Remote control setups M-AUDIO KeyRig 25

Would anyone be aware of an xml remote control control setup for a M-Audio KeyRig 25? :nerd:

Cubase comes with some pre-installed for other keyboards.

Anyone using a Keyrig 25?

Hi galvinstephen,

I don’t have the M-AUDIO KeyRig 25, but I do own an M-Audio MK461c (which is pretty old) and an M-Audio Oxygen 61 (which is slightly newer), so I should be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction! From my experience legacy M-Audio support appears to be a little flaky (i.e. with technologies such as ‘DirectLink’ drivers being essentially abandoned by them when they introduce a new controller keyboard etc) but it appears to be a similar case with keyboard mappings too.

However (as you mention you’ve discovered), there are mappings available both in Cubase and also online in the M-Audio archive - though it can be tricky to find the right one and they are typically aimed at arcane versions of cubase (SX/C4/C5 et al) which is rather disconcerting to say the least but its worth a try if you can find the right-one/something similar; because I have managed to succeed in doctoring an old file to work in C7, but most of what it did I didn’t like anyway so I abandoned everything except the basics!

IMO however the easiest way to go is to just make your own mappings - then you can set things up the way you like and learn something useful too (DirectLink - bah humbug)! The only thing is that I’m really unsure about your keyboard having no experience of it but hopefully it should be as simple as setting up a basic (quick controls/transport) Generic Remote for it as explained below:

I realise the files I have posted in the aforementioned thread are for a different keyboard, however follow the steps mentioned and then we can see if they can be teased into working for your M-AUDIO KeyRig 25. After you have followed the steps in the other thread do the following:

Cubase 7 Menu ->> Devices ->> Device Setup ->> Select Quick Controls ->>Select Learn

1. Make sure that M-AUDIO KeyRig 25 MIDI in/out is selected in the MIDI Input/Output dialogue boxes.

2. Now go through the procedure of clicking on each quick control entry and wigging the relevant pot (i.e. 1~8) on your MIDI keyboard in order to update each quick control MIDI assignment to your specific device. NOTE* As soon as you move a pot you will see the number in the address section change illustrating that its been updated successfully.

3. Now hopefully all of your 8 x Quick Controls should be mapped to the 8 x pots on your M-AUDIO KeyRig 25.

4. De-select LEARN then click on ‘Apply’.

(please refer to ‘QC_C7.jpg’ attachment below)

Just try the above first, I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work as its just a generic MIDI controller essentially, but if that succeeds, we can see about setting up the buttons to act as transport controls also! The only issue is that you don’t have generic transport controls on your device per se (i.e. just nondescript buttons from what I can see online - refer to link below) but you could always stick little transport pictures under them if your feeling artistic (<< rewind, fast forward >> etc) - depends if your bothered about said functionality!

The good thing is that the 8 assignable buttons available perfectly map on to the C7 transport controls (refer to M-Audio_KeyRig25.jpg) and IMO the Transport & Quick Controls are the most useful things you could assign (i.e. its the only ones I bother with at least)! Anyway, if the advice above works the technique for assigning/updating transport buttons is exactly the same; but using the Generic Remote dialogue instead - just let us know if you get stuck.

Hope this helps,

Kat :slight_smile:

So did you get this working then :question: (…cue tumble weed…sound of distant crow… etc)

Hey. Yes thank you for that. I have set up the Key rig with the main slider controlling master volume, and the eight rotary knobs controlling audio faders 1-8, then switch to bank 2 - controlling 9-16 etc. It works fine, especially that master volume - when playing guitar or bass you want to be able to quickly use one hand to tweak levels. :smiley:
Thanks again.