How do I 'recall' sounds from an external module?

Yes, you can go in and name your presets and when you choose one in the MIDI Track Inspector it will show the name there. The MIDI Device editor is a bit quirky at times.

About the # alignment, this is common on various devices. Some start at 0 (which is very “MIDI”) but others start at 1 (which is more human) and throws things off.

You can also just use “Define New…” when clicking Install device, this is “from scratch”.

I haven’t created devices in a long time, since I haven’t bought any equipment that I need to change programs for. I have used a Roland V-Synth for a few of years, that is brilliant for manipulating samples. But I don’t really use the Programs on it other than recording and saving them on flash memory (in case I need to do it over).

In contrast, I have a KORG Z1 that I have used for many years and there are some sounds on it that I use when composing and so it’s very convenient to select a sound (by name) from a list instead of trying to remember the number, even though by now I do know the numbers. :smiley: I only use these sounds until I have a basic song arrangement and I then create actual sounds on whatever engine that match what I really was aiming for.

The reason I do this is because some sounds seem to make it easier (for me) to build the song structure, without being sound biased. I mean I love cool sounds but they tend to distract from the task at hand. :slight_smile: So when I have the basic schematic for the song, THEN I can have fun with whatever sounds I think will work.