UR 22 Phantom Power Noise

I recently purchased an UR 22 and I am experiencing a continuous and pulsating low hum when the onboard 48v phantom switch is engaged. The hum is very low and sounds like a test tone at about 30-50 hertz. The XLR cord and mic has been tested on an analog mixer with no problems. Is there perhaps a setting that I’m missing?

Thanks

When plugging the mic in directly do you still have the mixer connected or anything else?
Try reversing the power adapter in the AC socket and let us know if it helps. What happens if you plug it into other sockets (in different rooms (hopefully on different electrical circuits)) - just to try.

We’er having the same problem with our UR 22. The UR 22 plugs directly into computer through usb.

Exactly the same problem here. I have tried everything and it still won’t go away when phantom power is engaged.

I’ve tested all of my leads with a cable tester, they are all fine. I’ve tested all of my condenser mics too. The mics are all fine. It isn’t there with dynamic mics, only with condensers and when phantom power is enabled.

I have also tried putting a ferrite core on the provided USB lead to shield any unwanted EMI (electromagnetic interference) from the laptop. Didn’t help.

The only thing that I haven’t tried is a different USB lead, which I will try now, and report back.

It sounds like a ground loop hum, but it can’t be, as it happens regardless of whether the laptop is plugged into the mains or not, and all of my monitoring is being done through headphones on the unit. There is no external speaker system connected. Just the UR22 and the laptop.

I am left wondering if either the unit itself is faulty, or it is very susceptible to EMI from laptops, which kind of renders the unit pointless.

It’s been a very frustrating couple of days for me testing all of my other connected hardware.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Exactly the same problem here. I have tried everything and it still won’t go away when phantom power is engaged.

I’ve tested all of my leads with a cable tester, they are all fine. I’ve tested all of my condenser mics too. The mics are all fine. It isn’t there with dynamic mics, only with condensers and when phantom power is enabled.

I have also tried putting a ferrite core on the provided USB lead to shield any unwanted EMI (electromagnetic interference) from the laptop. Didn’t help.

The only thing that I haven’t tried is a different USB lead, which I will try now, and report back.

It sounds like a ground loop hum, but it can’t be, as it happens regardless of whether the laptop is plugged into the mains or not, and all of my monitoring is being done through headphones on the unit. There is no external speaker system connected. Just the UR22 and the laptop.

I am left wondering if either the unit itself is faulty, or it is very susceptible to EMI from laptops, which kind of renders the unit pointless.

It’s been a very frustrating couple of days for me testing all of my other connected hardware.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

All the help I can offer is that I also tried several USB cables to no avail…

I have now also tried another USB cable, and also tried grounding the device using the screw at the back. It made absolutely no difference.

Is it safe to assume that the unit is faulty and I should get an RMA for it? It’s basically useless to me as it is.

I have now also tried another USB cable, and also tried grounding the device using the screw at the back. It made absolutely no difference.

Is it safe to assume that the unit is faulty and I should get an RMA for it? It’s basically useless to me as it is.

If your UR 22 is within the retailer’s return period, then send it back to them for an exchange or refund. If you bought it from a retail store that you could visit, then take it back to the Pro Audio department and see if you can replicate the problem for them there. If it is not within the retailer’s return period, then contact Steinberg customer service and see i f they can trouble shoot the device—from there they’ll be able to issue a RMA number if found faulty.

Just out of interest, are there UR22 users here that aren’t having this hum problem?

Just out of interest, are there UR22 users here that aren’t having this hum problem?

Hi, I don’t have such a hum problem.
I’m using with RODE NT2-A and it sounds clear. :wink:

Might it be depending on which mic you use?

Hi, R. Wings. Rodes are nice microphones. But a low hum in audio equipment is usually caused by an improperly-grounded electrical component. For example, a Neumann U87 with poor grounding will hum.

Thanks for your post.

Hi,

Both audio samplers shows the same issue, I don’t think is cable hum or any cable interference, seems like a issue in the circuit. Something goes wrong when Phantom Power is activated.

If you disconnect the cable from the UR22 leaving the Phantom Power active, the noise remains?

Have you tried with a dynamic mic or line/instrument plugged with Phantom power activated, just to test?

To the ones who have the same issue: Where did you bought your units?

I’m almost giving up to purchase one… Maybe is a batch issue… Will give me hard work to exchange (international shipping)…

I have tried 7 different condenser mics with it from large diaphragm cardioid, to multi-polar pattern, to pencil condenser. Each with leads that have been tested in a cable tester. The hum is there with all of them, regardless of whether the unit is grounded.

To conclude. I have literally just tested it, and the pencil condensers have the hum when powered by the units phantom power, but don’t have it at all when phantom powered by a single AA battery. Completely silent.
So anyone that had this unit and it is exhibiting this horrible hum. My conclsuion after days of testing all of my gear is that it is definitely a defective UR22.

Side note: all of my gear works fine with my UR824. No hum anywhere.

I have tried 7 different condenser mics with it from large diaphragm cardioid, to multi-polar pattern, to pencil condenser. Each with leads that have been tested in a cable tester. The hum is there with all of them, regardless of whether the unit is grounded.

To conclude. I have literally just tested it, and the pencil condensers have the hum when powered by the units phantom power, but don’t have it at all when phantom powered by a single AA battery. Completely silent.

So anyone that has this unit and it is exhibiting this horrible hum. My conclusion after days of testing all of my gear is that it is definitely a defective UR22.

Side note: all of my gear works fine with my UR824. No hum anywhere.

Sounds frustrating. Since you have isolated the problem to the UR 22, I would move forward with contacting Steinburg about warranty coverage.

It hasn’t been much fun, no… :laughing:

I have filed a RMA with the retailer I ordered it from. I’m going to ask them whether returns have been an major issue or not with them, and from there I’ll decide whether to either get a replacement unit, or a refund and wait a while.

Oh wow, I had it all wrong.
For some reason I had it in my head that the UR22 was powered with an adapter!
I’m running the UR28M, maybe that’s why I assumed this, sorry.
I understand though, the unit must be attached directly to the computers USB port, being Bus powered, the loading effect of other devices could be significant.
Do you have any other peripherals attached via USB?

• Any effect by removing them if possible?

• Any effect by connecting the other USB peripherie via a powered hub?

Any improvement when running the laptop powered from mains?
If you deinstall the driver, then reinstall, connecting the UR22 to a different physical USB port socket, does this alleviate the problem?
I all fails you might report the actual USB subsystem chipset manufacturer.

One of the conveniences of the UR 22 that I noticed is that there is no power supply. I’ve been used to having to plug most electronics in via the wall wart.

The noise is generated at various USB ports from my lap top. I’ve been running the UR 22 with no other devices connected. It is, however, interesting that you mentioned running my computer with main power. I’ve been running it with battery power. I’ll attempt with wall adapter. Thanks.

Where I’m at in trouble shooting the phantom power noise is my microphone. I’m in the process of purchasing a new condenser. From there I’ll determine if the noise was being generated by a defective condenser microphone.