Cubase and 4K monitors?

Nope, Nvidia does not support it in software but AMD/ATI and some Matrox cards with dual outputs allow output combining, so we can use fairly cheap cards to drive 4K screens, we have been using them with IBM T221 and DVI adapters for that purpose for years.

Generically, the limitation with current 4K TVs is exactly about the input rate, not about the display rate after that.

The quality of up-conversion is the next issue with the likes of the Seikis, compared to the major brands that are charging 4-5 times as much. As I have said, if the Seikis will at least work as reasonable monitors for Cubase and general computing (but not necessarily TVs or video editing)

Sorry, what do you mean by ‘output combining’ as it relates to current and future 4K TVs?

When I said about multiple video cards, I was referring to CrossfireX (AMD) and SLI (NVidia) links to combine the GPU power to go out one high bandwidth video port, like DisplayPort or DL-DVI. Most of the power is about getting high framerates for gaming/video, because only one card will handle Cubase non-video stuff at 4K.

I have been eyeing that very monitor and also considering getting 2- 2560x1080 Ultra-wide monitors Stacked

The one thing that I noticed in the reviews for the 4k Monitor is the 30hz rate gives noticeable lag on the mouse.
The reviewer said while it’s noticeable, you can get used to it…sigh… I think I’ll wait til at least 60hz to jump onto my 4k or just go w/an Ultra-wide stacked setup :slight_smile:

I thought that was mitigated when the vertical sync lock was disabled? One user mentioned it in relation to using an Xbox controller.

I didn’t see the review you are referring to.

I was speaking of a review on YT where they reviewed the SEIKI as a monitor @4K (runs @30hz) & @ 1920x1080.
and the reviewer noted the mouse lag @30hz

Hi. Do you know what cable is better for me ? I have a Dell U2713H (2560x1440). When working with tracks/mixer in Cubase its no problem with ghosting, but when watching video it is a problem. I’m using DVI-D cable. Is Display Port or HDMI will better for ghosting ? What is best cable for it ?

I would love to see what the Mix Console looks like on a 4k display :open_mouth:

The 50" Seiki is working great as a main display for Cubase. I use it for the project and midi windows, the mixer is off to the side on another monitor. I have not noticed any lag due to the monitor, but still experience Cubase-related slowdowns (the same as on a Dell 30") when working on longer (~2 hours), larger projects. No issues driving the Seiki, the Dell and 2x 24" off a single GTX 670, but have not tried PC gaming on the screen (it works well enough for PS3 gaming though - 1080P@60hz).

Just curious, if you put the mix console full screen on the 50" 4k display can you see everything (ALL rack elements including every strip device fully extended) all at once?

I remember the Atari mono monitor :nerd:

Awkward with those? :unamused: :laughing: If you don’t want them, you could donate them to me :open_mouth:

Excellent info!

Are you running the 50" at full res (3840x2160) @30hz over HDMI?
From my understanding HDMI 2.o will support 60hz w/4k but the current HDMI standard doesn’t and hence the 30hz.

Also, how does the text look!?? No sense in going 4k if I can’t read what’s on my trax…lol

ftr, This Seiki does support 120hz at 1080p… very tempting and wondering if a firmware upgrade would be feasible when HDMI 2.o the standard comes through…

Just curious, if you put the mix console full screen on the 50" 4k display can you see everything (ALL rack elements including every strip device fully extended) all at once?

I haven’t tried, but will give it a next time I’ve got Cubase open.

Are you running the 50" at full res (3840x2160) @30hz over HDMI?
From my understanding HDMI 2.o will support 60hz w/4k but the current HDMI standard doesn’t and hence the 30hz.

Yes, running at 3840x2160 at 30hz.

Also, how does the text look!?? No sense in going 4k if I can’t read what’s on my trax…lol

Crystal clear. I’ll try a screen grab later.

ftr, This Seiki does support 120hz at 1080p… very tempting and wondering if a firmware upgrade would be feasible when HDMI 2.o the standard comes through…

From what I’ve read, it doesn’t sound like it will be upgradeable. But, for the trade-off in size/resolution/price vs. other monitors, I can live with 30hz.

A 50" is like 4 Full HD 25" screens, so the pixels will be 4% larger than on a 24" screen.

A 50" at monitor distances is NOT retina. A 32" like the ASUS or Sharp 4Ks is getting a bit closer to retina.

Thanks for all the input gents…
A screen grab would be awesome! :nerd:

Ok, here’s a couple images.

One is the mixer channel (and at the default width, 36 channels fit across the screen).

Another is from the project window, just illustrating font clarity, etc.

The final image, is just the full screen (on an empty project).

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Very impressive! Thanks for posting the images :slight_smile:

I have a 27" top spec 2012 iMac and of course i’m running in 2560x1440.
I find text of something like Kontakt is hard to read it’s so small. Cubase is generally ok but imaging that on a 4k res is going to be silly.

Awesome…and definitely huge! lol
Is there a way that you can grab a pic with of the actual set with Cubase open… it will give us a sense of scale :wink:

Definitely appreciate the grabs!! :nerd:

I am enjoying reading this. It is quite over my head technically but I still surprisingly comprehend quite a bit. Read several reviews on this TV and have a question.

Which video cards are you thinking would perform best driving this type of monitor?

I am using an AMD 6700 Radeon HD series card for my 3 dell 22" monitors and have 1 using dvi from the card and 1 hdmi from the card. The third is dvi from the motherboard . All works well but you guys are describing something seemingly superior for the very near future.

Well, scratch that idea… I did a bit more reading on this and it might appear the near future cost-wise is 2-3 years down the road. The 60 fps reality took something like 4 super cards powered with 2 - 1500W power supplies

Very cool stuff however. I love it