Napoli - mix 2

The first thing that I must clear up though, is that it should be a cello and not a double bass because the E to D above middle C are both out of range for a bowed double bass which can play the B below middle C as its highest note, so that’s one of the reasons that it sounds unnatural. When sherz said just above that it didn’t quite fit, this is the reason that he was essentially getting at. ;p The second thing is that the timbre/texture of a double bass being bowed that high just isn’t pleasant to hear, again it should be a cello which can add a nice expressive vibrato at that range and still have a fairly full bodied sound as opposed to the much smaller viola as well as a greater control over dynamics. And if it were a cello it could play some much nicer melodic legato lines.

Now that’s out of the way…

Really interesting intro and I’m loving the combination of the guitar and the piano. I’m also loving the guitarists performance, but I felt that the positioning of the guitar didn’t quite feel right and I don’t mean left or right, idk it feels like it’s more to the front too much than the piano, or perhaps the piano is too far back. I don’t know if it’s just because it’s nylon strings or what but it feels that way. I really like the expression in your performances, you have a very good sense of dynamics and expression, which I think is quite hard to achieve on piano.

I was thinking after the intro, what I’d love to hear is a plucked double bass and it certainly fills up the sound when it enters. The chords, harmony and melodic content are all really soothing in a dreamyish kind of way. The tone/mood of the piece seemed to resonate with me more than others, no idea why, it just does and that’s quite nice. A very enjoyable listen, well done (as usual.) Top tunes and a second of yours favourited, I really loved Someday and Forever.