East West QL Piano - Stuck notes

Ineresting.I used eastwest orchestra strings for about year now and no probs but yesterday after 6.5 update and opening project made in 6.04 i also have stuck notes on one Play instrument.All seems visually Ok but then the notes come in randomly, in random pitch and order…damn me for updating!

Fair enough…just saying steiny has a history of compatibility with various VIs, in my world.

I’ve been using VSL all day, so I can’t say if the latest play fixed it for me. Then again, I’m still on 6.0, too.

Latest public PLAY doesn’t fix it.

And tonight, I got a stuck note in the new VSL Vienna instruments Pro 2…only one, which I would normally write off as a non issue, but I thought I’d mention it, since we’re discussing whether this is about play versus cubase.

Do you have the steps to reproduce this? I don’t get stuck notes at all. Perhaps you guys are doing something I’m not?

I can’t make it do it. Not like it does it at the same point…or with one patch over another. I just hear dissonance in the arrangement…stop playback and realize its because some flute note was just stuck carrying through the progression. Reset on stop doesn’t fix it-unless it doesn’t bother you that you get that note droning during your arrangement. :wink:

I worked all night with the VSL without it sticking again, so, I’m chalking that up to a one time glitch. East west does it repeatedly in every session. Thus why I use it the least of the three I own…VSL, lass, and QLSO. It’s just the only non string orchestral sounds I have in software, so of I want to lighten a string arrangement with a flute or oboe…well…it’s what I’ve got.

I don’t have the beta, btw, I do mean the latest public download of play.

Oh, OK. Then that’s why I can’t reproduce it here :stuck_out_tongue:

Somehow I thought you meant public beta, nvm.

So has it been fixed in the beta version?

Interesting thing to say Jose,
I am a beta tester too but I got hanging notes once yesterday.
I will have to do more extensive testing but it did happen once.

Do you have any steps to reproduce?

I don’t have any steps to reproduce it because I don’t get stuck notes anymore. Everything works fine here. I always clean up my pedal data, so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with me not getting stuck notes. But I did used to get them even then in an earlier PLAY version. Let me know if you were able to figure out how to reproduce it and I will try it out here.

Take care!

FYI, the update that fixes this issue is out:

Enjoy!

Jose, some people (myself included) have found this to fix their problems with endlessly sustained notes, however while recording have found out that the pedal still does not release properly. Do you have that?

No, I don’t. I did have unwanted sustains at some point during playback. But that was just one time and I have not been able to reproduce it ever since. Seems like the bug is still there, but not being able to reproduce it 100% all of the time makes it a bit hard to figure out. If you can come up with a step-by-step recipie that’s bulletproof then we may be able to squash this one for good.

Take care!

Hi,

the sustain pedal still does not release properly here: not while playing live, not while recording and not during playback. A total disaster (for me) with all my play libraries.

Could you post a short audio clip? Also, which libraires are you refering to?

With (a lot of) shame about my timing you can find an audio file (mp3) and a jpeg.
I had to record audio during one playback to freeze the problem because I’m not able to reproduce when I want, but it’s random (during playback, during live playing and recording).
As you can see (and hear) the problem is between the 1st and 2nd bar, the 3rd and the fourth and at the end of the sequence.
I’m using EQWLSO, Symphonic Choirs, Fab 4, MOR 1&2, Ra, Silk, SD2, VOP.

SUSTAIN MP3.mp3 (180 KB)

Gianni,

Thanks a lot for providing those files. I still need to invistigate this further, but I think I may have found the reason why I don’t encounter this issue while others do have it. I need to do more testing before arrivng at a final conclusion. Your files help, thanks!

Hey Jose,

What do you think might be the reason? Maybe it can help me find a way to reproduce it too!

Hi,

I rolled back to Play 3.0.25. In 3.0.25 I have a similar but different problem. Here I have no problems while playing and recording but the sustain remains active (always) after recording a new part. To avoid this I have to go to menu/midi/reset and I have to do this every time I record a new part. Alternatively I can activate reset on stop in preferences/midi and this solves the problem not at the stop after recording, but at the stop after the first playback.
Unfortunately I can’t tell you if I had this behaviour in 3.0.25 before updating to 3.0.30 because I used 3.0.25 only in November to quickly trigger a drum (without using sustain pedal) and before I used 3.0.21 in August to program a guitar (with Cubase 6.0.3 or maybe 6.0.2 ?) without problems.

I hope this can help also with 3.0.30 .

Might as well add me to the list as well. Just trying to deal with it as best as possible since I couldn’t return it, but won’t buy no more until I see results.