[Cubase] Guitar recording and Blackstar HT-Dual

Hi Scab Pickens!

Yea, I want to use some of the better plugs for guitar but cant afford it at the moment. So I bought a cheaper one but it was a real dissapointment (Waves CLA Guitars). The sound was nothing close to what I as looking for (it produces an embarrasing sound actually, when it comes to rock sounds). It could be the mics on the guitars I’m using, what do I know, what do I care… I’m not too technical about music!

Thanks for the advice, AmpliTube is surely one of the better choices. Their Orange amp suit sounds nice. But I’ve spent all my money this month on buying the sound card (UR22), a decent microphone, headphones, Cubase, EZDrummer, etc. Need to have money left for food also! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So that’s why I was a bit happy when finding out that my old Blackstar pedal could at least bring something close to what I like in a rock guitar sound. Think ACDC, Thin Lizzy, The Cult, Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, etc. I like the warm, distorted sound that have some sustain but not too much and that has a really nice fat bite (bottom/middle). Getting a nice un-distorted guitar sound is less of a problem imo.

Havent tried mic’ing an amp (I have marshall JVM 210H and Line 6 spider at home) but dont wanna disturb the neighbours too much. Plus the line 6 sounds bad when it goes directly into the sound card (havnt tried the Marshall yet because I lack an “XLR → Phono cable” so it can be connected directly to the sound card). Dont know why the Line 6 sounds so bad when directly connected to the sound card, but it pretty much waters out all the good stuff (the bite) when it goes directly into the sound card and pretty much only leaves some watered out sounding distortion which makes it sound a bit empty and thus I dont get that “rock feel” when playing my rock licks, soloing, etc. The Blackstar kind of kept its integrity so to speak. . But the Line 6 is cheaper than the Blackstar (the Blackstar has a tube in it) so maybe that’s self-explanatory in a way… I’m pretty much against all digitalizing/modelling of guitar rock sounds but when having a home recording studio its a really nice getaway. I wouldnt use any of the stuff when rehearsing with the band/playing live unless it was really good stuff (which probably cost a fortune to get so I shouldn’t bother anyway).

In the months to come I guess I will buy Guitar Rig. Seems bring a little more diversity than AmpliTube and I tried Guitar Rig about 5 years ago and really liked it back then, may have another look on AmpliTube before I buy it…

/cheers!