from SnowLeopard to Mountain Lion, any diff in performance?

So with Maverick coming this fall, I wondered if this would be a good time to migrate my '09 quad MacPro from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4

I don’t really need to, but I don’t want to be 3 generations behind when Maverick drops…

I am on Cubase 6.5.3 (64-bit) and wondered if other users upgraded from SL to ML and how it has affected general performance and stability, if at all.

Thanks for chiming in.

Aloha z,

I posted about this way back when ‘Lion’ and then ‘M. Lion’ first came out.

As far all the new Apple features added, when compared to Snow Leopard.
there were no ‘Core MIDI’ or ‘Core audio’ enhancement/improvements
in Lion or M.Lion at all.

IMHO raw power is great but ‘Core MIDI’/‘Core audio’ stuff
is what is really important when it comes to ‘stable’ DAW use on the Mac.

BTW
I too watched the keynote re: .Mavericks’ and once again
no mention of any advancements in ‘Core MIDI’ or ‘Core audio’
Mac technology.

I feel a lil disappointed.
But time will tell.
Things may change by the time 10.9 Mavericks ships.

but I don’t want to be 3 generations behind when Maverick drops…

Not just with the OS. Even today there are some lil probs with C7 and 10.6.xx.

{‘-’}

Bump. Anyone?

I have 10.8.4 on a brand-spanking-new MacBookAir here, but I don’t use that for audio yet.

As you may know, Apple’s Mac OS X 10.9 has just been released. Currently we are testing all Steinberg products for OS X 10.9 compatibility. The testing is still going on, so we cannot provide you with the final results.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise. Some Steinberg hardware products need to be updated as well to ensure full compatibility with the new OS X version. We therefore recommend you not to upgrade to OS X 10.9 yet.*

We are already working on updates for affected products in order to make them available as soon as possible. We will keep you up to date. Please continue to visit http://www.steinberg.net for news and updates.

*In case you are using Cubase 7 and want to update to OS X 10.9 anyway, please make sure to deactivate the “Display have separate Spaces” option in the Mission Control Preferences.

Well they have.
Seems there HAVE been changes to ‘Core Audio’.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise.

And what do these changes do?

Break Cubase! —go figure.
{‘-’}

It’s January and I finally got the opportunity to migrate to ML.

Only thing that needed updating was the driver for my Roland Fantom X7, and my machine benches ~5% lower than before, but otherwise things seem to be okay.

Nice to finally have iCloud sync on my studio computer… :slight_smile: