Cubase 7.0.5 discussion

Steinberg, hire this man if you wanna push the new mixer.

I really like the new mixer “concept” and it did wonders for my workflow, despite all the nightmares in the implementation. Face it guys, the new mixer is not going away. Cubase’s old mixer is not coming back, the new mixer was the big new feature for v7, so let’s do like the user above and help Steinberg get it right.

I love this look.

Can it look like this on all (most) ‘puters?
{’-'}

This looks fantastic, minus the hot pink. But well impressed.

Thanks for posting this, but (for me) it doesn’t address the real issues. Customizing the colors is great but the things I don’t care for in the current mixer are…
Major items…

1. The ENTIRE conceptual implementation of the EQ, Sends, Inserts areas. BECAUSE of the way the values are represented like “progress bars” ON TOP OF the numbers or text. It makes the numbers or text hard to read. The EQ section really highlights this problem (why are the “Q” parameters in gray while everything else is in green?). The blue and green “Chicklets” all over the place are distracting and disorienting. This includes the concept of turning the ENTIRE slot blue when it is activated/used, etc. I would really like to see the C6.5 implementation on this. With just a blue “button” for the state and just a blue bar BELOW the text for the send level or a green bar BELOW for the mixer parameters.
  2. The Strip section is difficult for me to even use. I have to zoom way in on the knobs to even read the text or see the knob positions. Personally, it is easier just to load the effect in an insert and open the plug-in editor.
  3. Trying to scroll up and down in the racks with the mouse wheel is hazardous!
    Minor items…
  4. What is the purpose of the little highlighted outline around the Solo/Mute/Read/Write buttons when my mouse is there? If it were crisp I might not mind it so much but it is fuzzy and sloppy looking.
  5. The dark, non-editable background/basic colors and fuzzy text in general throughout the mixer.

To be “Fair and Balanced”, I want to reiterate the things I DO like. I love the pop-up EQ curve with spectrum overlay. I like the separate master/loudness meter. I like the “Visibility” list and the “Zones” (I wish there were the ability for more “Zones” or a way to put more channel “groups” (i.e. a small gap or something).

J.L.

EDIT: I wanted to add (and I think this may be the most important part of my post) that I understand WHY the big, colored slots in the sends, inserts, EQ, etc. It is for TOUCHSCREEN! SO you have a big block area to stick your finger and drag/slide the value. I have a solution to offer. You can still have the ENTIRE slot are be a “touch” control area but just display the value/level as a nice, clean, neat colored bar BELOW the text or numbers. It could even be done such that WHILE the block is being touched or adjusted, the entire block is used for the color bar but once done editing the bar is just at the bottom (again, like in C6).

Hi All,

Many thanks for the kind words! I’m glad that you guys like it, minus the 80s inspired pink. (My meters are the default green too)

@diogo_cme

I agree with your statement. The new mixer IMHO is not going anywhere. I too like its functionality and it did speed up my work flow. That being said, I’m sure it can be improved.

@curteye

I think it should look the same on all screens. All I’ve done is just change colors in the existing UI and removed a bunch of lines that are in my opinion unnecessary. The only think if I remember correctly that is different, are the fader caps. But that too was just rearranging pixels. I hope this answer your question.

Cheers!

Most software companies “engage” their beta testers…

Please don’t say “Thank You” to Steinberg until the mixer and performance have been improved and refined.

When issues like tiny text are still an issue I refuse to think they’ve actually tested the product they’re releasing with humans. :imp:

Exactly !

And while I don’t expect any positive change in that direction …
Any ETA of the Quick Fix, for the ‘big font’ bug ?

Jan

To be completely honest, this is the only thing I don’t like about the latest update, the introduction of the 3 dots around the block is troublesome for me. For example, I load in a plugin, I want to edit, which I would have done by double clicking, instead the mouse keeps catching the middle dot etc. Maybe it’s just my way of working that is awkward, I dunno.

The mixer font is annoying, but I’m not getting too worked up over it since SB have already said they are fixing that in 7.0.6

I’ve been a Cubase user since getting a copy of Cubase SE in college, and personally always loved it. I purchased a copy of Logic Pro 9 and Ableton Live8, and still find Cubase top dog, just kinda wish the product was stable from first release instead of a lot of patch updates to fix bugs.

Anyways! Roll on 7.0.6

The font issues is a royal pain, but insignificant next to the close mixer/edit settings crash issue. Some acknowledgement from Steinberg wouldn’t go amiss.

Or, the mixers not saving their state/size with workspaces. Or, still changing zoom when simply opening closing mixers. Or, losing access to the rack configuration each time you reopen a project. Or, randomly have rack sections disappear even though they are checked, requiring random rack and window clicking/unclicking to try to get them back. etc…

Totally agree… I am irritated by the random glitches as JM points out. I can adjust to change well enough, but if it is randomized, not so cool, especially in front of clients.

this isn’t directed at you, but there’s no way in hell I’m using C7 for studio work. That would be pissing hours a day down the drain.

Nice round up of issues! It’s embarrassing.

My first post ever on this forum…and i have to say just one thing…Cubase 7-7.5…huge disappointment…i will say no more and please dont ask me why…u now why an please fix all the issues because i am already telling people to stay away because there is no way for pro work on C7…sorry…Tonros

I’ve been doing pro work with C7 since its release… guess I’m one of the lucky ones…

Am I the only one who actually prefers the new insert design?

You like the teeny tiny hidden state button that is hard to find, or tell where to click (without an option to not click to open or traverse the inserts using the keyboard) to open the insert, or that non-media bay presets are no longer displayed, or that you can’t hover over the dang thing without the media-bay popping up, or telling what the level is?

I don’t think we mind the font now they have added more contrast … it’s how it functions that sucks.

LOL its not that tiny and hard to find IMO… now that I’ve gotten used to it, I know exactly where to find it.

What do you mean? I can easily tell where to click to open an insert. Also, I believe its still possible in C7 to open inserts using buttons on a controller via the generic remote. Thats what I was doing with C6 but I haven’t tried setting it up in C7 yet.

Not an issue for me personally. I’ve converted all my presets to Cubase’s VSTpreset format (media bay presets).

Huh? The media bay doesn’t pop up when I hover over the inserts.

Not sure I understand what you mean here…

I still use 6.5 for gigs, no chance its getting uninstalled for many moons.