MidiGuitar software - by JamOrigion

A knucklehead, eh? :sunglasses:

My CPU is about 3 years old, maybe 4. My most recent computer purchase, other than music software, was a 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD for recording. You can progress without staying in dinosaur valley, and it doesn’t have to be expensive, either ($89.99 for the Samsung SSD).

Clearly you are not an expert on two-wheeled motorized transportation.

Actually, the burliest (ugliest and smelliest, too!) biker I ever knew was a BMW rider… :laughing:

NJ is no place be riding these days either. If I leave enough reaction time to the rear of any vehicle in front of me, some sob with zip right in front and take the space. Guess what ? At the next red light, he got there first, wow. A holes all over. Non thinkers and when they get in a bind, they believe its the other driver, so if your ridin’ you have got to be more intimidating so they stay away from you.

Steve, which motherboard you’re using? The last old computer I had I bought a used touch screen monitor and made an in the wall juke box. The software runs dual monitors so the display also triggers a 42" wall TV on the other end of the wall. I think the entire thing cost me under 200.00, the monitor was 45. As a jukebox, there ain’t no such thing as a fast computer. It runs like any other coin op machine…only free!

I’ve been spending a bit of time reading the manual on Cubase 7 and it is eating up the time I could spend putting in a few tracks but I think if I can remember the stuff I’m reading, my next sessions will be more complete

I’ve been continuing to play with the Fishman. I might end up keeping it. You definitely approach your playing in a different way, plus there are things you’d play on a guit-box that you’d never play on a keyboard.

Either dumb luck or I’d had no pre-conceived notions about the GR33 and its input capability. I knew there was a need to re-define my style of playing especially when trying to emulate the sound of several other kinds of instruments. The nuances of their sound commands it. I was pretty pleased with it from the start and that was over 5 years ago. My midi skills were not as developed but it was darn good to play and play back thru the mt-32 module. I also have the Casio PG-380 guitar. The caps go bad and need to be replaced but they easily demonstrated their weaknesses as solo instruments. The Godin and Brian Moore guitars were all the first directly plugged in devices I had used with the GR.

Steve, if you were closer, like Nebraska, I’d have you stop by and try it :smiley:

I know it would be a great time to get together and hack out a few tracks as the learning curve for me could skyrocket. In fact while too old to hang out at a music shop, I do stop in occasionally but rarely meet some people with the diverse approach to playing as you might read about here. In fact the last few months I pass by and see 12 year olds with their brass instruments or drum sticks. In can only imagine the repercussion of asking a parent to play with their kids in today’s world…I have a friend who is a motorcycle cop and when he gets home from work, the little kids flock around him and want to go over to his apartment…No way! Outside he’ll hang out but that’s all.

So since we are all over the place globally, I’m stuck in the basement , solo

I live in NJ…but I don’t have a basement.

Steve, been planning an expansion of this house since the kids were 5. They are now 30.

So after you installed the software, did it make some changes in the operation to you? There are drivers and controls for many of the pieces in my system and I don’t believe that some really do anythng now that USB is more defined.

I was watching a new GR55 YouTube thing with Alex Hutchings and it did mention a few points about setup and playing style which we had mentioned a few days ago. I think I would like to try the Triple Play

Like I said earlier, I am in NJ… :sunglasses:

Agh! "…

Hmm, I take it that you’re not interested in trying my TriplePlay…

:cry:

Steve,

Nice article. I don’t stay to close to this kind of info but my guess is NAMM is late fall? These are nice innovations and the cost has certain gotten reasonable as large scale integration trickles into everything today. Funny how the new guitars all tout a “vintage” sound " rock tones" “crunch” and more than half of the new music is techno, rap or electronic. Gimme a fuzz box and amp and we’ll just keep playing ROCK n’ ROLL. :smiley:

COULD NOT agree MORE! Funny thing is…I have a lot going on in my life right now so my music has taken so much of a back seat it is’nt funny. Thankfully I have re-discovered that playing and using the equipment does help parts of the week become less screwed up. When I acquired the instruments and equippment I have years back, things were rolling along to the point where I REALLY believed I would be available by now to sit and focus on achieving a few good things musically and record them etc.etc. Unfortunately, I am only re-awakening those desires now but having minimal opportunites to fulfull them. Changes are around the corner for the better so I am building a bit more of an understanding of all operations for the day when I can sit for a few hours during the day an play.

I think your choices on the YRG has a good theory. You will provide the function and input to gain the experience and then apply that to a complete set of new uses and devices. That is a plan so many use in EVERY successful series of events whether business or pleasure. A friend could have worked for a company and learn all of the ins and outs but he had the cash to go all out with NO knowledge and, of course, crashed and burned.

If you can run into a music store with a GR55 setup to demo, you should go give it a try, especially if you can do it with a Godin synth access guitar. I REALLY think that the Godin is what provided such instant success on my end

Hopefully, it will be at The B@sshole! :laughing:

Yeah, but seeing as how you are logistically closest to the actual Bass Hole, I’m guessing you’ll beat us there.

MIDIGuitar has been updated. It works better. I don´t think hexaphonic pickups are doing any better.

If you want to try it without listening to the built in sounds, use software monitoring and turn the track volume off-
Instruments that require cc11 assignment work without the expression pedal. One might assign it to velocity or something, sorr, i´m no MIDI expert.

Just bought it. Almost to good to be true. I think my VG99 is going to be sold or traded.
The last release hosts plugins in Standalone mode and VST, thus one might record VSTI has anything audio. No need to create MIDI tracks. However one can create folder tracks with audio and dummy MIDI for later editing. It just got to be idiot proof.
MIDI Guitar is awesome. :astonished:

no man. honest. I record a bass line using an obscenely huge sampler library. i disconnect it and listen to the audio record of it. AWESOME- I loath MIDI. Never liked it. Now i can dump it all together, :mrgreen:
I´m truly happy because we can´t do this in Cubase. In others sequencers we can but that´s an hassle.

Steve, first i was wrong. The file recorded on the audio track is the clean sound of the guitar. Maybe if one insert MIDIGuitar in a input channel the recorded sound appearing on the audio track would be what we listen.
I think you are forgetting to record or monitor enable on the MIDI track. Check that.
It goes like that. Insert MIDIGuitar on a audio track. Create a MIdi track or instrument, on the dropbox for MIDI input selection select MIDIGuitar, on the output a VSTi. It works for me.
Notice that you have to accommodate your playing to the instrument you choose. If it´s a percussive thing like a piano, or something with less attack like a sax or strings.
I think it´s fantastic compared to other gear i have, It can be underwhelming to people who is introduce by it ar first without having the hassle of fiddling with other gear, to me it´s amazing still.

Hey Steve!
I bet that you already have figured it out by yourself but in case not:
MidiGuitar has internal routing. You might choose on the main panel, below at the left the option to listen to the DI or no audio output (none). Also it allows you to plug in your favorite Gui Plugin in the chain.
The host (Cubase) will take care of the I\O in plugin mode.
Bye. :slight_smile: