MidiGuitar software - by JamOrigion

So my newest problem in discovering MIDI Editing is with the " Piano Roll". I have the track laid out and recorded but I have added an extra note by accident on the keyboard. I can easily erase it with the eraser tool. I stupidly CANNOT seem to get the drawing tool to cooperate as easily in moving this odd fingered keyboard note to a line or two elsewhere …Am I using the wrong tool for this? ( Sorry for the novice question)

I am an audio recorder so this stuff is really new to me with MIDI …but am am diggin’ the heck out of it

Drawing tool doesn’t move notes. You need the selection tool for this. Also knowledge of control and alt modifiers with the selection tool are crucial You really should immediately stop and go look at the midi editing tutorials that came with Cubase . The 10 minutes is well worth it

Thanks Mr. M for 50 years my “read directions first rule” comes last

I’m the same way as and as I’ve gotten older I’m almost militant about not reading in this case the tutorials are something you’ve already paid for and do great job of explains midi and audio editing BTW coming from an audio background none of this is as hard a editing a 1" tape with a razor. Just don’t let yourself think its difficult. As you go along you’ll see that Cubase is the result of 30 years of folks figuring out the easiest way to do something (usually that is)

In 30 years of computer use from my VIC 20, Commodore 64, Apple IIe, PC XT…software has always been very intuitive for me. I’ve gotten so accustomed to just jumping in, that learning how to use it to get a result rarely fit the net ending. All of that Microsoft stuff, Quickbooks, etc . Just never read anything… Just seems to work fine.

Then I discovered Cubase SX 2.0 and have struggled since. It is so flexible and uses some things very different from the data entry type stuff. Even my outdoor stuff, welding stuff, tractors, wiring, motorcycle restorations…not much reading of instructions there either.

Add all of this new fangled electronic music gear and the well formed habit of not reading anything…translates to …doom! I just added a newer midi interface to the PC and just read that the USB switch does something, even though it is just a larger version of my old midi interface with that same USB switch…never read that old manual either. Yes, I realize I’ll never get it right unless I take the time learn it , it’s just so cool to see it doing something, I gladly just press the next button

By the way : heading out to Oakland and Rutherford in the middle of September , your other post has me thinkin’ :open_mouth:

Hey Steve,

I have a very good friend that I met when skiing in 1971… His brother said something like…" Oh, my brother skis…where you are going to be.?" It was one of those things like …yup…OK Mind you I NEVER even met him and only met his brother a day earlier for the first time …after quietly thinking NO WAY is this guy driving 8 hours to meet us…

That night in a HUGE blinding snowstorm at 2 am, a knock on the door and its him… I have made plans like this over 40 years an ONLY ONCE…has this come off like this. Any way, I saw him by surprise in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA in 1984 after losing contact 10 years…Now he is living near Geyserville ??? SO I am going to surprise him again !

I REALLY thought that NJ had some “wild” places. You seem to imply that it is like the wild wild west out there. I have to rent a car in San Fran and RUN LIKE HELL !

Is it a wisdom of aging or do a lot of us begin to enjoy the slow lane? I never was part of that rat race stuff and maybe I pay for it a little now but my life is ALMOST simple … I live in a rather rural area of NJ, maybe one of the last ones left and let the rest of them just give me the finger as they drive by , cut in and enjoy being rude all while texting behind the wheel. In a previous post I had said its is " F U…me first" around here. There are very few of us left from a generation that was so loving, giving and peaceful…but I adapt. IF NOT, I jump on that 1947 Harley Davidson Knucklehead and vent.

As for the learning curves… You know it as I can tell from the fact that you are enjoying the YRG so much, that you have not even set the string sensitivity…Every time you make some sounds, you are just happy to see the result. The GR 33 has these settings and it makes a huge difference when set properly. EVEN MORE FUN. The GR 55 is even more adjustable

I am getting a lot from the Cubase video tutorial but I also forget it quickly unless I keep at it. Just like anything else. The more you do it…etc

I’m really itching to ‘Add To Cart’…

Crap!

In the cart, shrekout compleat!

Crap. Crap. Crap. I don’t have any MIDI sound modules! What was I thinking?!?!?

Draconis
Well, that is something I look forward to hearing about. My guess is the $399 is the going price? I missed that Club Cubase gathering last night. I got out of work at 3 and did not feel like hanging out for 4 hours. Was also hoping to demo a GR55 to compare it to my 33 and see if it might be worth the upgrade

Steve,
Something seems to have told me you and shenanigans go hand in hand. With 2000 + posts your personality comes out a bit. I know that is why I enjoy these discussions. For what it’s worth, those string sensitivity adjustments on the GR had really made a BIG difference and made the sound “cleaner” but that’s not the right word. It just plays the sounds like they might have sounded if the actual instruments were in the room and not being implemented by a guitar.

just like when you and I first met

. I need to remember that one. Some of those late Cubase nights might prove it useful. We met in 1975 so by this time, it’s moot…I think.

Well, I think it turns out to be $132 + change, plus three more payments of $99.95. I ordered too late to get it tomorrow, so it will arrive Monday afternoon, delivered by my UPS guy, Rich Williams.

I don’t run XP anymore on my DAW. It’s all Win7 64. I’ve already got a Yamaha KX8 88-key AI controller on USB, but also an Axiom 25 on USB MIDI. No problems yet that I know of.

Your dedication to antiquated technology is your thorn.

Hey, good idea. I’ve got a junker Yamaha strat, with an Ibanez rock maple neck, that will do a nice job there.

FedEx is my carrier, and they have listed tomorrow as the delivery date…

Oh man, goody goody!

I’m cleaning and restringing that old strat now. Hold the strings, in case they need to be removed!

Great break…a Saturday delivery ! Looks like we’ ll be busy tomorrow. Do you read the instructions first ? :laughing:

By the way, I’m will to bet I have that same Yamaha strat…this one is black. I keep it behind the couch for those moments of inspiration, and, it plays as good as my Strat.

Okay, this is getting somewhat strange, in a “6 degrees of similarity” kind of way.

The Ibanez neck on this strat…well, the Roadstar it came off of was black…before I painted it candy apple blue.

So, the friend of my cousin’s friend’s sister…LOL

BTW, bought this baby for $25.

That usually depends upon the product. This one, most certainly.

In fact, I’m already reading it. Looks like much of the software included must be downloaded. I’m chuffed.

Okay.

The Fishman Triple Play is here. I’ve installed the controller and pickup on the beater strat. It would not have fit my Ibanez RG. It took less than a half hour to get it installed physically on the guitar, and to adjust the pickup height.

I’m off now to register this bad boy and download all of the software for it, since none of the software is included in the box. There is, however, a very nice 9 foot USB to micro-B cable included.

Update: 11 GB of file downloads lie ahead!

Okay, first, you open the box (or browse the colorful packaging like a child in a confectioner’s shop).

Second, you remove the plastic tray(s) that hold(s) everything. There are a few pieces of lit (warranty [1 year P&L] pamphlet, “In A Hurry” card, an exceptionally sparse installation card, and an intro guide), a bag of hardware mounting plates, power supply, 9 foot USB to micro-B cable, string spacing gauge & tiny screwdriver, and some pickup spacer mounts. The Triple Play controller and pickup, along with the receiver, are sandwiched between two thin plastic molded pieces.

There is also a product registration card, but it’s like a credit card. You have to scratch off (and sniff?) the code you’ll need to register at the Fishman website to get all of this nifty software. One might presume that this also constitutes a complete product registration for warranty purposes, as well.

You can install the magnet ring, which fastens the controller unit to the guitar body, on either one of the included metal supports (these easily attach under the end pin of your guitar without even removed the pin), or directly to the guitar finish. I’m guessing you will choose the end pin install option, as I did. Once the magnet ring is installed, the controller and pickup combo can be very easily removed from the axe. The pickup slides off, and the controller just sort of pops off - the magnets are just the right strength to avoid snagging.

The software suite is impressive: Presonus Studio Artists ver 2 (3.2 GB Win - 3.6 GB Mac), Notion Progression (1.5 GB), Komplete Elements (4.5 GB) and SampleTank XT (1.5 GB Win - 1.4 GB Mac), plus the Triple Play software (30 MB Win - 70 GB Mac) itself.

Update #2: These downloads are ISO files, so you will also need software to either read these, or you will need to burn them to DVD.

Update #3: Since I never use this guitar for anything else, I’ve decided to adjust the saddle height for optimum pickup spacing for the MIDI pickup. Burning DVDs now also.

Drac, You should write this review for a magazine. Excellent reading. Nice to hear your thoughts when you have had an hour or two under your belt…My fedex guy came to the house today also, but his delivery was flowers for my wife from my son…no triple play yet.

No. Stop using budget internet.

No. Stop living in the past.

Yes, the tuning matters. Yes, it will screw up the MIDI, but it won’t be funked. Far from funked will it be. Stop trying to cheat the gods.

I’ve decided to return this unit. It is no better than the Roland units, with which I have had some experience.

All of these pickup-based units have the same problems. They simply are not worth the time & effort IMO.