It's a question about if the (sketch) recordings are of sufficient technical quality to be used as the basis of further recording. 16-bit IS NOT!

Crabman, we're talking about recording here, not mixing. Even with digital, there is a slight deterioration of the source material every time you do something to it (mixing, adding FX, adding EQ, etc), except perhaps is you work in 32-bit FP which, I believe, is Cubase's internal bit-depth. That is why nobody, but ignorant amateurs, records in 16-bit any more. If you record in 16-bit, you can expect your final result to be equivalent to 14 or even 12 bit.

24-bit or 32-bit FP is necessary if the recordings made in Cubasis are to be used in a professional Cubase project!

Mixing to 16-bit is fine (mixing to 14 or 12-bit is not) since that is the bit-depth of most consumer formats (there are of cause others).
http://www.analoguemastering.com
Now supporting VST Connect Pro!
User avatar
Raphie
Member
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Cubasis 1.2 available!

Postby metallo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Prime Aspect wrote:I would argue that without support for meter and tempo track, it is even more firmly in the "toy" department than without 24+ bit audio support. As it stands now, I can sketch out some compositional ideas, but everything becomes a throwaway once I get home and can work on a real Cubase. Cubase's heart is as a sequencing tool, not as an audio multitracking tool, and right now we've got a heart with only two chambers out of four.
(how's that for stretching the metaphor?)

I bought Cubasis even though I don't own an iPad (have one for work) --my top two priorities future updates would be:
Windows RT version
Meter & tempo track



+1 for tempo track.
There are several sequencers now available for iOS and none hase this basic feature, why?
It would really do the difference now, and would bring cubasis on a "real" professional tool level.
metallo
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Previous

Return to Cubasis

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests