Logic Pro X is out.

I’ve had time to have a play with Logic X now. While it sucks in some areas (eg. multi out instruments) I’d take its GUI over Cubase 7 any day. VERY clear and easy on the eye. Pristine fonts and a mixer that doesn’t randomly screw up. Gonna stick with it for a while here.

Yes, it looks much better than Cubase. And it’s great that Apple has focused on streamlining the workflow. It’s much better than L9 and earlier. This was much more needed than throwing in a bunch of half finished bells and whistles features. The competition has spend years catching up with Logic in so many areas. Where Logic never had the edge was ease of use. That has changed now. Smart move.

Why do toy think multi out instrument implementation sucks?

Yeah sadly… after messing around in Logic X I tried to recreate its color scheme in Cubase 7. Close but no dice. :mrgreen:

I have Logic Pro X, Steinberg has nothing to worry about…
Cubase and the new HALion 5 just rocks . Also there is no
upgrade price for logic you buy full price, next version comes out, you
buy full price again…
its a download and install no installation files to keep, in case you need to redo
install its back to downloading again…
logic’s content is thin sounding. it mixer’s faders are not that good as cubase.
there not very tight and sensitive…
for me its always been Cubase, I have tried others :smiley:

I think that you can’t really compare on this point.
For a mac user Logic is 179 euros for a complete bundle : the DAW come with some good plugins and instruments, ESX24 is a good product too, drummer works just fine (have you try it ?).
Logic is better on CPU usage on mac too.

Cubase is really more professional on many points, I work mainly with it, but Cubase price is 600 euros, and if you add HaLion for 250 euros it’s a more expansive product.

yes but has already been pointed out, you have to buy a $2500 dongle to use it.

If Steinberg or Avid etc had to survive selling it’s premium product for 179 euros there’d be no more r and d and they’d be out of business in a few years. The whole cheap/free iOS app world could be very damaging to software developers in the long run. Apple don’t care because they take 30% of the top of every app store purchase hence them moving towards everything going through the App store.

Imagine you’re a plugin developer and you can only sell your new plugin through the app store, you loose 30% off the top straight away to Apple. The Apps store only method of delivery is moving things in a dangerous direction.

MC

again with this rubbish…

Do you really think that people buy a mac just because of Logic?

I bought a $799 Mac mini (i7 2.3 GHz, quad core) and I payed $100 to buy 16 GB of ram. So, at the end it costed to me $899, including the OS…Is it that more expensive than a PC? What about the cost of Windows?

In addition I also bought 2 SSD which I would buy anyway also with a PC. With my setup Cubase (and everything else) runs flawlessly…

not exactly a full sized computer thou is it for that amount of buck

You won’t make change my opinion about mac, my first job is in graphic design and I’m a mac user since 1990. :wink:
Never had (big) problem with one of my computer since this time.

About pricing let see another point of view :
I think that Apple sell Logic for 179 euros because there are the challenger actually.
It’s the same in graphic design, a few year ago Quark Xpress was expansive and Adobe Creative Suite was cheap. Now Adobe is the leader their products are quite expansive.

In my case, if LogicX was more expansive I don’t have bought it.
I thing that hobbyists that have a mac computer will go to Logic if they want something more powerful than garage band for recording mixing projects.
Just a marketing decision, the lower is the price more you sell software, and less piracy it is.
Apple don’t need logic sells to survive, that just they want to be present on the DAW software market to have a product for their customers.

The sell policy on apps store is another problem, I agree with you for this.

Haha me too! :smiley:

Damn. I need this workflow in Cubase 7:

Everything on hand. No floating windows, closing when click on any other place. Logic is fast. Maybe they’ll do it for PC again ? ProTools did.

I find that it’s impossible to get automation nodes to show up on a dark background in Cubase because the nodes are always black.

You mean that One-Window-Handling in Logic? I hate it. Because I use 3 TFT´s. Love the workflow in Cubendo.
In Cubase you´re also very fast - or faster - with the use of own shortcuts, e.g.

i agree – shortcuts, macros (although buggy in cubendo), workspaces… it’s where the speed is at. if you’re content sticking to logic’s implementation it’s great, but once you want to start customizing you’re in trouble.

Me too +1

MC

To use Logic X you need to have purchased an expensive Mac fairly recently(only works with 10.8.4). And thats just to open it, say nothing of using it for large projects. Last time I checked Steinberg didnt make or sell computers.

+1

And you`re not?
To use PCIe cards(which a lot of us audio pros are) on the new Mac “Pro” you need to buy expensive add ons to an already expensive computer, and thats right? Or maybe I should sell my perfectly good SSL PCIe card and converter at a huge loss to buy myself something more Mac “Pro” friendly? Seems right to you maybe, but not to me.
And only 4 USB slots? Pro? Come on!

++1 :unamused:

Or maybe build a custom mac?

Thats what i run, Win 8 and OSX on the same pc.

I’ve got nothing against windows, but there’s nothing wrong with a mac either.

Think outside the box, build your own machine if you want a “mac”, don’t build one if not, make some music.

Cubase lacks stuff, logic lacks stuff. I prefer Cubase, but still, no daw is perfect. I’m curious as to why cubase still lacks an easy way to do Bounce in place, where is clip automation as in FL or Live?

I wonder at times if the makers of these DAWs out there are just stubborn and refuse to use features that their competition already have implemented. I think cubase would attract more users with automation clips and B-inplace. It’s the most complete daw out there.