Super CC121?

I’m not so sure about that. Look at the MR816 Audio interface. It highly integrated with Cubase/Nuendo, but still as usable by any other DAW as any third-party interface.

Yes it can today, but how about in two, three or four years time? As I’ve said, Euphonics is owned, today, by Avid, who also owns Digidesign. A company that has spend decades building completely closed systems. Their audio interfaces and control surfaces could only be used with Pro Tool, and Pro Tools could only be used with Digidesign interfaces. They even have their own proprietary plug-in formats.

Speaking of plug-in formats. I think there are clear signs that we are moving towards more closed systems. Just look at the 3 heavy-weight (on the Mac) DAW manufacturers:
Steinberg is VST only
Apple Logic is AU only
ProTools is RTAS only (well they have their new AAX, which is also a proprietary format)

Therefore, it is not unlikely that Avid will drop support for other DAWs sometime in the future. There interest in updating the Eucon software to new versions of other DAWs leaves a lot to be desired, even today

I am sure that Yamaha/Steinberg could come up with something amazing that could still be of great use to other DAWs aswell. At least, judging from how they designed the MR816.