Latency Questions for MOTU 896HD

I’ve admitted this before . My Cubase skills have stagnated for years and only in the last few months have I had opportunity and abilities to sit, read and experiment. This has significantly enlightened my approach to the multi-tracking I initially planned in 2004. The midi stuff alone has increased the depth of my recordings 3-5 times over what I was doing. Adding ALL of the other flexibilities of Cubase have really opened so many many more options…I’m just on the edge of getting lost again only armed with a lot more information.

I am willing to experiment with this 96kHz recording since most of the tracks I am now recording are dupes of some of my previous stuff and my master stuff is preserved. Not mixed , but all of the raw tracks are there. As I have discovered in the last 3weeks, if I don’t ever try it, I’ll never know what it does. So I am anxious to do a few new things just to see outcomes.

I’ve taken a few audio guitar tracks and added a few process to them that changed them a lot. Some were good, some not. I think I may have gotten to a point in midi and VST’s where I think I need more versatility in the sounds. Out of the box stock collection of sounds in c7 and my VST instrument collection from 2003? is what i am using. I noticed tonight that I don’t care for the selection of brass instrument sounds I have in some of the pieces I have added them to. I did buy a sound set from Sequel 2 …rock, I think. I’ve read about people using different drums, orchestra etc. I see that I may need to look into these.

I believe my best discovery a few days ago is knowing that my computer equipment is running well and can handle the CPU loads and throughput . My drives are big and empty so if an experiment turns out nicely , fine but I am not against wiping it clean. At least my foundation is pretty solid, I can move on from here not feeling that my limits are causing issues.

In the long term, I’ve always just wanted to play with another guitar player who knows my quirks faults and style. By laying down multiple tracks, how lucky could I have gotten to find a guy like that on track 1 and 2 :smiley: now that I can add a few wisps of Hammond b-3 and a line or two of brass, bass, strings or pan flute…gee, it sounds great.

I would love to go into a recording studio and just watch the process the pros use to create their magic.
For me, it has been a great few weeks of of re-focus. All of these options have great potential. Cubase 5 had tutorials on how to start recording and go on from there. I would like to see a tutorial on the things we have discussed here and in other areas of the forum. I prefer that to reading it any day