eLicenser - Poor Quality?

Gaffers tape here!

Leaving just enough surface area to see the lil L.E.D.

I use mine ‘live’ very weekend.
Been thru several since C5.

But the newer ones are much better made
(and smaller) than the first one.

{‘-’}

Aloha guys,

IMHO
this is an important topic so I posted about this subject in the
‘Feature Requests and Suggestions’ forum.

Perhaps in the future Steiny will sell us something of better quality.
You know. That ‘German’ thang!
{‘-’}

After having my original USB-eLicenser start cracking around the metal insertion tab (using it with a laptop at that time), I super glued it and wrapped it in electrical tape.

My current desktop USB-eLicenser is tucked safely away inside my PC case …

For a “permanent” installation this is the way to go. Not much of a solution for mobile users, I know.

The duct tape job on this one is a preventative measure. It’s in perfect condition and I plan to keep it that way.

I think the USB-eLicenser is definitely more fragile than most common USB flash drives.

For a Cheaper safer installation instead of an extra Card / PCI / PCI X slot being used , used a USB extension inside the PC , those 2 headed ones u get that fits on to the back plate slot , it plugs on to the on board USB jumpers , all M/board have 2 or 3 of these extra USB jumper pins , taped on the Cabinet base inside , works fine so far … sm

I just went ahead & bought an extra eLicenser when I bought Cubase 7. Figured I’d eventually need it, moving back & forth between a laptop & desktop.

wow , i didnt know that u can use the 2 same versions one cubase , installed @ 2 different places , with 2 dongles , with the same licence , @ the same time … is that possible ?? any one ?? sm

No, a license can be on only 1 dongle at a time. If you want that you have to buy 2 licenses and 2 dongles.
But you can of course move your dongle from 1 pc to the next and use Cubase on both, just not at the same time.

thanks though so …sm

We have released three different versions of the USB-eLicenser case over the years and the current incarnationis pretty solid (and shorter than the first one). So any replacement you buy for old USB-eLicensers that came with Nuendo 2 or Cubase SX 3 should be an improvement.

I got mine about 7 months ago… isn’t “very solid” my cheap 8gb Imation Usb is more robust I say.

Why did you buy Steinberg software if you knew the dongle was not to your taste ?
After all you seem to complain about it a lot :wink:

I think that ilok 2 is much more robust, but at the same time, elicenser software is more stable than ilok license manager (or the former web browser system).

My Steinberg key is ok at the moment, but it seems more fragile than my ilok 1 and 2.

I payed for the software I liked CUBASE… not the dongle… I always enter in arguments with other people that trash Cubase over Profuls and so. I’m “almost” a Cubase fan boy, but when something is bad, is bad, period.

or Are you implying that will be better use a cracked version? :confused:

No im not implying you should try before you buy im asking a the question , why buy a software and then continually moan about it’s security system when you knew before you bought the software that that is how it works ???

Oh, I do have a little problem with the “use a USB for your licence”, but is just that, a little problem, but I do have BIG problem with the fragile material and construction of the dongle.

If the elicencer is need for steinberg, ok, I will use it, but please, If I will pay 50 bucks for it at least give me something string that can handle hard work. The actual elicencer isn’t a solid device, is a fragile one. I have a problem with THAT.

Cheers!

Good news.

According to the following interview (late May 2016), regarding the current half-sized model of eLicenser, MIDIFAN was informed by Steinberg that they are planning to use metal in lieu of plastic to improve the endurance of its incarnation.

http://www.midifan.com/modulearticle-detailview-5383.htm

Same here. Nuendo 3 and sx1 dongles. No problems. One of them used to travel with me all the time doing location recording. I guess I’m lucky too!

I’d be into a metal version, my two keys have seen better days… sounds promising.

Hi,

It’s all in Chinese?!

Ta,

Paul

Hi,

Here is one I started a while back:

Ta,

Paul