Important info for all Windows 7 and 8 users with Cubase 7!

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: Important info for all Windows 7 and 8 users with Cubase 7!

Postby artguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:06 am

Bredo wrote:Just curious. What are your settings within Cubase?

I don't know which settings you are referring to. Sorry :?
artguy

Postby artguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:33 am

I can see the setting in VST Audio System but it was never activated when I first installed Cubase 7, and nor after deleting preferences or at any time when I have changed other settings on this page or any other in Device Setup.
artguy

Postby artguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks Bredo I never knew.

It seems from what Freddie H. has been saying that you can create a power profile, edit it and switch it on or off as necessary, so maybe it's a worthwhile feature.
artguy

Postby Freddie H » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Bredo wrote:
artguy wrote:Thanks Bredo I never knew.

It seems from what Freddie H. has been saying that you can create a power profile, edit it and switch it on or off as necessary, so maybe it's a worthwhile feature.

For a DAW you should definitively make your own power plan (within windows - don't bother the Steinberg one).
Turn off every power saving option for your "DAW Power Plan" (I saved mine as DAW ;-)).
You should also look into turning off Core Parking (turn off C-states and Intel Speed-step in the BIOS).
You want all Cores "up and running" at all times when working with your DAW (green IT is for your company's system administrator ;-))
To turn off Core Parking I'm using a .reg file btw (but you better know what you're doing using this mehod ;-)).

+1 Agree

Here some guidelines / tips that I recently added. Anyone, feel free to check them out. :)

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=44881#p272004

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H

Postby matjones » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 am

Jeff Hayat wrote:
papi61 wrote:Wouldn't it be much simpler to simply NOT ENABLE the "Steinberg power plan " in the first place?

Yes. That is really all you need to do.

Yep!

When this was first introduced i tried it and rapidly 'untried' it.... caused a whole bunch of issues from what i remember.... as stated just make sure all power saving options are off.... i do remember it putting my audio drive into sleep mode after stepping away from my DAW and upon hitting play on return it blue-screened!!!! :roll:
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Re: Important info for all Windows 7 and 8 users with Cubase

Postby AAMedia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 pm

On my system it looks like the Steinberg Audio plan is almost the same as the high performance plan, but some people have said it's like the balanced plan. On my system, it doesn't turn off any drives, not the monitor, nothing. In fact, while I don't know how this is supposed to work, perhaps it sets itself depending on how your system is set. That's the only thing I can guess. It would be nice if Steinberg could step in and explain this. The knowledge base is totally useless as it's so difficult to navigate the results. I just give up.

It does seem to be causing problems on my system since the 7.5 update as I'm now getting BSOD crashes that only appear when using this power plan. Again, this may be dependent on your system. My overall conclusion, and I'm definitely not an IT guy, is to turn it off.

As for not seeing it under your plan options, you only see it if you enable it within Cubase. If disabled, you won't have it as an option in the control panel.
PC - Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge E (6 core) @ 4.5 GHz (overclocked), 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Cubase 7.5 64 bit, Steinberg UR28M, Focusrite VRM Box (monitor speaker emulation)
AAMedia

Re: Important info for all Windows 7 and 8 users with Cubase

Postby thermionic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Using the DPC latency checker, the latency seems to reduce when the Steinberg Power Plan is on. I've never had a problem using this (W7 64-bit) but Windows reverts to power saving mode on reboot - which I find annoying. :evil:

I too would like to know what's going on under the bonnet, or 'hood' as our American cousins would say, when the Steinberg Power Plan is turned on. ;)
thermionic

Previous

Return to General