Spectrum View & Spectral Editor Switching Issue

Unless otherwise stated, I will refer to the main view, not the top view.

1. I’m in Waveform View.
  2. I switch to Spectrum View. Spectrum View comes up fine.
  3. I switch to Spectrum Editor to fix a problem in the audio.
  4. I switch back to Waveform View.
  5. I switch to Spectrum View. Except now instead of Spectrum View, Spectrum Editor comes up.
  6. I switch between Waveform View and Spectrum View but Spectrum Editor keeps coming up instead of Spectrum View.
  7. The only way I can “reset” the Spectrum View tab back to Spectrum View is to click the Spectrum View in the TOP view. (Incidentally, when I click the top view spectrum view tab, the program freezes for approximately 10 seconds before the view changes.)
  8. Now, everything works as it should again. UNTIL I go back into Spectrum Editor. Problem happens again.

I see, but this is the desired workflow. In the workflow you describe, in step #5, users generally expect to switch back to Spectrum Edit mode, because this was the last edit mode. Therefore, if you want to forget the Spectrum Edit mode, first select the normal Edit mode:
2013-06-09_10-51-25.png

Thank you. Pressing that button will be an easier way to reset it.

But as far as ease of use is concerned, I’d rather just be able to set up a customized key that ALWAYS goes to Spectrum View and another key that ALWAYS goes to Spectrum Editor. Any way to do this?

But as far as ease of use is concerned, I’d rather just be able to set up a customized key that ALWAYS goes to Spectrum View and another key that ALWAYS goes to Spectrum Editor. Any way to do this?

Following up on this.

You can almost already do that:

1. ALWAYS go to Waveform View: Ctrl + 2
  2. ALWAYS go to Spectrum View: E then Ctrl + 1

Who said anything about Waveform View?

3. ALWAYS go to Spectrum editor: S

I reprogrammed my buttons back in WL7, so can you confirm that in the customized commands menu the names for your keystrokes are as follows?

1. ALWAYS go to Waveform View: “View > Main View Display > Show Waveform”
  2. ALWAYS go to Spectrum View: “Tools > Time Selection” then “View > Main View Display > Show Spectrum”
  3. ALWAYS go to Spectrum editor: “Edit > Tools > Spectrum Selection”

Yes.

That’s pretty much what I’m doing now, but I think in step 2, it’s Ctrl +1 and then E, not the reverse, and that’s only if the last Spectrum state you were in was the Spectrum Editor. If the last Spectrum state you were in was the Spectrum View, then you need not press E. At least that’s what it’s doing for me (assuming the customize command names I listed correspond to the keystrokes you listed, and you said they did.)

So (and I’m translating my key commands into yours)

1. I’m in Spectrum EDITOR. I hit Ctrl +2 to switch to
  2. Waveform View. I hit Ctrl + 1 to switch to
  3. Spectrum EDITOR. I hit E to change over to
  4. Spectrum View. I hit Ctrl +2 to switch over to
  5. Waveform View. I hit Ctrl + 1 to switch over to
  6. Spectrum View. (I didn’t have to press E this time because the last Spectrum state was Spectrum View. I only have to press E when the last Spectrum State is Spectrum Editor.)

When in Waveform view, hitting E then Ctrl + 1 seems to be the same as just hitting Ctrl + 1 because Waveform View defaults to Time Selection. So it really has to be Ctrl + 1 and then E. Unless I am misunderstanding something.

No, I confirm what I said, but this about WaveLab 8, not 7.

I’m using Wavelab 8. When in Waveform View, Ctrl + 1 does the same thing whether you hit E before it or not.

Can you describe step by step what happens? You’re in Waveform View. You hit E. (What happens here?) You hit ctrl + 1.

Since we established E is “Time Selection,” how can you switch to “Time Selection” in Waveform View when Waveform View can only be in Time Selection?

how can you switch to “Time Selection” in Waveform View when Waveform View can only be in Time Selection

Wrong. Time selection can be in Spectrum view too.

Philippe

Wrong. Time selection can be in Spectrum view too.

I know Time Selection can be in Spectrum View. What I said was Waveform View can only be in Time Selection.

Which, I guess I should clarify. I was talking about switching between the two views “Time Selection” and “Spectrum Selection” in the top toolbar. (See picture.) I understand you can switch Waveform View from “Time Selection” to “Play” to “Zoom” to “Pen.” You just can’t switch it to “Spectrum Selection,” because that takes you to the “Spectrum Editor.”

So, please, help me understand:

Can you describe step by step what happens? You’re in Waveform View. You hit E. (What happens here?) You hit ctrl + 1.

And for the purposes of this example, let’s say you’re in Waveform “Time Selection” View. Not in “Play,” “Zoom” or “Pen.”
1.jpg

The shortcuts are mentionned are not hidden functions. To know what they do, simply look at these menus:
2013-06-26_19-19-39.png

Yes, we’re definitely talking about the same functions.

What I’m still trying to get out of you is why you hit “E” before “Ctrl +1” instead of “Ctrl + 1” before “E.”

You wrote:
2) ALWAYS go to Spectrum View: E then Ctrl + 1

So, again:

When in Waveform View, Ctrl + 1 does the same thing whether you hit E before it or not (assuming you’re in “Time Selection” view.)

Can you describe step by step what happens? You’re in Waveform “Time Selection” View. You hit E. (What happens here?) You hit ctrl + 1.

Following up on this. Please refer to last message

I answer by a question: what does not work in what I suggested?

You wrote:

what does not work in what I suggested?

Here’s what doesn’t work in what you suggested: “E then Ctrl + 1” does not always go to Spectrum View.

For example,

1. I’m in Spectrum EDITOR. I hit Ctrl +2 to switch to
  2. Waveform View “Time selection” mode. At this point, I’d like to go to Spectrum View (not editor). According to your instructions, I hit “E then Ctrl + 1.” But that takes me back to Spectrum Editor

On the other hand, by hitting “Ctrl + 1” first and then, after it switches to Spectrum EDITOR, hitting E (changing from Spectrum Selection to Time Selection), I’m now in Spectrum View. All I’m saying is it’s “Ctrl +1 then E,” not “E then Ctrl + 1.”

If I’m wrong about this, please EXPLAIN WHY I AM WRONG. I’m trying to understand.

Ok, it’s clearer now. This was a swap from my side, this should be:

1. ALWAYS go to Waveform View: Ctrl + 1

2. ALWAYS go to Spectrum View (time selection): Ctrl + 2 then E
    Ctrl+2 is only necessary if the Spectrum Editor is no already active.