UR-22 ASIO API Error

Hi, I’m trying to use the Steinberg UR-22 on ARTA platform for freq analysis and measurements. But the Steinberg’s ASIO prompted an error when I try to perform a loopback test:

I tried on another software HOLM, the application crashes when I try to generate a signal:

Log Name: Application
Faulting application name: HOLMImpulse.exe, version: 1.4.2.0, time stamp: 0x4afc22dc
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x004efdf0
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

I have no issues with other ASIO devices like EMU 0404 usb, EMU 0204 USB, Roland, Tascam or M-Audio using the softwares above.

So like to know if it is a software or a hardware issue?

thanks

I have used a UR28m together with REW (Room EQ Wizard). The new beta version offers an ASIO option which doesn’t seem to work properly with the UR, so I dropped back to the official Ver.5 and it worked with no problems.

Sad, I thought ASIO own by Steinberg will have no issues with ASIO support.

I ran a loopback test using windows WDM, the UR-22 perform horribly. Below is the loopback test using WDM Drivers at 96khz sample rate, pink noise

Why is the implementation of ASIO (or failure to properly do so) by any given company suddenly translate to being an issue with Steinbergs ASIO support? Yes Steinberg designed the ASIO standard, and they implement it with no problems. But if someone designs a new software, and attempts to incorporate support for ASIO drivers, and doesn’t do it properly, then your recourse is to complain to the authors of the software in question.

Look at your error messages however, it says in plain text to the effect that your software does not support the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver so take it up with ARTA and ask them when and if they will support it.

Further I might add, there is some speculation that the use of an audio interface over USB (much the same as a USB Mic) should not be profiled or calibrated as one would a normal audio signal interface. Unfortunaltely that is new territory for me too, and why I’ve corresponded to the maker of REW.

I never mentioned its Steinberg ASIO’s fault.

To me any audio device especially used by pro audio industry “MUST” be able to perform like a calibrated devices. A difference in acoustic signal strength like 3dB can make a huge audible difference, espeically for the upper regions freq.

Otherwise brands like Mytek, Larvey or Lynx can close shop.

This is why I assumed you were blaming Steinberg.

Also, WDM drivers I believe are not from Steinberg or Yamaha and therefore not recommended for critical testing.

Guess what, the developer of ARTA has replied me:

Hi,
the message on bad format means that UR-22 driver does not support floating point 4-byte format, which is standard format for ASIO interface.
Funny thing is that Steinberg does not support their own standard ASIO sample format.
Fell free to send this information to Steinberg.
Best,
IM

So this is the point at which a mod would have to step in…

EdDoll, Stefan, any comments ?

Any offical Steinberg staff could help me with this issue?

Hi,
We are currently investigating this issue.
The technical statement quoted here is questionable and our engineering will get in contact with the developer of ARTA to clarify how to proceed regarding this topic.
We are very interested to provide all of our customers the best support available. Therefore we will be looking into solving this issue as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

Thank you Stefan.

any news on this?

???

Hi,

I bought the UR22 for use together with ARTA and have similar problem and would also like to know if this issue is getting any priority?

Regard,
Mogens

We will release a new Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for both Mac and Windows that addresses this issue tomorrow.

Hi Ed,

Thank you. I had a quick test and ARTA doesn’t crash anymore. I will make a more thorough test in the coming days.

Best regards,
Mogens

Good to know! Thanks!