Seeking small ASIO I/O with ADAT IN and OUT

Hi all,

I am looking for a small, ideally half-rack space audio interface that has minimal analog I/O maybe 2 or 4, but does have ADAT IN and OUT. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, but it does not have ADAT OUT. I am looking to use this for both tracking small events, but also for use with Waves Multirack.

More specifically, the production company I work for still has a few Yamaha 01V96 consoles with ADAT IN/OUT built in, so that would be perfect to really clean up the sound/mix on those consoles.

I tried Waves Multirack with an 01V96i, which has a built-in USB 2.0 interface, but I found the latency to be ridiculous compared to a real ASIO interface, even at low buffer sizes.

The MOTU units have what I am looking for, but are on the expensive side.

May be you want to look at rme’s Babyface. Fantastically low latency and low cpu hit. It has ADAT in/out.

I use it for mixing / mastering with my notebook and professional monitor speakers, works great for me.

Regards, Mikael

You know, I figured they would have something, but I didn’t check them out since I know their stuff is top notch and expensive. I use the RME HDSPe MADI and the HDSPe MADIface while I’m out with our Soundcraft Vi4.

I would LOVE to get a Fireface UC or maybe even UCX but coughing up over $1,000 will hurt. Babyface looks great, although I’m skeptical of the breakout cable, though I guess I don’t need it for just ADAT. It’s also up there in price at around $800.

Then again, I thought the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 I have was a bargain at under $250.

Guess you get what you pay for!

You didn’t say whether you intend this for a laptop or a desktop, but if it’s got a PCIe bus then have a look at the RME AIO. I have the RayDAT and just chop and change AD/DA as I please without ever having to worry about messing with drivers – which are by a long shot, the best drivers I’ve ever had to work with!

I do think there’s an opening for a pure ADAT-to-USB interface but good luck finding one … I haven’t used the Babyface but it’s on my wishlist.

What about MOTU Track 16?

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 :bulb: