MIDI Thru -- weird "all or nothing" behavior - bugs?

I hate to bump this again – and understand that a response such as “we can’t reproduce that” is fine! …but if you can’t hook up a keyboard and have it send messages on a different channel than is coming in, your live input is stuck forever on one channel. If you change the MIDI channel of a background synth or an external device, you have no way to hear it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Use any external keyboard (Akai LPK25, Novation SL connected via Alesis I/O dock, etc etc etc). If it has the ability to send on different MIDI channels, make sure it is transmitting on Channel 1.
  2. Instantiate any CoreMIDI synth in the background that can receive on different MIDI channels (for example Waldorf Nave, Magellan, etc) or hook up an external hardware synth connected to a physical MIDI connector. On the synth itself, set it to respond to MIDI channel 2!
  3. Create a MIDI track in Cubasis (disable any Microsonic instrument by choosing “no instrument”)
  4. On the MIDI Connections section of the Inspector, enable the input port of your external keyboard. Leave the channel set to “All”
  5. For the MIDI output port, select the port that is connected to your CoreMIDI synth running in the background, or the physical MIDI output port connected to your external hardware synth. For the output channel, select MIDI channel 2 (important!)
  6. Enable MIDI Thru.

What should happen is that when you play on your MIDI controller, Cubasis should take the MIDI messages arriving at the input port on channel 1, and re-channelize them so that they get converted to the MIDI channel you chose in the output port, i.e. channel 2. But, it doesn’t happen (at least not for me).

The virtual on-screen keyboard in Cubasis does do it correctly, it’s just external keyboards that don’t work. Also, recorded MIDI messages played back on a track are working correctly. It’s something related to the MIDI Thru behavior.

I’m getting desperate here…alternatively, is there any other way to address external sources on different MIDI channels? :neutral_face: