Cubase on Pc or a Mac ?

Even if the quote is correct, the understanding of the actual situation is not. Steinberg only consider Cubase, and does not take responsibility of any other software. That is of course the correct attitude. However the environment does seldom involve only one computer and cubase. Many of us has much more software to integrate, in both the OS and the DAW of your choose. It is here the MAC outperforms most PCs. That is at least my experience. This does not make me a fan of MACs in general. All my daily work is done on some PC. I have 5 of them and “only” two MACs, but for my DAW I switched to MAC approx 3 years ago after struggling for 6-7 years with different PCs. That is MY experience and that is an experience, not just a fan statement of some kind. After years of struggling it was like taking medicine and feel the headache vanish. I´m not saying that this will be everybody’s experience, but it IS mine. No one can take that away from me, no matter how many quotes they come up with.

+1 and this is why as a looong time Mac user I am considering
the switch. But I must admit that new MacPro looks way kool.
I have been happy using a Mac but
I am not in love with any piece of gear.
They are just tools that will one day be a door stop.

When Steiny basically said;
‘We recommend this ax to run our programme’
Well to me having the most stable system
(to feed my family) is worth some serious thought.
No matter who makes the tool.

Perhaps for some Cubase users but for me:
Dis ain’t no party…Dis ain’t no disco… Dis ani’t no foolin’ around. —talking heads

{‘-’}

After building a dedicated music studio, it was time to update the software to the latest (Cubase 7) and outfit the studio with a state of the art Computer to run it. This time around Steinberg gave a recommendation for a PC family. I discovered that this was going to be a very expensive purchase being HP and because these are not stock items here it seems. Then I was introduced to Lenovo, and although somewhat skeptical, I was assured that Lenovo was respectable, being the true “bloodline” if you will of the original IBM machines, and that these were used onboard the ISS and other NASA projects for mission critical work. I figured why not, so I got a system with similar specs to the HP and haven’t regreted it at all - Cubase 7 runs like a charm.

Oh Cubase has bugs, there’s no getting around that, but I don’t have any of the problems with display or other oddball issues so many seem to be complaining about.
If one is serious about music and serious about their DAW, then it makes sense to ugrade from time to time to the latest i.e. current specs. Software is always (or should be) pushing the limits, and it seems to me we’re at a juncture where many existing hardware bases need to be replaced. This may not be an acceptable option for the amateur, and some serious consideration should be given as to whether they should continue with Cubase or perhaps find something that will run better on their hardware.
If you’re serious, look at the specs of the HP systems suggested and try to come as close to these specs as you can.

Dell always has good pricing on the latest intel i7 PC, I am currently running c7 on two of those pcs, and about two and a half years ago ran one main sequencer and three slave pcs, overall it got the job done well performance wise.

I buy the fastest i7 from them they have a t the time for around 800, go bare bones on other features to keep cost down, except opt for a large c drive, then add a strong video card, add more ram 32 gig is reccomended, install a ssd drive in the second bay to run your primary vst samples…split the c drive into two partitions, and use the biggest chunk for project file back up, or something else…around 1200-1,500 is the cost…

Anyhow with this set up I can run a lot of vst’s, strings, brass, winds, all 3 spectrasonics, drums and perc , spread out on two pcs , I have 16 stero in, into PC 1. I can do this now with 2 PC instead of 4 given the advent of 3rd gen i7…I run 4 monitors with one dedicated to the film. 3 of the monitors are straight out of the primary i7 PC.

I no longer run vst system link to lock transports between pcs via adat, to much random instability.

My experience on if the MAC PRO has power enough:

I run Mac Pro with Vienna, Omnisphere, PLAY and Kontakt, several instances at the same time, (32 at the most). No problem at all. The Mac Pro is 3,2 GHZ. It has 20GB memory and I have 4 TB disc space spread like:
1TB System Disc (where programs are)
1TB Library for all sound files
1TB For all projects and recordings
1TB For PLAY libraries

Some samples are light and some heavy. Guess I could run out of memory if I only use heavy samples, but so far I have not run into that.

The only problem I have is if many instances of Melodyne is loaded. I will then get crackling noises and freezes that buffer change won´t solve. So I internally sum those tracks and remove Melodyne.

I used to have occasional CPU spikes, but they are gone now after the 7.05 update and a regeneration of preferences files.

There is a new MAC Pro just around the corner. Looks interesting, but seems to need an external “house” if large disc capacity is needed. Judging from the video it does not seem as “upgrade yourself” friendly as the current ones.

+1 Just shattered my screen and have been dealing wit different problems outside of cubase as well. My brand new HP ENVY 17t-j000 will arrive in a week. Got a good feeling about this. Cubase will run a lot smoother. :astonished:

Well said!

No brainer! :mrgreen: PC win every time!!!
NO I’m not a FANBOY. Its just the truth.

PC = cost less

PC= You can configure and build it (hardware) for your own personal needs.

PC= WINDOWS 7 / WINODWS 8 are much faster and better performance wise VS any MAC OSX on same hardware configuration. A simple INTEL I7- 6core on Windows 7 outperform any MAC PRO 12 core OSX anytime. Runs it over and back up and runs it over again.

PC= If you like graphic go PC and NVIDIA. I never like MAC Grey-DULL graphic. You can’t edit either to compensate in OSX for vivid color as on PC NVIDIA control-panel.

PC = Work and perform much better in LOW latency applications like DAWS VS OSX Core Audio. In fact MAC is terrible choice regarding any kind of multimedia applications like FILM, TV, VIDEO, Animation or AUDIO-applications.

PC= Are much more safer and secure then a MAC OSX. Yes you heard right MAC isn’t secure at all. If you think that you really fooling yourself. MAC has both VIRUS and very very easy to hack. They don’t have any protection at all.
Why doesn’t MAC have so many virus yet? It doesn’t have so many Virus as PC because it only have a share about 5-15% of all wide computer users in the world. Lets face it majority are on PC. A Virus and TROJAN / hacker like to infect as so many users as possible to use them to his needs example hack a BANK or other security. He must be a very stupid to build a Trojan only for 5% of possible all computer user application.

APPLE PHONE VS Android = are also extreme easy to manipulate and hack and take over. OSX again … and performance same story. APPLE IPhone doesn’t even have flash player? Android phones like Samsung S4 are 10times better and faster. Even IPhone cam are less pixel quality VS most Android phones.

PC= Windows 7 / 8 can be configured and have all kinds of deep options. OSX has no options.

So what have we if we sums it up?.. a MAC is easy to use for anyone…but honestly not very good on anything. All this you pay extra cash even though the prices has been more reasonable VS performance lately. Its still overpriced junk. That’s the raw truth. Take it from someone who knows computers from Windows, OSX, Linux and UBUNTU.

If you love MAC- and it works for you, good for you. But please don’t say its the best, most cost effective or even remotely secure.

Best Regards
Freddie :slight_smile:

Thx Freddie for all this irrelevant information. Only a few of your topics are relevant to a daw, some are your personal attitude, some are false and some are true.

PC´s cost less. YES they do. Wow a fact! You could read up on Steve Jobs biography to understand why.

Great insights Freddie :confused:

Go custom/Windows for good price:performance. Go prebuilt/OSX for convenience.

They’re both PCs. You can easily install Windows to run on any x86 platform, even whatever an Intel Mac uses. The only problem is that the reverse is not always true: you aren’t guaranteed that OSX will run on custom hardware setups.

The bottom line is that you should get the specs for your ideal machine, have a reasonable budget for it, and figure out what OS and software would best suit your purposes. If you have to interface with the machine regularly, you’ll want an OS environment you’re comfortable using. If you only have to boot it up once per day and forget it exists, you might find it easier to sacrifice familiarity and ergonomics for power and control.

I use Windows for just about everything because it does what I want and I know what problems it has. Cubase runs well on it, and so does everything else I use, so there’s no point to change. A comfortable OSX user might think the same in reverse. Heck, an experienced Windows user switching to OSX is like an experienced Cubase user switching to Studio One - “Welcome to Differentopia, we’re so different, our favorite color is blue instead of red! That’ll be $350 and two months of your life for training.”

Use what you’re comfortable with, compromise only if you’re forced to.

I knew someone should be upset after I said the honest truth.
I never liked MAC VS PC threads. People just get angry and I’m not here to pick a fight. I’m very friendly person. :slight_smile:

A MAC is a PC that use same component with a Operations system called OS-X / Unix.

OS-X/UNIX are based and copied originally from LINUX system but are not exactly the same language and program code.

To not go more deeply technically with this; use what you like best and work for your needs. Its not “what” you use its what you “make” (“Music”) that really matters. :wink:

If you love MAC- and it works for you, good for you keep use it.

Best Regards
Freddie

To answer some of you that said more or less “I was full of it”; here is one of example that I am correct earlier.
Samsung Galaxy S4 CAM = 13 megapixel , Screen 1080 x 1920 pixlar

Apple iPhone 5 16 GB CAM = 8 megapixel, Screen 1136 x 640 pixlar

Best Regards
Freddie

I wonder who you wanna be putting up a post like you did? It is posts like that that makes me want to leave this forum for good. It does not add any information at all. Just words put together to cause anger. I also wonder why you want to display yourself as quite dumb? But I guess that is your choice. However displaying it on this forum should not be. This forum is quite unique compared to other forums I attend on other DAWs. Larger and more cunning. Please do not destroy the intention of the forum to help users around the world solving problems and sharing experience.

The initial question in this tread was shared experience on Cubase vs platform. So this is a CUBASE vs Platform tread. Please take your Android admiration elsewhere!

BTW, If you want a better comprehension of “truth” you might find Kahnemans book “Thinking fast and slow” interesting.

The mac is a ferrari, or a BMW or Mercedes. Beautiful design, elegant, versatile, intuitive. Great fit and finish and attention to detail.

While a PC is like a dragster or souped up hotrod that goes faster but only in a straight line, might blow up heading down the dragstrip and has to pushed by people at the end of the strip in order to be turned around and needs a team of mechanics.

(taken from ihateapple.com)

That’s the best mac/PC-car analogy I’ve heard yet!

:smiley:

Oh, please!
Linux is a Unix copycat.
MacOS is a Unix derivate (a real Unix).

A bit of history, courtesy of Wikipedia :slight_smile:

Unix was originally developed in 1969 by a group of AT&T employees at Bell Labs.

OS X is a Unix-like operating system built on technology that had been developed at NeXT through the second half of the 1980s.

Linux began in 1991 with the commencement of a personal project by a Finnish student.

I wouldn’t say “Unix-like”. OS X contains original Unix code licensed from AT&T, which makes it a real Unix.

I know. I was there. My small part on Linux developement was transporting countless crates of Coke from wholesale to students’ club room for Linus’ enormous needs. :stuck_out_tongue:

OSX borrows a lot of parts from FreeBSD. To say it’s purely a Unix derivative is somewhat untrue.