Latency Questions for MOTU 896HD

Hey there Knuckle 47,

Here is my understanding. Alot of your latency performance is related to your computer’s processing power. As you decrease the buffer size (and increase the sample rate) the computer has less time to properly stream the audio, and consequently, that is when you hear the common pops/clicks so forth.

It really isnt uncommon to set you buffer size as low as 64 samples for DAW playback on superior systems and audio cards with decent drivers. MOTU’s drivers are very decent for the price range, and much better than say M-audios or Presonus’s.

Now when setting the latency too low on my system when controlling say a VSTi with a keyboard, many times you can get this weird chorus effect. I think the cause is a bit technical as I recall, but normally you want to allow for more buffer when you are monitoring MIDI and obviously use your zero latency DSP software when recording audio. Since playback audio only encounters the ASIO output buffer, it can most likely take more punishment at lower buffer sizes than a recording setup regardless of your system.