[ISSUE] Audio -> Close gaps (time stretch) issue/efficiency

Hi all,

I quantized multitrack drums by slicing for a 5 minute track and I’m trying to close the gaps with time stretch with the Audio->Advanced->Close Gaps (time stretch) function.

Nuendo is working for the past hour and still not there yet. I can see the CPU usage at 10% only.
Is it an issue that this function is not optimised for multiprocessing or something like that as it is not using the full CPU and it’s taking ages to complete?

The issue is easily reproducible.
On a project with lets say 10 tracks of live drums all lined up, create hitpoints on the kick and snare tracks and slice all the tracks on the quantize panel, quantize the tracks on 16th notes and then do audio->advanced->close gaps (time stretch).
It takes ages to complete and CPU usage is very low.

My system details are on my signature.

Can this be classified as a bug then?
It’s happening in any project I’m trying to close gaps with this method.

I have to add that the process did complete, so it was not a case of Nuendo being stuck or crashing etc but it took about 2 hours. CPU utilisation on OSX 10.7.5 was not exceeding 10% on my system (description in my signature).

So can this be classified as a bug then and have a comment from Steinberg that they took notice and that it will be fixed? I have 12 songs of live drums to quantize and I don’t want to spend 2 hours on each track waiting for the close gaps function to finish.

The issue is easily reproducible.
On a project with lets say 10 tracks of live drums all lined up, create hitpoints on the kick and snare tracks and slice all the tracks on the quantize panel, quantize the tracks on 16th notes and then do audio->advanced->close gaps (time stretch).
It takes ages to complete and CPU usage is very low.

I did this on N5 many times and it was a breeze to do… and it went rather swiftly, too.
Any N6ers who an chip in?? Would be a pita if this was a Nuendo bug… Hehehe…another one… :wink:

Big K
Where are my buttons??

I know this doesn’t address the original problem but you may find the audio quality better for what you are doing if you close the gaps without timestrech and then crossfade.

Dean

Hey Rickard,
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried that, but then I get issues with the decay of the cymbals not sounding natural with the crossfades option.

To get the decay glitch free just crossfade right before the next attack. Also a short croassfade seems to work best for me. Sometimes I have to play with it though.

Dean

Any news from Steinberg on this? Same behaviour in 6.0.6 as well

Bump.

Has this issue been looked at and confirmed yet?
Is this going to be resolved in the next update?