We want the buttons back!

“might”? Why would you first say that “although the Mixer redesign was somewhat needed for Nuage, the Nuendo Mixer layout has no relation to it.” only to now seemingly taking that back?

When I use a control surface it usually has two things: It has a physical controller (knob, fader or button) and some text describing what it does with few exceptions. So if I want to control, say, which monitor source I’ll be using, I’ll be looking at my control surface, find the group of buttons that control Control Room, read the text beneath the buttons, find the right one and push it, right? What does that have to do with tabs in the Nuendo CR GUI? Does the Nuendo mixer redesign for Nuage necessitate tabs in CR? Why does Nuage’s knob require Nuendo’s CR to use a slider???

Fair enough. A solution needed to be found. I’m certainly not arguing that all of the GUI is undesirable. I can absolutely see a need for a tweak of the GUI to account for current and upcoming features. However, and for example, in relationship to what you just pointed out, why would the edit window need the design it did? It fits well within most resolutions simply because it’s a lot smaller than the mixer as a whole. Just look at the comparisons posted by another poster between new and old and it simply seems weird to cut information/setup options out of the edit window rather than retain them and add more to it.

You do this from time to time when you’re talking to me for some reason. I did NOT say the basic concept of the mixer is a “big mistake”, so don’t go imply that I did. It’s annoying.

Yes, in principle the above would be correct. The question is what happens when most users seem to be “concentrating on” pretty much the same bits? Because it seems to me that most of the criticism ends up being about roughly the same handful of things missing, not a big “pile” of things.

It’s quite telling that Steinberg remains silent and you only respond to general commentary. Take for example using the near universal symbol for on/off two different ways; in one place it’s actually on/off of a plugin, and in another it’s bypass. You were free to comment on that as was SB. Neither did. That has nothing to do with the screen real estate or resizing, just crappy design (because it’s inconsistent).

If you and Steinberg are right, then why not communicate the ideas to us so we understand why there’s a reason for all the tabbing in the CR, for now being required to select a mixer section before using key commands (garbage), for symbols to use inconsistent fonts and be used inconsistently, etc.

I’ll just note that you have absolutely no problem with people talking about the mixer GUI in that other Nuage thread as long as they are making positive comments about it (e.g. csd), or as long as it’s you yourself commenting about it. Forgive me for saying that I find that line of moderation is unimpressive.