Beyerdynamics releases free room simulator for headphones

Although I try hard to be open minded - I’d be inclined to agree considering its just totally and utterly killed my installation of C7 which is now playing back all VST instruments (not audio recordings) at double speed (as though I’d upped the sample rate) - what!? :astonished:

Hopefully i’ll manage to get it back to normal (I’ve deleted it by the way) but C7’s still going mad currently :cry: why god… :angry:

I have to admit though I downloaded it purely out of interest to see what it does etc, its free after all - what harm can it do (cough)! :unamused: I didn’t really know much about this VRM style technology until reading through this thread and following it up online. There is an interesting review/article by Mike Senior (Sound on Sound/Mixing Secrets) for the ‘VRM Box’ which doesn’t pull any punches:

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch2_FocusriteVRM.htm

And another more general review by Sam Inglis of Sound On Sound magazine which is more favorable/positive:

I think with technologies such as this it really is highly subjective (as mentioned in Mike Seniors article) because the algorithms/psycho acoustics are all based on generalized HRTF’s and everybody is unique and headphones differ drastically so some people might find it useful and other will just hate it (i.e. as is the case here with two people who write for sound on sound with contrasting opinions).

Man I wish I lived in America, $25 to play around with the VRM Box; in England it costs £80 ($123) sigh

I still think its cool of Beyer Dynamic to do this for free though - I guess I must have done something wrong when I installed it as no else is complaining about their copy of C7 blowing up! :laughing:

You have to realise this is only version one however, given time they might begin to add more sophisticated functionality like studio monitor modeling as with the ‘VRM Box’ (which also uses software and not hardware DSP from what I understand)!

Anyway excuse me babbling as ever kat :slight_smile: