VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Hi Musicullum;

Thanks for checking the logs and for your feedback. Interesting.

Here is how a typical session attempt would work on my end:

1. I start Cubase.
  2. I initiate a conversation in either Google+ Hangouts or Facebook to facilitate my helper on the other end download and install the software, and to give them instructions on logging in, giving them a key, etc.
  3. End user attempts login and fails.
  4. I generate another code at my end and send it through either G+ or FB.
    etc.

In any case, there is only a few moments between the time I generate the code and when the user tries logging in.

It may be worth noting, though, that the VST Connect plugin on my end - even with two monitors - is never visible when I open up the other browser window (Chrome) to send them a key. However, once I send them the key, the VST Connect plugin doesn’t show that I’ve been logged off. By all appearances, I am still on line with the Steinberg server.

Which, I guess begs the question, how do other people communicate the key to a partner, perhaps on the other side of the planet, other than by telephone or text message? Doesn’t something like FB chat or Google+ chat seem to be a natural go-to for most people?

FWIW, my sessions with Ali and my Sister were done with Facebook chat, so the log is saved. I have itemized these attempts (Eastern Standard Time at my end, near Toronto, Canada) below. My friend Dave (who was the one who actually got in, but got the sample rate errors) and my mom (whose attempts look just like the ones below) were attempted via Google+ chat. Unfortunately, those did not get logged. In any case, maybe these logs from my end could be helpful.

My friend, Ali, running XP. (second day of trying) - Aug 19

monday 21:17 - ali - 16782 38953 - studio key ##### ##### is not logged in
monday 21:22 - ali - 29790 7667 - studio key not logged in

My sister, Deanna, running Win 7. - Aug 20

tuesday 21:32 - deanna - 31718 43126 - Server not responding (deanna side)
tuesday 21:37 - deanna - 31845 77898 - ‘Studio with Key 31845 77898 is not logged in!’
tuesday 21:40 deanna and I both shut down and restarted computers
tuesday 21:49 - no code generated on my side - server not responding (my side)
tuesday 21:49 - deanna - 69265 63873 - Server not responding (deanna side)
tuesday 21:50 - deanna - 82223 53080 - Server not responding again (82223 53080)

^ for the latest one, I didn’t clarify whether it was, in fact, a “server not responding” error if that was just how she put it, but was really a “not logged” in error. I find it unlikely that a server not responding error would generate the key back on her end, would it?

Maybe I’ll try with my sister or my mom again and send them the code via text message.

Thanks for your ongoing assistance. It is appreciated.

Chris