SKI causes fatal crashes

You are not clear enough. Are you saying that Cubase and Nuendo - with SKI installed - will crash the computer if you change input connections? Or are you saying that you have the iC Pro app running when this happens? Another thing? When you mention that this happens in Nuendo… what can the iC Pro app control in Nuendo and where does it list that SKI is installed in Nuendo?

So riddle me that please and maybe somebody can be of some help.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

"Are you saying that Cubase and Nuendo - with SKI installed - will crash the computer if you change input connections? " Yes, that is what I am saying, sort of. Any audio routing change, not just input connections. Also, it crashes upon audio mixdown, with not re-importing as well. With SKI installed on the computer, but not enabled in Nuendo/Cubase all is fine, enable SKI as a remote device in “Devices” then the crashes happen 100 percent of the time when IC Pro is running on the iPad.

"Or are you saying that you have the iC Pro app running when this happens?" Yes, that is when it happens. Further testing reveals that it doesn’t happen when IC control app is not running on the iPad even though Ski is loaded and active in the host.

“When you mention that this happens in Nuendo… what can the iC Pro app control in Nuendo and where does it list that SKI is installed in Nuendo?” IC Pro provides the exact same function in Nuendo as Cubase and appears in the remote devices menu exactly as Cubase, thought not officially supported I understand.

OK, Rob, thanks for the clarification. I will experiment a bit and get back to you. Honestly, I have not had occasion to run the app and swap my inputs. I do know there would be a lag in ms as the swap was made, and maybe as long as a second or two, which seems logical to me. And it could well be that the app can’t keep up with the swap? In which case, if the app can’t keep up, I would agree, (if this is your unstated point),it would be nice if the app would automatically disconnect itself and not take out the DAW.

Well, if what you say is true, at this point it seems logical that you should disconnect the app connection before making any cable swaps. What’s so hard about this? I love the app, if I end up having to do what I suggest to you I will live. But I will try what you are doing and see what I get…

Hi Rob,

We’re going to investigate on your issue.

We do not officially support Nuendo so far, therefore could I ask you whether you could send us the crash dump of your Cubase 7 only?
Once it happened you can find this file in your Documents, then go to Steinberg folder, then crashdumps and upload the corresponding file.

Thank you very much for your report

Cheers,

I just had to uninstall the program on my pc because cubase (6.5) wouldn’t load fully and locked. I used the app once after getting it worked but when I tried to open up cubase again it froze. It wasn’t until I uninstalled the remote program that cubase worked again.

Just as additional info, no crashes occur when using Cubase IC, they are just with Cubase IC Pro.

Hi,

It likely seems to be a bug in Cubase.
The crash has been reported two weeks ago to the corresponding team and they will work on it soon.

I’ll keep you up-to-date once we know more about it.

Cheers,

Hey there,

I too am getting this crash message when I do almost any audio related task.

Even going to Mediabay with the app open causes a crash when I preview loops.

Just thought I would let you know. Also, it seems to be very consistent.

Cubase 7 64-bit.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Could you send me a private message with a/some crash log(s) attached?

Cheers,

I’ve now narrowed my crashing issues to this too.

I’ve just built a whole new machine because i started having problems recently with crashing when changing any audio inputs/outputs or control room changes via the F4 menu.

I couldn’t get to the bottom of it and eventually just thought it was time for a new machine.

fast forward to today, new machine which has been performing great for a week, I brought my ipad into the studio as i needed to record myself and…bang instant crash like before…I couldn’t believe it after building a new machine.

A bit of quick thinking and I thought the only thing that’s changed today was the SKi remote. Switched off the ipad and all’s fine, switch on the remote and bang…crash city everytime.

This is a show stopper and bad in front of clients.

where are the log files and i’ll send you todays?

MC

Any update on this? its a show stopper and it’s been 3 months.

MC

Hi,

First and foremost very sorry about the late update.
This issue had to be checked by several departments before being identified and sorted out.

It’s been fixed now for the very next Cubase iC Pro update. However no date has been announced yet.
Since this is a showstopper we’re doing our best to give you a release date asap, eventually put it forward.

The only workaround is to disable Direct Monitoring in the VST audio settings. That might be very inconvenient for some of you we assume though.

Sorry about that all.

Cheers,

I’ve just last night started using IC Pro.
I have seven or so .dmp files from hard crashes.
My question, do you desire additional dump files or is the matter sorted?
Thanks,
Charley

Hi,

What’s the status on this issue?

Guys, this is a showstopper and so having to wait 6 months for a fix is unreasonable, especially as it only punishes people who have invested in Steinberg own hardware!

A hot fix patch in this case would have been the way forward.

MC

I can’t have SKI Remote installed on the computer at all, as Cubase will crash even if I’m not connected to a device using IC pro. I would love to use IC pro, but as it is now, it renders my DAW useless.

I hope you can get this fixed asap.

So I am assuming that Steinberg has dropped development and any attempt to fix this app? It’s been quite a while with no response or resolution…

Hello Armand,

“Since this is a showstopper we’re doing our best to give you a release date asap, eventually put it forward.”

I realize that this delay is beyond your control, but, please give us an update.

CharleyG

I did a new test, now that 7.5 is out, but the problem is still there.

Steinberg, PLEASE get a move on. You charge money for the iC Pro, but because of a problem at your end - which you have aknowledged - we can’t use it. Please give us an update. What is the status?

+111111111111111111