Old Beast - sax mix up

I liked it. No new comments but, again, I particularly like the bass.
J.L.

very well done. All the instruments sound real. NIce arrangement.

Thanx, the only real thing is my 40 year old Hammond A100 with a 145 leslie1

Nothing beats the real stuff.

cheers Peter

Love it! Nice groove to it.

Nice and funky. Trumpet sounds ok until you get to the part where it’s on its own. Great drums.

Didn’t hear the original prior to edits but current arrangement sounds great. The hat might be a bit loud or maybe just 2 much hi end on it. Could be the overhead mic bleed???
I love all the sounds but unfortunately the synth trumpet doesn’t cut it for me. Would be great to hear with a real player, that would put this piece over the top… but I understand expenses and not being able to get players to do this stuff :frowning:

Great writing and programing and superb playing!!!
Kenny

Tasty! Loved the groove and arrangement. jw

Still a lot of good and experienced listeners on this forum.
Lot of ( positive) remarks on the bass, thats is nice and confirms the quality of this VSTi, the playing took me some time placing the glissando’s and so on on the the right spot. Tweaked it in the mix with the usual EQ.
I agree with kzander about the hihat, it is prominent. I used a stylus beat for it will have a look at the kit again. :wink:
About the trumpet…yes i prefer the real stuff, did some collabs with Wim (HFH) maybe he wants to join in :wink:
Anyway some good feedback to work on. Thank you for that.

regards.

I’ve had enough with not having access to a trumpeter… :smiley: I’ve started asking around to see if I can find someone to use for the occasional jazz piece. No guarantees but maybe we’ll collectively get lucky.

You might try to dip (wide Q) a little around 2-4k to see if that helps on hat/cymbal 2 db should really be enough… also roll off starting around 16k. Just play around with those frequency cause im just guessing :slight_smile: Did you use a limiter on that channel?
As far as Trumpet goes I can turn you on to 2 great players They won’t be free but they are worth every cent :slight_smile: and from what I hear your music deserves the best. Wim is of coarse in a class all by himself and simply one of the best players I have ever heard! PM me if you want their contact info.
Kenny

Cousin of a close friend of mine is a professional tuba player. I spoke with him briefly this morning, and he said he knows several good trumpeters including jazz players. He and I are going to speak more about this sooner rather than later, so hopefully I’ll eventually have a name or two that we can introduce into the community.

But if you’re looking for “now” rather than “eventually,” Kenny may be the way to go.

I don’t do a dip at 2-4k, but I do roll off at around 15k if memory serves me correctly. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on the physical properties of the cymbals and the recording technique / signal chain.

Great job! Good groove and as everyone commented, the drums carry this tune nicely. Your keyboard playing is very jazz/funk oriented with not too much motion and a slick approach.
I feel you on having real players but you got as close as possible doing without. Your muted trumpet sounds much better than mine. :slight_smile:
I agree with Kenny on the hats. Not only were the chokes a little above the mix but they seemed detached because the choke hat is far right and the original hat is closer to the center of the stereo field. Because of that, it sounded too much like an overdub. If you could move it from the far right and combine it with the kit hat, that would be a super rap on this tune.
Again, great job and good luck with this.

Will

duuuuuude! was hooked within the first few bars, toe tappin. love the broken beat. boy very realistic too had to do a recheck. hmmmm and u say you used Roland module/Spectrasonics - kool. i was looking into that Roland module.

3 rd mix up , used my avalon comp/eq for it

still looking for the best mastering tweeks on it. Used wave lab

cheers peter

Hi Peter!

Long time no see!
Good to have you back! How’s things?

Great tune as usual, I love that Hammond!
And that bass playing is really cool! :sunglasses:

I’m in for another collab with you, so if you’d like me to play on this tune just let me know.

Cheers,
Wim

Sax mix up, thanx to Wim :smiley: groovy as always

desert

new mix for new forum :smiley:

That’s what it’s all about! Smokin Wim sounds great on this too!

:sunglasses: