Mini The Moog

Hi folks,

Does anyone on here own an original Minimoog synth ?? Or at least have played on one ??

i alway see them going for stupid amounts on ebay like £4,500 but i still consider purchasing one if i can find one at the right price.

Ta,

Paul

Aloha P,
I don’t own one now but did back-in-the-day.

I loved its sounds and there were only two things
about it on the downside.

1-No memory re-call. Once you got a sound you could not
lock it in/save it.
So everytime you used custom patches,
the sound was never quite the same nite to night. Gig to gig.
Recording to recording.

2-Tuning would drift. This was a big one.
Seemed to drift with temp changes.

Other than those two points, I loved it.

It was kinda like a sax or rock guitar:
Never quite in tune and never quite the same exact sound.
Maybe that’s one of the reasons we loved it. :slight_smile:

Great instrument for synth bass.

HTH (hope this helps)
{‘-’}

Those two factors are fine with me actually. i would be using it with a Fender Rhodes and Hohner Clavinet and so in the context of a ‘non-memory’ keyboard setting.

Chick Corea gets awesome Bass sounds out of it with his 1970’s Return To Forever band.

i was kind of wondering how RELIABLE (as an ex-owner yourself) you might say the Mini would be today ?? i mean, if i bought one on ebay which was being sold as serviced and fully functional, then how likely is it that it might malfunction in the near future ??

THANKS a lot,

Paul

Sounds great!
Add in a Hammond B3 and Solina String Machine and that was THE keyboard set-up of the 70’s. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

if i bought one on ebay which was being sold as serviced and fully functional, then how likely is it that it might malfunction in the near future ??

Hard to say after sooo many years.
I cannot recall ever having had to service it.

Good luck!
{‘-’}

Thats good to know.

i suppose it obviously and ultimately depends on how well looked after the synth has been. Some owners state it has never been gigged or at least never taken out of the studio.

You never know, if your MiniMoog will last for decades or if it breaks down the next day. But the good news is: any electronics engineer/technician with a soldering iron and an oscilloscope can fix almost any problem it might create.

About my history with MiniMoog: I wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t been able to test drive one in early '80s (the setup also had an Apple II/Alpha Syntauri system). This experience eventually drove me to study audio engineering, electronics and computer science.

i have been spending a couple of hours every day reading about SYNTHESIS. Lots of people i have messaged on You Tube mostly say that they ‘tweak’ the Minimoog by ‘ear’ (ie. using their ear as a guide to lead them to the sound they are trying to create etc). But i have read a few interviews with world class players/programers who really do understand the world of Synthesis and Physics. i think back in the 1970’s and early 1980’s there were two general catagories which people fell into :-

1 - TECHNICIANS

2 - MUSICIANS

i struggle greatly with the MATHS and PHYSICS in relation to music (they do not come naturally, i have no real interest, and i was terrible with these subjects at school). But now (age 44 !!) i can totally see how they are a vital part of the subject !!

Of course the tweaking of analog (or any other) synthesizer (or any other audio related thing) must be done by ear, but understanding the physics behind speeds up you in your quest for ‘the sound’.

And then there were people who were both, like Roger Powell. But you could also be a techician, who perfectly understand the music, like Bob Moog.

I’ve always found the science (math/physics) relation to music quite easy. They should never be the driving force behind the music (as late Joe Meek said: ‘If it sounds right, it is right’), but they are great tools which helps you to get the things ‘right’.

Wow! I’m just as old as you (1 month short of 45). Yes, science is the vital part … but then … nothing prevents you from creating great music without knowing the s*it of the science behind. But knowing the science can help you to analyze the things behind music and give you hints how to improve your results.

Here’s a series of five fairly short video tutorials on basic synth programming from a man who knows:

People often give me odd looks when they see the oscilloscope sitting atop my old analog modular, it’s just not in their experience.
Those videos are nice. I see an ARP 2600 behind him - I would have used that in any instructional videos for analog synth, mainly because it’s patched with cords unlike the voyager which is normalized or prepatched. But then I guess if Moog is sponsoring the deal, you use Moog.

i have always thought that in a ‘live’ situation, you (the player) will have to create patches ‘on the fly’ (due the the Minimoog not having any Memory). So an understanding of Synthesis is important to enable the player to perform these instant programing actions. And that there are only two methods of operation here :-

1 - To visually memorize the settings (on the control panel) of your patches so that you can re-create these as and when required.

2 - To be able to turn the dials on the control panel without actually playing the keyboard (ie. being able to hear the sound in your head).

i would guess that all of the best players will be able to do both methods !!

Thanks TS.

As i say, to my ears, the Voyager still sounds (from what i have heard of it) zilch like a Mini Model D.

i have just been offered a Mini (with MIDI) which has been fully serviced in Europe by Rudi Linhard (who has apparently said this was one of the best models to ever pass thru his workshop).

With postage etc it will cost about £4k i would think. Its a LOT of money !!

This is on ebay at £11K !! Someone has already made an offer !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOOG-MINIMOOG-VOYAGER-GOLD-EDITION-Synthesizer-NEW-LIMITED-/130896641743?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Pro_Audio_Synthesisers_CV&hash=item1e7a0c3ecf#ht_1759wt_934

don’t have the mini but original owner of a Moog Prodigy bought back in the 70’s. love it for basses and leads.

That gold minimoog looks wicked!

Thats great man. Have you got any recordings/videos of it ??

i have the 1979 Multi Moog !! :mrgreen: Bought it on ebay 1 few years back for about £1,000. But i still really want a Mini !!

Thank you very much for all your advice guys.

i bought a original MiniMoog last week !! :mrgreen:

The seller is the ORIGINAL OWNER and bought it brand new in 1980 in London, UK. My original upper limit was £3,500 but i decided to pay a bit extra extra and go for this one because it is in astounding condition, no modifications, been serviced by an expert, does not have Midi, comes with a flightcase, has had all the woodwork treated and waxed, and will not be being shipped in from abroard. The seller was a professional musician and happend to be the keyboard player with the UK band MUD !!

So once again, i thank you all for your advice.

Best,

Paul

Wow, congrats :slight_smile:
Enjoy!

Cool! Have fun with the Mini! :sunglasses:

I would love to own one, but I’ll have to do with the Arturia Minimoog V (which is also great, btw).