7.0.6 Workspaces with Mix Console

Hi there,

yes they stayed in the correct position and set- up.
Maybe I oversee something?

Would be good if you send me some screen shots, saved locked workspace and then reopening it.
I PM you right now.

Best regards,

Marcus

Marcus

great, that would be cool … but we are on very different time frames. It might take a day or two to cycle through the communications. I’m good with that though.

Hi there,

no worries…just send them when you got time.
Already wrote the PM.

Best regards,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Yes, my Workspaces are locked.

Here’s a screen, though I’m not sure what this tells you since all mixers look identical!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49631191/misc%20images/Screen%20Shot%202013-09-20%20at%2014.28.01.png

When the Workspace is saved, mixer 1 (bottom) was set up with Audio tracks only; mixer 2 Instruments and mixer 3 Groups & FX returns.

I have tried this many times and have found Global workspaces never recall channel types correctly. If a project is saved with the Workspaces, it sometimes loads correctly, sometimes not. As far as I can tell, there’s still some work to be done here.

I should add that Global Workspaces do not recall Zones either, so input/output channels need to be reassigned when applying workspaces to existing projects.

Hi there,

this I can not reproduce here.
It is working flawlessly, but I use project workspaces and not the global workspaces.
Global workspaces can not be used for project specific workspaces as far as I know

please try to use only locked project workspaces instead.
Still issues?

Best regards,

Marcus

This is absolutely correct.
Global Workspaces should work in this way.
You need to edit the Global Workspace and save it as a project workspace and lock it.

Best regards,

Marcus

Hey Marcus,

the issue at hand here is the ability to use my Workspaces across different projects. This requires the use of Global Presets, but they do not recall channel types used on each mixer. Surely this is not the intended behaviour???

The net result is that I have to set up Workspaces for each new project. But even if I do this, they are not recalling perfectly 100% of the time. Channel widths also seem to randomly change, but that’s a whole other issue!

OK, thanks.

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH … I get it now. This is the problem. I understand that the globals have to be moved to the project and locked … but the setting should carry. That’s the point of “Global” so I don’t have to create workspaces for each project.

So, that “resolves”, but not in a good way, one of my problems.

The point is that how should a Global preset know, what happens in every specific project?
This can not work.

So you will have to edit the Global workspace once in your project and save/ lock it.

This how it has ever been working for me…since Cubase 4…if I remember…it correctly…?

Hopefully this will solve your issue…

Best regards,

Marcus

If this does not solve the issue, please get back to me…

Best regards,

Marcus

No, my mixer settings from global work across all my projects in 6.5 and prior.

Sorry, but I’m finding the use of Global Presets very erratic when loading them into an existing project. Here is an example. When saved (and locked) this screen was the arrange page with a floating mixer. Upon recall, I get this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49631191/misc%20images/Screen%20Shot%202013-09-20%20at%2015.20.26.png

Upon switching Workspace, the channel widths return at a random width until ultimately I get:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49631191/misc%20images/Screen%20Shot%202013-09-20%20at%2015.21.47.png

I’ve been through this process many times today.

Could this be related to the fact that the project had previous 6.5 Workspaces assigned? Am I expecting too much?

I’m trying to get my existing 6.5 templates working with Workspaces in C7. But whatever I try, I end up with strange behaviour and ultimately a crash upon recalling certain Workspace configurations.

Thanks

Yes it can work, the state of the mixer is a preset. You don’t need to know the track state to have the “view” of the mixer configuration remain stable across projects.

Individual project settings need individual project workspaces.
Once edited and locked they are staying the way I saved/locked them.
Global workspaces can not save the individual view zone settings and sticky channels on the left and right.
You will have to edit them and save them as a project/local workspace.
It is working here.

But getting back to Mr. Helstrip and the 6.5 Projects and workspaces:

This may not work, because 6.5 had a different behavior and no mixconsole.
So you will have to edit and lock/save them again.

So it is more interesting for me if they once edited in a new Cubase 7 project and locked/saved,
do they stay then?

Best regards,

Marcus

I’m talking Rack Config, Track ‘TYPES’ displayed or not, Input/Output displayed or not. Those should all be global.

I understand the zones are project specific.

Yes,
I can follow your way…I will get in contact with our developer guys when I have news about this and if this is or could be integrated.

Best regards,

Marcus

Perhaps the problem for me is projects started in 6.5. Applying Workspaces in C7 seems to be adding some corruption/unpredictability. Perhaps my only way around this is to start my templates from scratch in C7 - something I don’t relish!

Now that I’ve had a little epiphany I guess I’ll bite the bullet and trash my 6.5 templates and see what happens. I guess my expectations and stubbornness got in the way. Having to do so many project specific templates will not be fun. That takes us back to the days where you just end up making a huge project and duplicating it to begin a new project just to avoid all the setup. I still do this to some degree because of the number of multi-out VSTi I use.