Logic Pro X is out.

Amen +++100

WOW! Long thread. But positive for Cubase.

Seems very little discussion about ‘sound’ tho’.

Mainly the posts are about:
1-Price
2-Looks

To my eyes, Cubase looks better but ‘looks’ are not
something that concerns me very much.

For me it is all about the sound.

IMHO
Today all major DAW apps sound fine.
So far I still prefer working in Cubase but time will tell.

{‘-’}

After having spent the last three days working with Logic X (I used Logic 7-9 extensively before Cubase and Nuendo), I have a few observations.

The bad

• VEP multiport doesn’t work well at all in Logic X. First, the layer does not import correctly, so you have to redo the cables in the environment. It seems to work ok as long as you keep each port to one channel, but for me was buggy beyond that. I did have it working for a short while, then it started having issues again sending more than one midi channel per port…

• Had to trash Logic 9 preferences, as X crashed constantly on first launch. Not a big deal, but Apple should have some kind of warning…

• Still needs some bugs worked out overall, seems like apple really didn’t beta test as thoroughly as they should have. Environment is buggy (dragging and moving objects, etc.)

The good

• Logic X workspace is very nice, mixer is well organized for the most part. Looks clean.
  • Drummer. Although it looks absolutely idiotic, is quite well done and sounds great. Really quite an amazing tool and completely unexpected.
  • Performance is very good. Low latency mode is great, midi latency is low even with higher buffers (I work @ 96k).
  • Instruments are much better than LP9, there are a ton of useful plugins and instruments. Very well done.
  • Price is a no brainer.
  • Both Steinberg and Logic have excellent apps for IOS, although the Logic app is on another level.

Conclusions

I ended up giving up on testing Logic any more for now due to the bugs and problems with VEP multiport, etc. along with a few other things that reminded me why I moved from away from Logic in the first place. I do have a couple of thoughts in comparison with Cubendo though.

First, Steinberg really needs to get moving on releasing Groove Agent 4 as a counter to Drummer. This IMO surprisingly is the biggest draw in the Logic X update, and Steinberg really needs a response to that. GA3 is no longer available, so they don’t have anything comparable.

Second, Steinberg needs to really focus on improving performance under OSX. It’s just not as good as Logic, and that’s an issue. CPU spikes, higher latency, etc. are still a problem. I think they also need to improve the appearance or at least allow better customization of the new mixer.

I don’t think price is really a fair comparison. Steinberg will never be able to compete with Apple’s pricing. It will likely mean though that anyone doing music on OSX will eventually purchase Logic. Steinberg will need to ensure that they don’t lose their share of the market when that happens.

For me, the workflow in Cubase/Nuendo is much better than Logic for the way I work and it has superior editing etc., I’d just love to see GA4 released soon, and Cubendo performance vastly improved under OSX.

Just my observations and opinion, take it for what it’s worth…

Agree, on all counts.

I’ve put 4 or 5 days getting into the nitty gritty of Logic X. As has happened in the past, I miss so many functions that I take for granted in Cubase. I think I wasted my time and eagerly look forward to a stable Cubase 7. The main draw to Logic was its GUI. It looks fantastic and the mixer is really great. I especially the way its new folder structure works: if you collapse a folder on the arrange page, the mixer channels collapse as well. Very neat and tidy. Of course the fonts are pin sharp, unlike Cubase 7 which are fuzzy.

Agreed. Also there seems to be some issues with the video handling, which is now using the Quicktime X engine, not the older QT 7 engine (try to load an old Sorenson encoded movie - won’t load). Users with one monitor seem to be unaffected. Add a second monitor and you start to get a lag when hitting play, intermittently. Add a third monitor and it gets really bad.

It does boot really fast, but is still slow to load if you have a lot of EXS libraries (I don’t use them at all).

I’m a long time Cubase/Nuendo and Logic user. IMAO, if Logic X had gain handles, and Cubendo had “vari speed”, they would both be near perfect.

Hi all MAC people! :slight_smile:

Mac users with all your spikes, glitch, blurry graphic, odd graphic and mixer view that doesn’t work with Cubase 7 on OSX.

Can you please do us all a favor and do a “boot camp” and tell us all who perform and overall work best on what OS?
Logic on OSX, Core Audio VS Cubase 7 x64 ASIO 2 under Windows 7 x64 / Windows 8 x64?

I love to hear the results. :wink:

I’m just saying the medicine is-----> PC with Windows 7 x64 / Windows 8 x64 and Cubase 7 x64.

Best Regards
Freddie

Aloha F,
I have a buddy that uses the same exact rig as mine (see sig)
but runs Cubase using Boot Camp protocols.

IMHO
Cubase is ‘zipper’ in that environment.

{‘-’}

Hi Freddie,

There’s no doubt in my mind now that Cubase runs better on a PC, so the choice for Mac users as I see it is:-

1. carry on using Cubase on OS X but put up with the performance and display issues

2. switch to using a PC, or

3. switch to a DAW like Logic or Digital Performer that works properly with OS X

Bootcamp is sort of an option but an incredible pain to use.

I’m ploughing on with option 1) at the moment but am not sure for how long if things don’t improve. If they don’t I think I’m more likely to go with 3) than 2)

Hi there! :slight_smile:

I can understand and feel the pain. I saw a screenshot of it and If I had so blurry graphic in Cubase all day long it would drive me nuts too for sure.
I hope Steinberg address this issue on OSX very soon. If you going to use boot camp you can easily switch to PC-Windows right of way.

I know many of you don’t like Windows and have had bad experience with it. I have friends that only use Mac that couldn’t consider switch back to Windows anymore. It all fine by me. Use what works best for you! :slight_smile:

Personal I like to have the freedom to build my own PC-Windows DAW computer from specific hardware components I choose.
(even though you can build a OSX system yourself with specific hardware too.)

Anyway thanks all for the feedback!

Best Regards
Freddie

I wish Steiny would separate this forum into Mac and PC user forums. I’m not interested in the Mac user’s tiny steps towards PC performance and stability. The post count would be 30% less without the Mac users bleating and “hooraying” as they head towards their impossible goal. :imp:

Ain’t gonna happen.

Re: New Mac forum
by Ed Doll » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:17 am
-1 >

Hope does however spring eternal.

{‘-’}

Well after trying logic X out for a bit I realize how much I love cubase. There’s nothing there that makes me want to switch. Workflow in logic is nowhere near as smooth as cubase, for me at least, and i actually like the work spaces in cubase on my 2 27" monitors rather than the docking windows in logic. There’s obviously a few things in c7 that needs tweaking but it’s by far the best of all the daws I’ve used. All that being said, hurry up with 7.06!

It’s not either/or. Logic has Window sets, its version of Workspaces.

I imagine one would have a bias toward the DAW they know, until they use the other long enough to be really comfortable. But who has time for that?

They all copy each other. Some of the things that I enjoy about C7, it took on from Logic and Samplitude (I’ve owned and used all of the above).

All are great products. BTW, I go to winter NAMM every year, and Apple is nowhere to be seen. Why? Because 90% of the booths or more use logic to demo their wares. About the only booths that don’t are Pro Tools, Steinberg, Presonus, MOTU… you get the picture… those with their own DAWs.

Melodyne booth: Logic
IK: Logic
NI: Logic
UAD: Logic + PT
(Continue the list).

Not to mention the thousands of MacBook Pros, iPADS, and iPhones that are everywhere at the show.

Apple doesn’t need to show up there. :slight_smile:

:laughing: End of thread.

I suggested this to Steinberg years ago, and with the release of C7, which now has the underlying functionality in the mixers that would support it.

Unfortunately, NOBODY amongst the community or Steinberg responded either time. I think many had difficulty in seeing how it could possible improve workflow, but now the Logic team have thought it useful enough. Now if some Logic users start liking that functionality, it will be interesting to see if Cubase suddenly appears with it soon.

Judging by some of the responses to the new C7 mixers, C users seem to be fairly conservative. I have three Dell S3460T touchscreens under Win 8 (two in front of my Dell 30"s and one in the studio, each with a custom-configured mixer full-screen on them), and the new mixers have been liberating, though I have suggested that they have more drag-and-drop configurability, like being able to snap in video and touch-friendly transport and scrub controls.

Touch is the only way to simply have configurable interfaces that are immediate (don’t need a mouse, which would be very inconvenient in the studio). Control surfaces are just so restrictive, and so tedious to setup for anything except blocks of channels.

I think your going to cause a riot with these ridiculous comments . :unamused: :unamused: .
If you want perfect integration with touch screen and DAW I really hope logic implement it fully so you can move over to that platform and leave Cubase how it should be …Hardware controlling .

:laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

Keep in mind a factor with this is that Cubase is developed and supported on 2 platforms (not just Mac like Logic). There is a cost associated with maintaining both platforms.

The hackintosh community would argue against this assertion. :smiley: