Use Quickeys/Keyboard Maestro/Autohotkey to enhance Cubase

Funny you should mention it - I’ve harnessed Keyboard Maestro to do some pretty in-depth macros in Pro Tools and Cubase for what I consider to be missing functionality. Where there’s a need, fill it, I say.

Here’s a few things I’ve wrangled Keyboard Maestro to do:

• Using an X-Keys button bank that trigger custom Logical Editors to normalize MIDI event velocities
  • Set up a custom key command to open the last-opened project file (like Pro Tools’ Shift+Cmd+O)
  • To automatically give the Search field focus in the New Track From Preset window as soon as the window appears (I use a custom library of instrument track presets to build projects rapidly and it’s irritating that focus is not defaulted to the search field - are you listening, Steinberg?)
  • Whenever the MIDI Key Editor window appears, automatically run the command to show all used CC automation lanes (again, irritating that there is not an option in Cubase to make this happen automatically)
  • Last but not least: a very convoluted macro that I use to archive projects which:
  • Analyzes the project window title and uses a regular expression to deduce the project name
    • Removes empty tracks
    • Adjusts window positions and conforms the workspace
    • Selects Back up Project
    • Uses keystrokes as well as the project name to select the destination folder to backup to

Takes time to set things up and debug the macros, but pays off in the long run!