Logic Pro X is out.

Aloha F,
I have a buddy that uses the same exact rig as mine (see sig)
but runs Cubase using Boot Camp protocols.

IMHO
Cubase is ‘zipper’ in that environment.

{‘-’}

Hi Freddie,

There’s no doubt in my mind now that Cubase runs better on a PC, so the choice for Mac users as I see it is:-

1. carry on using Cubase on OS X but put up with the performance and display issues

2. switch to using a PC, or

3. switch to a DAW like Logic or Digital Performer that works properly with OS X

Bootcamp is sort of an option but an incredible pain to use.

I’m ploughing on with option 1) at the moment but am not sure for how long if things don’t improve. If they don’t I think I’m more likely to go with 3) than 2)

Hi there! :slight_smile:

I can understand and feel the pain. I saw a screenshot of it and If I had so blurry graphic in Cubase all day long it would drive me nuts too for sure.
I hope Steinberg address this issue on OSX very soon. If you going to use boot camp you can easily switch to PC-Windows right of way.

I know many of you don’t like Windows and have had bad experience with it. I have friends that only use Mac that couldn’t consider switch back to Windows anymore. It all fine by me. Use what works best for you! :slight_smile:

Personal I like to have the freedom to build my own PC-Windows DAW computer from specific hardware components I choose.
(even though you can build a OSX system yourself with specific hardware too.)

Anyway thanks all for the feedback!

Best Regards
Freddie

I wish Steiny would separate this forum into Mac and PC user forums. I’m not interested in the Mac user’s tiny steps towards PC performance and stability. The post count would be 30% less without the Mac users bleating and “hooraying” as they head towards their impossible goal. :imp:

Ain’t gonna happen.

Re: New Mac forum
by Ed Doll » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:17 am
-1 >

Hope does however spring eternal.

{‘-’}

Well after trying logic X out for a bit I realize how much I love cubase. There’s nothing there that makes me want to switch. Workflow in logic is nowhere near as smooth as cubase, for me at least, and i actually like the work spaces in cubase on my 2 27" monitors rather than the docking windows in logic. There’s obviously a few things in c7 that needs tweaking but it’s by far the best of all the daws I’ve used. All that being said, hurry up with 7.06!

It’s not either/or. Logic has Window sets, its version of Workspaces.

I imagine one would have a bias toward the DAW they know, until they use the other long enough to be really comfortable. But who has time for that?

They all copy each other. Some of the things that I enjoy about C7, it took on from Logic and Samplitude (I’ve owned and used all of the above).

All are great products. BTW, I go to winter NAMM every year, and Apple is nowhere to be seen. Why? Because 90% of the booths or more use logic to demo their wares. About the only booths that don’t are Pro Tools, Steinberg, Presonus, MOTU… you get the picture… those with their own DAWs.

Melodyne booth: Logic
IK: Logic
NI: Logic
UAD: Logic + PT
(Continue the list).

Not to mention the thousands of MacBook Pros, iPADS, and iPhones that are everywhere at the show.

Apple doesn’t need to show up there. :slight_smile:

:laughing: End of thread.

I suggested this to Steinberg years ago, and with the release of C7, which now has the underlying functionality in the mixers that would support it.

Unfortunately, NOBODY amongst the community or Steinberg responded either time. I think many had difficulty in seeing how it could possible improve workflow, but now the Logic team have thought it useful enough. Now if some Logic users start liking that functionality, it will be interesting to see if Cubase suddenly appears with it soon.

Judging by some of the responses to the new C7 mixers, C users seem to be fairly conservative. I have three Dell S3460T touchscreens under Win 8 (two in front of my Dell 30"s and one in the studio, each with a custom-configured mixer full-screen on them), and the new mixers have been liberating, though I have suggested that they have more drag-and-drop configurability, like being able to snap in video and touch-friendly transport and scrub controls.

Touch is the only way to simply have configurable interfaces that are immediate (don’t need a mouse, which would be very inconvenient in the studio). Control surfaces are just so restrictive, and so tedious to setup for anything except blocks of channels.

I think your going to cause a riot with these ridiculous comments . :unamused: :unamused: .
If you want perfect integration with touch screen and DAW I really hope logic implement it fully so you can move over to that platform and leave Cubase how it should be …Hardware controlling .

:laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

Keep in mind a factor with this is that Cubase is developed and supported on 2 platforms (not just Mac like Logic). There is a cost associated with maintaining both platforms.

The hackintosh community would argue against this assertion. :smiley:

Scoring notation features world class?
{‘-’}

Logic X performs fine on Mac Pro’s from 2009 on. The reason for that is that Apple did not refresh their Mac Pro lineup significantly for about 5 years.

I’m sick of hearing about how much better Cubase/Nuendo are on Windows. Even if it performs better, I would not want to deal with the constant stream of Windows updates, the absolute necessity to maintain anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-malware software, and the hideous Windows 8.x interface. All of which I, unfortunately, have a lot of experience with, because it’s part of my job to keep my Windows users running - none of whom are musicians BTW. All of the many composers I work with use Macs.

I love Nuendo. It is stable and powerful - on my Mac Pro. However, it is 6 times as expensive as Logic X, and doesn’t include as much additional content. And it is 3 times as expensive as Cubase. Does Nuendo really offer 3 times more features than Cubase? Steinberg should combine them into one product, IMAO.

The price is not an issue for pro’s making a living at music - they will buy what they want and need, and can justify the expense. But there’s no doubt that this price competition will reshape the market. In a good or bad way? I don’t know.

@jweisbin
I’d suggest these days, the necessity to maintain anti-virus/spyware/malware is a requisite everyone should be vigilant of, no matter what OS you are running - either via 3rd party auto-update tools (Norton etc) or through the OS tools (Microsoft or Apple’s own). And lets be fair, there have been many reports of ‘hacks’ and virus attacks targeted at the MAC platform too.

If its a network you are running in a professional environment, then any such malware shouldn’t IMHO be getting anywhere near the workstations in the first place. Keeping server-side rules in place/up to date is key (with a ‘restricted access’ policy to employees/students - less headache for the Net Admin :wink:).

As to the Win 8.1 interface, you may or may not be aware you can quickly switch in to a ‘classic’ (more familiar…?) Windows GUI experience with the new OS, should you wish.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,
Bob

It’s the in thing on portable devices for energy savings. There may be some relation to that?

Cubase covers a lot of functionality, as shown by its winning the highest functionality score in Digital Music Doctor’s DAW shootout several years in a row.

That Cubase covered so much was why we went for it 12 years ago. We were just starting and didn’t want to have to jump DAW ship if we started needing functions we hadn’t bought from the very start.

So far, we haven’t used all facilities, but who knows what the future holds!

If Cubase was meant to be ‘hardware controlling’, it would have been made to mandate it.

Oh, and touch devices ARE hardware!

I did not say ‘perfect’. I said ‘simply’, which are two quite different levels of applicability.

It is a violation of the licence to run Apple OSs and Apple OSX apps on anything but Apple hardware. Therefore the relative costs argument is relevant for those who want to operate according to the licenses purchased.

Of course, the argument is actually flawed, because Cubase does have a secondary dongle: the computer that you have to buy to run it on, just like you have to have a Mac for Logic. And for those who already have their respective computers, then Cubase is the more expensive option.

In the end, it comes down to what you want to get your head around and how much you want to pay vs how much time you want to put into it. Those three things make the issue of raw costs seem almost trivially simple.

It does not matter whether you are using your stuff professionally or as a hobbyist (and people do spend fortunes and lots of time on their hobbies), use what you can understand easily enough and that works for you effectively. It does not matter if someone else can do what you do with your stuff more cheaply with theirs, because you can work well with yours, and not theirs.

However, if one prefers Cubase to Logic, then is there really a choice, no matter the price difference (as long as it is not $Ks)? To me, something cheaper or free that I don’t really want to use is not a choice.

I think some are trying to use Logic’s price to try to leverage SB into lowering their prices. Don’t bother, SB has been dropping the price of Cubase over the years as a normal part of increasing competition and economies of scale, but it will never be free (at least not for the flagship version) as it must make money in its own right.