VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

The VST Connect SE plugin sends a message to the Performer application, asking it to change its sample rate to the Cubase rate. Usually this works automatically, but some audio interfaces can not be switched to another rate externally. In this (rare) case, the performer has to manually set the audio device to the same rate that the engineer with Cubase has.

Mads, I don’t think this has anything to do with your case. We’ll connect and find out soon :slight_smile:

We sorted it out - thanks for the great cooperation, Mads!
It was because the Remote Latency setting was set to 0.1 seconds, with no appearent reason - that’s way too few, and we’ll make sure that it can’t be set that low in upcoming versions. Remember it takes time for the headphone mix to travel to the Performer, and it takes time from the Performer back to Cubase, both with latency and the internet in between which is often unpredictable. So you should set it to 1.0 seconds or so to be on the safe side.

Mmmm I can’t stop this box that keeps popping up and saying wrong sample rate… The strange thing is I’m getting the message and not the performer :frowning: so frustrating we’ve both tried 44.100 and 48000 but no joy

What is the performers’ audio hardware? And could you possibly let him try some other audio device, or check with another Performer?

Hi Musi

I had my first real online writing session today using VST Connect SE and it was quite productive. The connection worked flawlessly for several hours without a glitch and the sound quality was great.

Here are some thought and suggestions for improvements.

I’d say that a [Rehearse] mode is a very important function that needs to be added. Because right now only the talent can express musical ideas when Cubase plays the project. The producer has no easy way of being creative without first recording the ideas. Adding a rehearse mode which enables the sound from the tracks in input monitoring mode to be sent to the “To Performer” group track and sent to the collaborator, will enable the producer or sound engineer to add ideas in a creative way. Please add this functionality soon! :slight_smile:

Communication is everything, so please add a talkback lock function for the producer so that he or she always can talk with the talent. No matter if Cubase is in playback, record or rehearse mode. Both parties need to wear headphones anyway, so talkback latency won’t be a problem during playback or recording.

Cheers
Fred

Mmmm I can’t stop this box that keeps popping up and saying wrong sample rate… The strange thing is I’m getting the message and not the performer > :frowning: > so frustrating we’ve both tried 44.100 and 48000 but no joy
Dj Aaron B New Member Posts: 24Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:50 am

well this problem has been solved but I don’t really know why :blush: while I was having this issue I now realise that I had HP audio drivers waiting to be upgraded and waiting for a reboot…? I cant find any other answer for why it kept saying we are on different sample rates when we were ? anyway now the wrong sample rate box has disappeared when we connect there’s still no audio. when I click on the settings wheel the bottom box just says Audio (not connected) we both have our cards and devices set right :frowning:

That is…in the Performer settings in the Cubase plugin? “Not connected” means just that…what do the other items in that view say? Did you try a second time, mean to say does it happen every time? You understood that the “Performer” settings in the Cubase VST Connect SE plugin are remote controlling the items on the Performers’ computer, did you?
If all else fails feel free to write a PM. So far we sorted out each and every problem :slight_smile:

I’m just thinking out loud…would anyone be interested in setting up a forum song that can be passed around to a few individuals who might enjoy experimenting with VST’ Connect SE. I’m more of a player user than an engineer user , guitarist, and have some free time now that summer is approaching. I won’t take the lead on this yet,I am still in the process of getting started but after reading 6 pages of posts, seems do able

I would actually be highly interested if at some point they can also get this to function within the same local network. My studio consists of two separate rooms with separate computers in separate buildings, but with the same Internet account. If in the future there be someway to link them using VST Connect, that would be awesome! :smiley:

A “pro” version has been mentioned at additional cost, which will work on a private LAN. I asked the same question a few dozen pages back!

I would personally recommend both users be connected directly to their router or modem via a physical ethernet connection. A wireless connection on either user’s end is not ideal and will not give you the same performance.

Also a VST Connect SE to VST Performer connection requires two different IP addresses.

Of course this is best - but nevertheless I did it with a wireless performer on a not so fast connection and it worked flawlessly :slight_smile:
Mads

Hello,
I always get “server not responding” when I try to login. Does this mean that ports 5111 to 5113 are not open (it should be now) or can this be also a bandwidth test ? I’m connect via with a cable and the router (from my provider) is set to open this ports.

Did anyone have been blocked by this error before ?

Thanks in advance !

I assume your firewall is configured to not allow UDP at all. The connection server is always available, it’s just as if you open a webpage in your browser. The only difference is that it uses UDP. It certainly has nothing to do with low bandwidth, because for logging in, only a few bytes are exchanged.
With the latest versions, port forwarding should no longer be necessary except in very rare cases.
Do you happen to have some extra firewall installed?

Hi all

I’m not sure if this is an issue or not with VST connect.

I ran into issues running a home based server that I wanted to log into. The method was to connect to a server on the web and it would redirect the dynamic IP and ports to my internet connection(ISP). After many hours of port forwarding, reading about it, etc, i discovered that my setup was running 2 NATs.
NAT = Network address translator
Its purpose is to translate the incoming IP and ports (WAN) to your internal IP addresses on your LAN.
NAT # 1 is in my modem’s firewall and NAT # 2 is in my main router. I don’t use the modem as a router or wireless for personal reasons. Even with setting forwarding on both devices, the uPNP would not work.

To resolve the uPNP not being able to set up port forwarding correctly i disabled the firewall on the modem and set the DMZ to my router’s IP and let it do all the security stuff etc. This fixed my server issues and i have had no issues with VST connect except i want to run it internally.

I have some ideas that i am exploring, to get it to work internally, cuz i want to use my laptop in another room as a capture device. trying to eliminate cables and speakers etc in the other room. It just seems to make more sense. One cat6e cable to my router and all the clutter and noise is minimized.

Please be careful when playing with your network setup, and don’t shoot the messenger.
I’m just sharing my experience.

Gotta go play and record. :smiley:
Cheers

Listen up folks! :slight_smile:

“server not responding” or “another program are in use of the same socket”- type or error can may be nothing to do with your own setup or Internet connection.

It seem that sometimes it can be about STEINBERG-NET servers that are completely down for the moment, that cause this error messages. It can be a good idea to try and see if you can web surf to Steinberg’s website to exclude this kind of problems.

This happen yesterday Saturday 20th of July 2013 approximately between 8-10 PM Standard Central European time. Both the Steinberg-Website and the FORUM was completely down and also “VST Connect” couldn’t be used or connect during this hours.

Because of that it cause all kinds of strange error message when you tried to use of “VST Connect”. It even followed with a long one that urge you contact Steinberg if this errors continues. :wink:

I don’t know exactly how this work but its seem to that “VST Connect” need Steinberg severs to functional correctly. After all the Severs finally were up again, “VST Connect” work perfectly with out any problems again without me changing anything in my setup.
It seem that “VST Connect” need to contact a specific Steinberg Server to get the random code or confirmation of some sort.

Steinberg tech knows exactly more about how this actually do work but I guess they will not explain further for security reasons. I’m glad if they don’t, we don’t want someone to crack and intercept our sessions.

Then after connection has been established I guess the session work in “peer to peer”-mode between the two clients.

I hope it help solve some of the confusions. :wink:

Best Regards
Freddie

Thanks musicullum,
But after many hours trying to get this work, I still get this “Connection Error” - Server not responding.

Also, Cubase does not connect to Steinberg Hub, do you think this could be related ?

This is without firewall, and internet works fine.

Do you think that trying to have a UPNP server working with iTunes could be something to try ?

Thanks !

DiSky

Hi DiSky,
pls don’t confuse UDP with UPnP. VST Connect doesn’t deal with UPnP at all. And The Hub problems might well be related.
UDP is the protocol which VSTC uses to connect to the connection server when you engage the login button. In general, this is no different than sending a search request to Google, because like Google, the server is wide open to welcome your request. This is quite different from me sending a request to your computer, because your firewall is not expecting this and not williing to let anything in just like that.
When Google replies, your firewall has remembered that you sent a request recently and therefor let the reply in.
The only difference with VST Connect is that your browser uses the htp protocol while VSTC uses UDP. This works close to 100% on almost every connection because there is nothing bad with UDP at all. But firewalls can be set to block UDP packets either on the outgoing request (less likely) or the incoming messages.
Unfortunately (in this case) there are often 2 firewalls to look at: the one of your router, and the “software” firewall in your computer (like Windows Firewall). Either of those may have been set to generally block UDP, probably on the incoming side. Except for when there is actually no internet connection, or the connection server is down (pretty much never), connecting to the connection server has never failed.
Things are quite more difficult when you want to establish a peer-to-peer connection as you would do later on. But that has nothing to do with your problem. Bottom line is: the connection server always welcomes requests and replies reliably, so it is very likely that one of your firewalls is set to block UDP traffic (probably incoming). If you tell me exactly what you have I may try to figure out wher to look.
One final thought…whichever software firewall you use, why not switch it off and see if the message vanishes and you get a key. When you have all other applications closed nothing bad can happen. Then at least you’d know whether that was the culprit.
So when you say you switched off your firewall, which one is that? And how to you tell “internet works fine”, do you tell by googling or how else?
Hope that helps,
musi

Hey,
Thank you so much for you reply :slight_smile:

About Firewall : I use Comodo and I did quit before starting Cubase.

About the router firewall, I’m based in France and I have the “neufbox”

I went to the “NAT” section to open UDP :

UDP Plage 51111-51113

Is there a way to check if UDP ports 51111 to 51113 are open ?

I’ll continue investigate, from what you’re saying, the router is probably still blocking this.

Thanks again and have a great day !

DiSky