UR 22 Phantom Power Noise

I suppose that would be a 50 Hz Euro hum and a 60 Hz Americano type. That reminds that a monitor in the vicinity
can cause problems. 60 Hz (+) 60 Hz (+) 60 Hz (x) amplified.

I wonder if a power conditioner would solve this?

I wouldn’t fixate completely on the power supply, there are different chipsets from a number of manufacturers which comprise the USB subsystem (TI (Texas Instruments) are one of the most common used), and some of these chipsets are known for causing problems with certain peripherals. This is perhaps an unknown problem hence the reason I mentioned before that you might try and find out which chipset is used in your PC/Laptop, and report this here or at least to Steinberg Service.

I think that USB peripherals problems due to some chipsets are more about data speed issues than the power. Still, I agree that it is valid to report here the computer chipset model which problem occurs.

On UR22, seems to be a problem related to insufficient power when the Phantom Power is turned on. All the rest works fine.

My 2 rode M3 microphones produce a hum working on phantom power, using a battery works fine.
My dynamic phone is operating fine.
It must be a design problem of the UR22.
What is Steinberg going to do about this problem?

Hi, rodipoet.

What is your computer? Laptop x desktop? Do you know the chipset model? Have you tried on others desktop and laptops?

Steinberg Support answered me that with the only one returned unit with this noise issue, they did tests on multiple machines and don’t have the problem… They said that in similar cases they had seen - including other brands - the cause is usually on a specific system and caused by computer’s USB power system.

I also think that must be a design problem, maybe related to insufficient power only when the Phantom Power is activated.

My desktop asus p5k with an Intel P35/ICH9 chipset.
The problem exists only in phantom power mode. :frowning:

Although people often choose to ignore this when I mention it, It can sometimes help by plugging into different USB sockets (and in this case de-reinstalling the driver. You see the various USB ports are generally controlled with different interrupts (IRQs) and depending on what these are shared with, can often be a source of noise, also some ports (often those on the front of the computer) are established with an expansion module, which runs a cable from a connector on the MB to the module - this cable can pick up induced noise.
There’s no guarantee this port switching will work, but it’s worth a try.
Unfortunately the motherboard manuals rarely go into detail these days regarding the manufacturer of the actual chips used on them (we’re not referring to the proverbial “chipset” usually referenced in the manual - this has more to do with the BIOs, and nothing to do with the USB subarchitecture. This can then only be done by visual inspection of the chips themselves on the board, they will usually be in the vicinity of the actual USB risers. Best to get someone familiar with computers on a hardware level to check this.

I tested it on all available USB ports on my laptop, but the problem remained as long as I had phantom power engaged. It is an Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset Intel | Data Center Solutions, IoT, and PC Innovation

I also tested it on my desktop machine which has a Gigabyte motherboard. Model:
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 (rev. 1.0)
Intel® Z68 Chipset

I had exactly the same issue on both systems.

As I said, my main desktop DAW uses a UR824, which does not have any problem with any of my mics and there is no grounding problem in the system.

Steinberg hasn’t replied to my support email, in which I detailed all of the things I had tested up to that point. Now I have tested even more, and I am 100% certain it is not a fault in my system(s). I can only conclude that the device is faulty (or poorly designed/wasn’t tested on a wide range of devices).

Dear all,

The Hardware design team is currently investigating this occurrence in conjunction with condenser microphones and phantom power.

Please bear with us, we‘ll update you as soon as we have relevant information.

Best regards,
Helge

All,

I have confirmed that the Phantom power noise that I’ve been experiencing was, indeed, a poor ground within my condenser microphone. A ground wire had come loose inside in the mic; I re-soldered it and tested the mic with no hum.

Thanks to all who contributed in helping me find a resolution to my problem.

Cheers,

T-bone

The hum noise you experienced before fix your mic was the same as the mp3 samples posted by others members (below)?

Have you checked if now there’s absolutely no type of low hum, even being much lower than before?

Hi,

Any updates? Found the issue?

Same problem for me with the UR22 on my computer.
When I turn on the phatom power switch, there’s a really audible low hum in my monitors even if there no microphone plugged in the UR22.
I have tried both with my laptop and desktop mac and this noise is still present on both computer.

I have the UR824 and no such problem with this unit.

Dear all,

After intense investigations our development team is absolutely confident to find a technical solution for those customers who encounter a problem.

Please bear with us a little while longer. We’re aiming to provide all the necessary information on how to proceed by mid-May.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

Stefan Schreiber
Steinberg GmbH

Hi Stefan,

I would like to purchase this audio interface for mostly voice recording using condenser microphones. However, this issue is putting things on hold and forcing me to settle for other choices. Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Tony

Dear all,

Now further information regarding a solution for the hum noise issue is available.
Please take a look at the corresponding announcement.
We hope that the solution we are providing at this stage will be to your convenience.
Thank you for bearing with us.

Best regards,
Stefan

Stefan

My UR22 serial number is YETI01273, so if I understand the announcement, my unit have to be modified.
Could you please confirm (there’s no red dot beside the serial number).

I leave in France, how can I do to send you back the unit ? DHL is only for Germany.

Please let me know.
Thank you.

Another thing about the UR22 unit.
Have you read this topic : UR22 and too hot HiZ signal - Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums
What do think of that ?

Hi loorenz,

Yes, your unit is in the serial number range that we will provide modification service for.
DHL is also providing international shipment service. Please refer to the dedicated web page for further information on the procedure. There you will find a link to the DHL pick-up service. This should work in France as well.

Best regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Sorry but I can’t find any way on the DHL website to create a pre-paid returns label from France to Germany.
I’m lost in the DHL website. Wich service may I use to create a label with your account number ?
Have you got a link for me ?

When I have to send back an item to a big online music store that is in Germany, they send me a pre-paid returns lablel in PDF, it’s more easy for me.
Send me a PM if you want, because it’s probably not the right place to post such messages about shipping.

EDIT : I have just spend an half hour to find a way to ship my UR22 with DHL the only shipping available method I have found is DHL express for 104 euros :open_mouth:
So could you please add more details and explain a little bit more how to send you back easily the unit.
Or I PM you address and you send me a PDF file of a return label.

I have bought this unit 3 weeks ago, I have a faulty unit and I just want to have a repaired unit that I can use with phantom power.
Actually if I use any condenser microphone of my gear (I have tried with 5 different mics) I have low-frequency noise (no small) in my monitoring system and in the recorded tracks.
I can’t really use this unit with phantom power, neither with my guitars… so the unit is in the box je most of the time.
I just want a simple way to get an operating unit. :neutral_face:

I as of late obtained a UR 22 and I am encountering a persistent and throbbing low murmur when the installed 48v ghost switch is locked in. The murmur is exceptionally low and seems like a test tone at around 30-50 hertz. The XLR line and mic has been tried on a simple blender without any issues. Is there maybe a setting that I’m absent?