Mixconsole: How Zones should look

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Mixconsole: How Zones should look

Postby jpgtr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Zone channels are hard to pick out visually, unless you are scrolling horizontally. And if you have more than a couple channels assigned to zones, they tend to crowd out the other non-zoned channels. What we really need is a return of the draggable "separator bar" so we can position zoned channels and scroll through zones independently of the other channels. This would also let us set up our "zones" so they are more easily identified in the heat of battle.

Screenshot attached.

C7_zones_mix.jpg
(133.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet

JP
2012 Mac Pro 10.8.4, 24 GB RAM, Cubase 7.0.6 (and 6.0.7), UAD-2 Duo
jpgtr

Re: Mixconsole: How Zones should look

Postby marQs » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:17 pm

+1, absolutely!
...C7 | WL7 | FF800 | UAD2 Quad/Duo | Win7 64...
marQs

Postby jpgtr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 pm

From the 7.0.3 announcement:

• Channels locked to the left or right zone are now separated with a small gap between the un-locked channels.

Big thumbs up!

:D
jpgtr

Postby Nic Toms » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:29 pm

+1
Nic Toms

Postby Codex » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Is this your birthday??? Looks as if your wish was heard in the 7.03 update!

Cheers,
Codex
Codex

Postby jpgtr » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Codex wrote:Is this your birthday??? Looks as if your wish was heard in the 7.03 update!

Just updated. While there is now a (welcomed) space added between regular and zoned channels, you still can't adjust where the spacer is and scroll the zoned channels. An adjustable spacer is important because zoned channels will start piling up horizontally and stealing all the mixer screen. IMO, it's a big step back from v6, where you can split the mixer and set the channel view however you want.

As it stands right now, the new zoning feature is of very limited use compared to the adjustable split mixer view from v6.
jpgtr

Postby r.u.sirius » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:13 pm

jpgtr wrote:
As it stands right now, the new zoning feature is of very limited use compared to the adjustable split mixer view from v6.

just another example of lost functionality....what were they thinking when desining this so called mix console? :roll:
C6.5/7.5 32bit | WL8 | FF800 | 2x UAD2 Quad | Win7 64 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i7-2600K | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U
r.u.sirius

Postby chase » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 am

r.u.sirius wrote:what were they thinking when desining this so called mix console? :roll:

"Aah, pretty. So pretty. Pretty console. Pretty, pretty, pretty. Such a pretty console. Pretty. Pretty console. Pretty."
chase

Postby TwinOak » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Bumping this one, I do like many of the new features of the MixConsole but the draggable zone divider with scrolling in each zone is THE one feature I miss the most from the past. The only, or at least the only BIG flaw of the earlier layout was that the divider was reset to its default position after closing and reopening the mixer.

Some suggestions:
-In the zone control field, add buttons at the top for each zone to control either scrolling display with a draggable divider (that remembers its position) or a fixed greedy zone. I do for instance like to have my output tracks always visible to the right.

-In the visibility control field, add the zones. Say for instance that when tracking I place my most used input channels, a listenback channel, and an instrument track used for click in the leftmost zone. When I want to do some mixing in between recording sessions I'd like to hide this zone away, and later open the same zone again for further recording. Cannot do this at the moment. Sure, I can link these tracks and untick each linked parameter. This enables me to select one track and all of them become selected in the visibility panel, and I am able to uncheck them. But the inverse, selecting an invisible track from a linked group in the visibility panel does not make the other linked tracks selected.

-Also, why, WHY hide away the track type buttons in a dropdown menu? The big thing about the MixConsole is scalability, having buttons displayed when there's room for them and making them collapse into a menu would be so slick. FEWER CLICKS WANTED!
(and don't try the old key commands-trick, there are a finite number of keys on my keyboard and I already have to plan quite a bit before assigning even one new command)

/A
ASUS Z8NA-D6, 2 x Xeon 5620, Kingston 16GB, RME Fireface 800, Win 7 x64, Cubase 5.5.2, Cubase 6.0.5
TwinOak

Postby TheNavigator » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:16 pm

We need assignable, user defined zones with color marking anyway.

Oh, that would help a lot. This would be amazing.

Consider this:

Zone 1: Drums
Zone 2: Bass
Zone 3: Rhytmn Guitars
Zone 4: Keys
Zone 5: Lead Guitars
Zone 6: Backing Vocals
Zone 7: Lead Vocals
Zone 8: Parallel processing
Zone 9: FX channels

How tasty! :-)

Maybe in combination with folders?
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Postby sonic74 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:17 pm

TwinOak wrote:Bumping this one, I do like many of the new features of the MixConsole but the draggable zone divider with scrolling in each zone is THE one feature I miss the most from the past. The only, or at least the only BIG flaw of the earlier layout was that the divider was reset to its default position after closing and reopening the mixer.

Some suggestions:
-In the zone control field, add buttons at the top for each zone to control either scrolling display with a draggable divider (that remembers its position) or a fixed greedy zone. I do for instance like to have my output tracks always visible to the right.

-In the visibility control field, add the zones. Say for instance that when tracking I place my most used input channels, a listenback channel, and an instrument track used for click in the leftmost zone. When I want to do some mixing in between recording sessions I'd like to hide this zone away, and later open the same zone again for further recording. Cannot do this at the moment. Sure, I can link these tracks and untick each linked parameter. This enables me to select one track and all of them become selected in the visibility panel, and I am able to uncheck them. But the inverse, selecting an invisible track from a linked group in the visibility panel does not make the other linked tracks selected.

-Also, why, WHY hide away the track type buttons in a dropdown menu? The big thing about the MixConsole is scalability, having buttons displayed when there's room for them and making them collapse into a menu would be so slick. FEWER CLICKS WANTED!
(and don't try the old key commands-trick, there are a finite number of keys on my keyboard and I already have to plan quite a bit before assigning even one new command)

/A

+1

+1
sonic74

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions