Beyerdynamics releases free room simulator for headphones

Aloha a, and tanx for the post and link.

Before downloading this I am wondering if any Mac users
have yet tried this?

TIA
{‘-’}

I never even realized there was a video…
I downloaded the W64 bit version into my 64bit steinberg plugin folder, fired up Cubase figured the logcal place was as an insert in the master output channel, everything went without a hitch.
The presets I though were kind of odd in that there is no evident way of adjusting the patches or altering the sound so there would be nothing to save as a user preset (surely they couldn’t mean the routing); perhaps they might make other Factory püresets available later.
As to quality, effectiveness, useability, I reserve judgement for the time being - that needs time.

Hey BriHar, thanks for you post - that’s strange I wonder why my copy of cubase went crazy as I seemed to have done the same thing as you (however I did put the files in the wrong place initially so that might have screwed things up), perhaps I’ll try it again and see if I have more luck - thanks for verifying I did the right thing with the plugins anyway! :slight_smile:

Yeh from what I understand the presets are supposed to be factory created impulse files (they have used some kind of convolution technique in the creation of them) so that side of things seem to be hidden - the only thing I can figure is that they intend to release more impulse files in future and then perhaps you can create a preset group of your favorite impulse models (i.e. if they go down the studio monitor route then you could create a collection of your favorite reference monitors for testing mix’s) - but I’m just guessing - so forgive me if I’m totally wrong :blush: - the video is a little vague at best :laughing:

Yipee it works - I must have messed up Cubase when I put the dll’s in the wrong place earlier but all is well (its been a great week I scored ‘TrueCowbells’ and the ‘Virtual Studio’ thingy for free) awesome :sunglasses:

why on earth should they give you tweakability for something that has been designed for beyer headphones , If you use akg then you need an akg program ,if you use shure then …it’s simple really isn’t it :wink:

nothing about this says that its made to use with beyer headphones. Usually programs of this type are made to be used across product lines, especially since every maker produces a variety of headphones. …its really simple,isn’t it?

really so how would you work this with closed cup and open cup and ear buds then ? and I would love to here some mixes done with other manufactures headphones and see how simple it really wont be :wink:

Your question answers itself. This product doesn’t promise a perfect environment, just a different one. Therefore it can work with anyone’s headphone and any style. If it were tailored for Beyer headphones then they,d have to make a specific version for each model they make and they have dozens.

Aloha guys,

Ok I tried it.
Seems like what you want to do is make your mix sound as
good as it can sound in all 4 environments.

I start with the ‘Big Venue’ setting and then bounce between
the ‘Car’ and the ‘Studio’ settings until the mix sounds as good as it
can in all three settings. (I have not used the 5.1 setting yet)

No EQ’ing. Just volume mixing

Interesting.

{‘-’}

Nobody’s forcing you to use it.
The proof is in the pudding for those willing to give it a try, and if it compares favorably with the material actually played in the physical environments being simulated then it’s a good thing. If it doesn’t pass muster then it’s crap. It’s not crap just because you decide it must be.

I agree totally, only time/experience will tell as I honestly didn’t think much of it at a glance (mainly because I didn’t understand it) but I’ve been using it throughout the day now and its definitely growing on me - the modelling behind it is really interesting. I’ve been trying to put my finger on what its doing; and initially it just sounds like a convolution reverb…

…but then; through A/B comparison you begin to realize that it functions like ‘Dolby Headphone’ also in that when you turn on say ‘Stereo Studio’ - you immediately realize that it decouples the sound from each side of your head and projects it in front of you - interesting stuff! I understand that there are a few tools out there that achieve similar effects such as ‘redline monitor’:

So clearly there are a variety of things going on and I would imagine there is substantial research and hard work behind this (I mean look at the collabarotars HOFA Studios, Bauer Studios, Institute of Technical Acoustics etc). Its never good to judge something at face value, as this is shallow, I mean, on the surface if you are expecting some really snazzy looking VST interface full of intricate controls and you’re actually presented with this bland box with a few buttons - its easy to just dismiss it, but I think its got some interesting potential and I’m excited to see how it develops! :slight_smile:

Aloha, curteye! I was wondering …

How different was the end result from your previous “normal” mix … when played on your usual speakers?

Funny you should ask.

I don’t know. Yet.

I did all this last night at about 3am in headphones.
As I post this I am just about to head to the studio. (after a lil coffee).

I’ll post back in a couple of hours.
{‘-’}

+1
The very first ‘Loudness Maximizer’ was like this.

Few controls but if you used the best plug ever made (yer ears)
with it, the LM could be very useful.

{‘-’}

Sorry guys,
Had a few errands to run.

After listening to the mix (I did in the headphones) in the studio;
I am confused.

There is a part of me that likes the results. And a part that is
skeptical but I don’t know why.

For me mixes come in three flavours:
Good,bad and ‘in-between’.

‘In between’ mixes are those where you can hear each and every instrument/vox etc
perfectly all the way thru the song. And yet something is still missing.

That’s type of the mix I got from this plug. The mix sounded pretty much the same
on a boom box, my home stereo, and in the car. But still something was missing.

So you see where I am going here.
The plug is kinda sorta alright depending on what you are trying to get out of it.

Supermarket/Doctor’s office music—fine
Music to get yer lady to take off her clothes—probably not. :slight_smile:

Also I need to spend more time with it. Hard to judge with just one mix.

Anybody else?
{‘-’}

I think the best uses for this plugin, as it is, would be a alternative check for a mix that you’re satisfied with. If it came with a library of additional impluses then it would be more sophisticated and therefore more useful. I 've tried it on mixes that I liked and its given predictable results . Headphones only,of course

That’s hilarious… would never work at my place! :laughing:

You all realize you’re just listening to four crappy IR’s, right?

Sigh :unamused:

This is true.
But then my car or my living room do not conform to any standards either, but it is a well known procedure for checking out the translation of a mix.
In reality, if one knows ones studio well enough, one knows how to mix for good translation without the need for such a plugin. So a Pro is not likely to put any value into such a plugin I agree, but it could be helpful for an amateur or hobbyist who hasn’t yet developed this knack, provided of course that the simulated environments truly reflect the physical places (and this must be checked by the user). I think it could be a useful development tool, reliance on which should naturally diminish with experience.