823 Page User Mnnual - Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!

Dang–I installed the progam and didn’t realize all of the documentation would be in one of the folders. Any chance that manual is available online for download? I’d like to read it at lunch and I don’t have access to my computer at home where the document folder is.

… or at least an option to purchase it seperately, for example the manual for Vegas Pro (~700 pages) is available via Lulu.

Hmm…the PDF is sitting right there in the Documentation directory in my installer folders (After I decompressed the actual archive that I downloaded).

Just grab a copy and read it anywhere?

VP

Hello,

we’re not going to print the manual due to the environmental impacts.

Thanks for your understanding.
Timo

Quite right too!

OK, but Steinberg don’t have to print it … if it were to be published on the net, there would at least be the option for the relatively small number of people who need a printed manual to obtain one, and the environmental impact of that would be a lot less than home printing.

By the way, I don’t buy the “environmental impact” argument … what’s the environmental impact of manufacturing all the iPADs on which the PDFs are being read?

I think the environmental impact argument might be that a door stop of a manual is an entity unto itself where an iPad or Kindle can store/access thousands of books.

I wrote, “…don’t have access to my computer at home where the document folder is.”

I assume when you say “read it at lunch” - you mean on another computer?

Just get a flash drive or a “cloud” location (Skydrive) and copy it to either. Then copy it to you work machine when you get there. Done.

VP

Right. Thanks Bruce, it is indeed in the (temporary) installation directory. Just started a fake installation on my netbook and grabbed it from there. Strange though that it is not copied to the final install location - or reachable from within Wavelab 8 itself.

And, indeed it looks like the good old Wavelab manuals we were used to again! Thank you Steinberg for listening to many of us after the abominal WL7 ‘manual’. And even in A4 format, great!

Now THAT is a really good idea.

Thanks

It’s not reachable in Wavelab? What’s the point of a manual if one cannot get to it?

VP

The entire PDF contents is contained in the online documentation. It’s exactly the same, under another form.

Thanks for the clarification PG.

But as before the the v7 debacle…some of us simply will not bother with the online version at all…even if the documentation is identical. Its a “thing” that cannot be explained I guess :slight_smile:

VP

I agree an additional link in the help menu, towards the pdf, would be welcome.

To the credit of Wavelab 8, I must say the online help is really good this time - as far as I’ve tried. I forced myself to use it earlier today (tried to find the CD-RW erase function) and it came up with what I was looking for very quickly. In other places I tried as well, and the information is good this time - nothing like WL7 help. My earlier remark about the pdf not being there is more related to being used to that from Cubase.

+1, I’ve even discovered things that were already in WL7 that I just never knew about!
I still think Steinberg should publish the manual to e.g. Lulu.com so that one-off prints could be purchased by those that really want hardcopy.

The install .exe is unpackable (eg. with WinRAR) and you can find the pdf in the documentation directory there.

r,
j,

That does not sound like an unreasonable suggestion, although I will be more than happy with the pdf on my tablet - bookmarks, completely searchable - who needs an Index? - what’s not to like?

Understood - that is how I got it in the first place - but then again - this is a total obscure process that the bulk of the user base probably has no knowledge of (or interest) in doing.

It would make more sense for the WL install to actually place the Operation Manual in a folder called Documentation during setup and be done with it. And then do us the service of at least placing a shortcut to it with the newly created Program group.

There should be no need for anyone to have to hack around decompressing the installer archive and so on - just to try and locate the most critical document associated with this software.

VP