Logic Pro X is out.

Logic Pro X does look nice but there are no real innovations as far as I can see. Most of the new features have been taken from things that Cubase and Digital Performer (the only other DAWs I know) have had for years. I’m not sure if the handling of multi-timbal instruments has improved at all.

If Steinberg would improve the new mixer and use a less crappy font for the Cubase 7 edit windows, I wouldn’t even think of getting the new Logic, but…

BTW I think it’s nonsense to compare the price of Logic to other professional DAWs - Apple can afford to sell it at a loss to force people into buying their hardware. I’m a Mac user but do like having the option of switching to PC.

The Drummer. These events on drum track are midi or audio? They look like audio loops and changing when tweaking ? Easy.

how so? It’s $200 bucks to upgrade to Logic X. It’s $150->$200 to upgrade to Cubase. If you are talking about someone who is at ground zero without a DAW at all, then by that “logic” everyone needs to catch up with the times and buy Reaper.

Apple are not an innovative company. Just copying Cubase. They sue Samsung for copying their ipad then they go and copy Cubase.

Logic is so alien to me… glad I use cubase :slight_smile:

can’t believe that they actually give the drummer track a name " hi im Kyle your drummer " how toyish is that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you factor in the dongles, Cubase is WAY cheaper.

Cubase7 + dongle = $624.98

LogicX + dongle = $2,799.99

This is intended to be retro chic. Kyle is based on Scout the dog from MS Windows 95. :wink:

I would think in the background, this is just MIDI triggering some samples (with accompanying fancy screen re-draws). I could be wrong of course and it could be, oh wait a minute, just like Steinberg’s GrooveAgent 3…! Real audio parts played, with a ‘complexity’ slider, fills, more/less hi-hat/toms etc, and a load of different styles (drummers…!) and kits to choose (mix-n-match)…!

But, they don’t have a percussion agent to go with it… :wink:

Also, no-ones yet pointed out that this is all 64bit ONLY - no more 32bit plugs allowed (no bridging facility). Interesting times…

Difference is… the Logic “dongle” actually serves a purpose.

Having Cubase tied to a cheap piece of plastic easily lost, stolen or damaged always has me looking to a more “portable” alternative. And Logic is getting closer to this vision every iteration…

Gotta love that you can download Logic X on ANY and ALL macs you own. (I hear 3rd-party plug-ins will be next for Mac app store treatment. Goodbye iLok nightmares!!)

Eh, that’s your opinion. :mrgreen:

im sorry steve but we are looking towards the future so why on earth would they want to base an apple mac program for the new beer barrel mac on a windows 95 thing ? (oohhhh hang on could it be because PC rules :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) … slapped wrist !

I do admit that the drummer idea does look good but tacky

Yes g-string. Because PC rules, they have Kyle.

also looks like garageband 2

All that’s missing is the fake wood side panels.

Once again, Logic has used Steinberg as it’s R&D department…with the exception of ignoring the bad work-flow thing for major GUI areas.
It even looks like they spent some time simplifying their menuing as well.

…this is from Gearslutz, User TNM wrote:

"Logic X - just some quick notes:

have timed it finally and the delay when moving audio, drawing a fade, deleting it, etc, whilst playback is happening, before the change is audible, is just over 3 seconds.
WOW.

And i am appalled there is still no gain handle ON audio clips (the inspector is not the same for user friendliness). Furthermore, gain handles are SO handy when you want to do some quick level matching on a track visually before you compress (as clip gain is pre insert)… I don’t get this at all… there is no way to do it in logic, besides using an oscilloscope to see the output of the gain change in realtime… but… now the best oscilloscope, Bram’s sexoscope (sorry but that’s the name), to use for this specific function, won’t work cause it’s only 32 bit. I hope someone has the smarts to make a 32 to 64 bit 3rd party AU bridge, i really do.

Now i am on my last days of Cubase 7 demo, but if it didn’t have the terrible cpu spikes on Mac (yes i am on 7.05 which has supposedly fixed it), i’d make the switch. See, i always said i would wait for logic X and see where apple are taking it. And now after 4 years i know… all they could do is a gui change and bolted on features… THIS IS LOGIC 8 and 9 (and every version from OSX onwards) in a new GUI with a couple features. THAT’S IT.

I will be asking for a refund as this is a bit of a joke to ask $200 for this (not for a first time user, i mean for someone who owns suite 9)… and to top it off i lose waveburner. i love how apple just drop awesome programs with no warning. SO cool of them… NOT ! LOL!
First time i am going to make an official complaint to apple re an app store purchase… i have absolutely no need to have paid money for this… there is nothing wrong with it per se, it’s logic we all know and love, but that’s the thing… it’s the SAME program through and through… besides some gui changes for the worst… do NOT let the new look fool you, there is nothing going on underneath that has been improved… NOTHING.

Whereas with steinberg i feel they are actually committed to Cubase alot more than apple to Logic. The big mistake steinberg made was with asio guard only going to 4x the buffer. If they allowed an asio guard of 1024 on a 64 sample buffer, it would work much better. Now the problem is, i am sitting here on Cubase 7, with a new project with 4 audio tracks and a few plugins, and the asio meter is at like 10%. that’s it. Then out of the blue every so often, it just spikes all the way to the top and let’s out a huge pop in playback… pretty much like a DPC spike on windows… It’s kind of unusable to me as there is no workaround. They said they fixed it in 7.05 but it’s not, well not for me.

Sorry guys but Cubase is a better program.
Well it has really poor timestretch though, but to work with audio, the way you can grab 20 clips and just drag a gain change and see them all change, or, the ultra smooth audio zooming, or in place midi (come on apple, really?), or vst note expression, and just the SPEED of edits, absolute instant response live engine for any edit whatsoever on audio… well… it’s very very good.
If they fix the spikes and add a better TS, i am gone. This is from a 17 year logic user… wow, 17 years!

I can’t think of a single thing logic X does better than Cubase other than better performance, and better quality slicing and flex stretch.(admittedly that one is pretty hugely important)… But i can think of lots cubase does better. It’s very frustrating though that steinberg just can’t get the performance right on mac, and seem uninterested in fixing the crappy time stretch. Oh well. regardless i am really really close now to doing the switch. Kind of excited about it too. Guys this is just how i feel after this release of Logic… I am a huge supporter of the program and all my posts prior to this reflect that, so please don’t flame me… i just expected so much more… I actually have a feeling the team have basically either

1. Lost their “mojo” ie literally don’t know how to improve it
    or:
  2. it was a rushed update… more like a 6 month job than 4 years - which makes sense when so little has changed besides the look… literally barely ANYTHING else.

\

:exclamation:

it’s funny to read opinions on Logic from people who never used it. Try it before…

Cubase is a more complete DAW, no question about it, and that’s way I moved to Cubase. However Logic is a “healthy” software, extremely reliable, without broken functions, with stunning performance, no crashes (never experienced a single crash in years) and it’s also quite cheap. Does it mean nothing to you?

Cubase is really nice but it still has too many issues and quite poor performance. You need to play with the buffer size to avoid glitches and pray that it does not crash in front of a client…

+1 about the single wave image on stereo tracks. In my opinion it is an underwhelming update, they are just trying to catch up with the rest of the DAW’s out there, especially Cubase.

+1
never used logic but i know from friend that is really good as “healthy” program and trusty with low latency with good performance,
sadly for me Asio Guard do nothing noticeable.
but anyway im on PC and i used to cubase and love it in most parts :sunglasses:

After reading the forums, I wont be buying into Logic X. Just wish Steinberg would hurry with up a stable release of 7.

Today I bought Logic X and spent a few hours investigating. There are several completely new additions which I like but nothing much better than C7. More of a catch up game for them. I will say its crashed 6 times today while using their pitch edit…not sure what that’s about. Over all my feeling is that C7 is still ahead of the game…with more to offer in a fully featured DAW.