HALion 4 wish list

do you have an example I can hear of what this effect is?

Sure, I attached a simple example with a grain delay on a C3 piano note (50/50 mix).
grain_delay_on_piano_c3.mp3 (279 KB)

oh wow, that is awesome! I love the swirly, moving texture created with that effect, that would be fantastic on pads, or just about anything really to add a little (or a lot) of character and movement!

+1 for sure!

Looking at Yamaha’s medium term management plan, my bet is: Halion 4.5 is dead!

Sure, as HALion 5 is coming… :laughing:

Btw, HALion 4.5 is far from dead, it is a totally different league compared to their old development attitude resulted in dead products like HALion 1-3.x…

The only things that are different: They don’'t wait 9 years to release another product to leave unfinished and dead. And they’ll keep the customer calm by making empty statements.
Lucky for Yamaberg users think that’s a good attitude. Probably the same users buying a crappy product because they like the person in the commercial.

mate, you sound utterly jaded! Since you have no problem showing off this demeanor, I think it is fair to ask… why? Are you having an issue with Halion that you would like to see resolved? Perhaps we can turn that frown upside down and you have to the happy camp like many other Halion users? It really is a wonderful piece of software and it is certainly not dead. There is only the road ahead for Halion and I am sure it will be a pleasant one to stay upon. I know I am looking most forward to the next Halion release, cause if it offers me anything like Halion 4 did, it will quite valuable to me and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I admit, there are many things I would like to see enhanced, or added to Halion, but I won’t give up on it entirely due to these limitations, I can only hope for them to be included in the future, yet continue to use what it does have to offer me in the meantime, which is quite a bit actually.

Apparently I’m the minority on the Steinberg forum that doesn’t like it if a department of a billion dollar company just doesn’t deliver finished products and abandons unfinished products after some maintenance updates to up-sell to a newer product to start all over again.

I find it remarkable the users here don’t see that Steinberg employees only participate with new product releases by giving the intention customer relations are important to the company. If a Steinberg representative starts participating in 6+ months product threat, you know there’s a new product coming up and they’ll soon drop the existing unfinished product like a brick (of course after one update to gain customer trust).

If you’re happy to treated that way as a customer, be my guest!

Different sample rates mixed in some patches
Start & end point of loop can be set to 2147483648.00 (forever) instead of sample boundries.
Can’t modulate FX parameters directly from the Modulation Matrix
Not all content editable
Can’t bypass amp envelope release length
Can’t adjust envelope release level >0%
No ping-pong loop
No Slice editor
No MIDI output
No Pan in mapping editor
No Macro page editor
Not possible to replace several samples at once

Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions. I will admit, many of your ‘requested features’ are things that I too miss and wish were in Halion, so you have my support there. I have always wanted ping pong loops, slice editor, a dedicated macro page etc, however, not every bit of software has every feature included right off the bat, not Steinberg products and not products from any other developer either. Kontakt certainly isn’t at the stage it is now over night. I guess I still have hope that Steinberg are in the game to continue to update Halion to be the best it can be. I assure you, they have not abandoned Halion in any way, we will just have to wait until Halion 5 comes out, as Halion 4 has had its run already. I personally find value in the money I spent in Halion 4 and I don’t regret the time, or money spent on it whatsoever. Hopefully the same will happen when Halion 5 is released too and we can all find it was worth the wait and it will offer things the end user will enjoy parting with their time and money, in order to use.

Can’t modulate FX parameters directly from the Modulation Matrix

This.

+1,000,000,000

!!!

In the multiple sample import dialog, under Root Key, the option to just be the same as the key it’s on. Basically the option to turn off Pitching by default.

Halion 5

:smiley: :laughing: :smiley:

SFZ import support

+1

Steinberg’s HALion product planners may look all these cool videos of the upcoming Vengeance Phalanx sampler:

Looping features, loop can be modulated!, special scratch mode: Vengeance Producer Suite - Phalanx Tutorial Video: 05 Loop Page - YouTube
Browsing with instant preview: Vengeance Producer Suite - Phalanx Tutorial Video: 01 Library - YouTube

These features were all requested for the next major HALion update at the start of this thread.

There are more vids, worth to check for great ideas and implementation.

I don’t know if this was stated before, but where I think HALion fails is in the GUI design. Everything is cryptic and complex.

Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard this! I find the GUI very intuitive and easy to navigate. Once you know what you are doing, you can zip around that no problem, as everything is logically laid out, not to mention, it is fully customizable to ones personal workflow. Perhaps you should try and tailor the GUI to your personal needs? It is very flexible.

;i guess this thread should be rename H5.5 wish-list?

Features for Slices mode:

• auto-set loop mode (sets each slice to loop until release after slicing)

Loop mode - forward + reverse

There are some crytpic names indeed, but just a few, eg. Key on Del

The solution: hover the mouse for a short period over the button and instant on-line help will show up,
e.g. cryptic name: “Key on Del” > full function name: “Key On Delay Time”

It would be nice if the tooltips (floating help) included a short additional description and not only the full name of the parameter. This would also be nice to have in the options of Cubase, by the way :slight_smile: